Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

They have not been led to the water.

There is a good amount of youth on this team, in positions where the Ravens really need high quality production. However, I believe the bigger issue is that the philosophy has left this team without an identity. When you combine a passive aggressive approach on defense, with a ball control offense led by a QB who prefers to take chances, the team loses it's identity in times of adversity. Traditionally, the Ravens have carried an attacking philosophy on defense and it is something the personnel can resonate with. It's clear, precise and to the point. For years, the Ravens have lacked an offense that could hold it's own. Now that they've finally developed one, it has to be concerned more with the manner in which it scores, than in the scoring itself. At least, so it seems.

The Ravens have been a team that also, traditionally, likes to drag games through the mud, but much of that was due to the inability of the offense to hold it's own. They need to evolve. It's time to take the approach that you're not going to drag the fight down a dark alley, but that you're going to serve up a beatdown right in the middle of the street. Attack.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: They have not been led to the water.

just say it Ex..we have no leadership on this team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    just say it Ex..we have no leadership on this team.
    I think there is leadership. It may not be the boisterous leadership that we in Baltimore are used to seeing, that will call out bad coaching through press conferences. I'd guess the players are trying to go about it the right way behind the scenes. Honestly, I'm not sure what the issue is with that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I disagree with the Letter Opener of Verdite.

I heard the same noise about Coughlin, who ended up winning two Super Bowls amid a less than smooth years. We all know John Harbaugh was my favorite kick toy a few years back. I have little doubt he is a leader and a good one.

On the road, we lose two tight games. Injuries, distance, and a few bad plays separate us from 2-0. Sure, good teams find away. If we get blown out, I agree, we gave both those teams all they wanted and more. Not our day. Twice.

IF we turn it around and make the playoffs, there will not be one team that is going to say, oh good, we got the Ravens. Not even the "Mighty" Patriots want to see us.

Sure, it could get worse, but it isn't leadership that is our problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    There is a good amount of youth on this team, in positions where the Ravens really need high quality production. However, I believe the bigger issue is that the philosophy has left this team without an identity. When you combine a passive aggressive approach on defense, with a ball control offense led by a QB who prefers to take chances, the team loses it's identity in times of adversity. Traditionally, the Ravens have carried an attacking philosophy on defense and it is something the personnel can resonate with. It's clear, precise and to the point. For years, the Ravens have lacked an offense that could hold it's own. Now that they've finally developed one, it has to be concerned more with the manner in which it scores, than in the scoring itself. At least, so it seems.

The Ravens have been a team that also, traditionally, likes to drag games through the mud, but much of that was due to the inability of the offense to hold it's own. They need to evolve. It's time to take the approach that you're not going to drag the fight down a dark alley, but that you're going to serve up a beatdown right in the middle of the street. Attack.
    What's the Bengals identity? or the Cardinals or the Lions or even the Patriots? Not every team can be the fastest or baddest on the block. Teams that are balanced and flexible do win in this league.

I prefer the Rex Ryan organized chaos with Ed Reed coming out of nowhere to make plays or Sam Adams collapsing offensive lines days, but that's the past. We don't have those kind of players. The Ravens need to win with flexibility and execution like those other milquetoast teams.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What's the Bengals identity? or the Cardinals or the Lions or even the Patriots? Not every team can be the fastest or baddest on the block. Teams that are balanced and flexible do win in this league.

I prefer the Rex Ryan organized chaos with Ed Reed coming out of nowhere to make plays or Sam Adams collapsing offensive lines days, but that's the past. We don't have those kind of players. The Ravens need to win with flexibility and execution like those other milquetoast teams.
    Exactly why I don't understand how Art Brown doesn't get more time. Forget about feelings. If Daryl has to come off sometimes it helps EVERYONE. Coaches/scouts get live game evaluation. Daryl gets a quick breather. Art gets some run.

I'd rather start slow, losing nail bitters early....and then win them towards the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

Well-stated, and I concur; however, the only problem with this is that this team will NEVER get back to that style of Defense with Swiss Pees ru(i)ning the Defense!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

there's a fair amount of "you can't make em drink" happening here too, imho.

And as far as the attacking D goes - that memory is becoming more and more distant in the rear view. When was the last time we had that attacking D we all crave? Not during Pees tenure, certainly not during Mattison's... closest was Pagano and to me it didn't seem until his last year were we finally resembling the Ravens of old.
    "insert witty comment"

Quote Originally Posted by winnipegraven View Post

And as far as the attacking D goes - that memory is becoming more and more distant in the rear view. When was the last time we had that attacking D we all crave? Not during Pees tenure, certainly not during Mattison's... closest was Pagano and to me it didn't seem until his last year were we finally resembling the Ravens of old.
    The current motto for the D seems to be "don't screw up" rather than "make the opposing team screw up".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by INeverRelax View Post
    The current motto for the D seems to be "don't screw up" rather than "make the opposing team screw up".
    That's a pretty good description of Bend not Break

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winnipegraven View Post

Last year's playoff game against Pitt

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's a pretty good description of Bend not Break
    it sure is