Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: ESPN Investigation into NFL/Patriots

The quality of ESPN's investigative journalism for the NFL has been so bad that it's hard to trust any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The quality of ESPN's investigative journalism for the NFL has been so bad that it's hard to trust any of it.
    It's almost as bad as the NFL's.

I'm not surprised by the article...although the stealing of play sheets is nuts. But yeah, this is ESPN and they are out to get a story and they cobbled together some old stuff and made one.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The NFL has a chance with an appeal, the judge's opinion when he ruled seemed odd. Past that it's all sour grapes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It's almost as bad as the NFL's.

I'm not surprised by the article...although the stealing of play sheets is nuts. But yeah, this is ESPN and they are out to get a story and they cobbled together some old stuff and made one.
    I doubt ESPN put this story out now on their own. This smells like they got a wink and a nod from the NFL. I agree that the other owners are going to try to push Kraft out of their club.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

oy vey

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No it's not. That was KVV.
    That one was KVV and Don Van Natta who is also the co-author of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No it's not. That was KVV.
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...er-goodell-nfl

They collaborated. I'm also not saying the article doesn't contain valid accusations against the Pats - just that Van Natta has a habit of including every comment from a disgruntled employee, player and opponent and giving those statements the same level of credibility as documented evidence. Considering that KVV was pretty well respected around prior to that piece I'd say the common thread - the feel of a hatchet job is Van Natta's thumbprint.

Hopefully this will be Goodell's last year. Even with making money for the league, the credibility is starting to crumble. People are starting to question things that are happening.

Blog Entries

My take on Deflategate is the NFL tried to nail the Pats for a long history of wrongdoing by rolling it all into this investigation of a single instance of cheating in one game.

One thing I agree with as far as the evidence is that the "Deflator" texts from spring 2014 do more to show a pattern of cheating than they do to show cheating at the 2015 AFCCG specifically. What the NFL should have done is not limit the scope of the Wells investigation to only the 2015 AFCCG. If they had opened up the floor to the full extent of the deflation issue, to see how far back it went, then I think they would have ended up with a better case overall --- even though of course they never would have exact PSI readings from the older games, but still, you get enough people to talk, you'll get what you need.

Instead, by limiting the Wells invesigation to only focus on one game, while pulling circumstantial evidence from months prior, the NFL kind of shot itself in the foot. The Judge was even asking the NFL "what does this all have to do with this one specific game?"

So now it's not surprising that the NFL probably has cobbled together the rest of the dirty laundry they didn't air in the Wells report, and handed off to ESPN.

To me this shows a division among the owners. Some wanted to nail the Patriots to the wall and hang them out to dry. Some surely did not. The compromise then, was the limited-scope Wells investigation. Instead of going for the whole cheating culture, they limited it to just the one game where they had them red-handed.

The "nail em to the wall" faction, or some portion thereof, is probably how we got today's ESPN story.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That one was KVV and Don Van Natta who is also the co-author of this one.
    I remember Van Natta on the radio spouting off the day of the stealers game as well, which is why i remembered the name.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1;970625[B
    ]Goodell really screwed up by covering up SpyGate. It made the Patriots think that the rules don't apply to them.[/B] That has perpetuated the arrogance of Brady, Belichick, Kraft, and that entire organization that they can continue to skirt the rules with impunity.

Look at all of the other teams who have recently won multiple Super Bowls (ie. "dynasties"). Between the Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, and Patriots, only the Patriots have had a lot of smoke around them related to cheating. A lot of other teams won a lot, so these charges aren't due to other teams/fans being "jealous" of the Patriots success. Where there is this much smoke, there is usually fire.
    Exactly. That's why it was important that they be punished for what they did. I believe had he instituted real punishment, that they would not have been deflating footballs this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    I remember Van Natta on the radio spouting off the day of the stealers game as well, which is why i remembered the name.
    Even the MO of releasing it two days before a big game, like he did with us, matches.