Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sal's big Oops

Re: Sal's big Oops

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Meh. He made the report, screwed it up and owned up to it.

That's far more than what KVV did after his report was completely debunked.

Given his reputation, I give him a pass. He most likely got fed something from a source that's been reliable in the pat and got burned. Happens to all reporters.
    I hear what you are saying and generally I have seen Sal outside of the trash heap of the Four-Letter Network (like Aaron Wilson in the Baltimore Scum). My beef is with the idea that irresponsible "reporting or commentary" by somebody with the power of the media can be shrugged off with a simple "sorry" while everybody else has to deal with the fall-out. In too many other professions, if you are careless with the tongue you can get a major smackdown (including getting fired), but that is not the normal response to the media.

What KVV did was a house fire compared to Sal's couch fire, but it was a fire nonetheless. For me, now that he has come out and said it was all made-up, he should publicly call out any media that uses it as the basis for a story or for commentary. I will not hold my breath though.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's an excellent point. We really experienced true yellow journalism in the KVV article. This just isn't that bad.
    That KVV article and subsequent defense of it, was basically a what not to do as a journalist.

This to me is along the same lines, though I do think he was misquoted to a degree and 2 separate stories were combined without his intent. speaking for somebody else is usually not a good idea, especially in a field where your job is merely "reporting" facts not opinions. He owned up to it, so while it doesnt take away that is happened, it does mean hes willing to admit mistakes, which clearly isnt the case with all of them.
    -JAB

I'm not sure where the KVV article enters into it. That argument is like saying that what Greg Hardy did wasn't so bad; at least he didn't knock his girl unconscious like Ray Rice did.

Yes, what KVV did was worse. But that doesn't mean what Sal did wasn't bad. Sadly it's becoming more commonplace in modern journalism because it is so competitive. But putting out a false, unverified story is the greatest sin a journalist can commit.

Forgivable? Sure. But let's not downplay it just because someone else once did something much worse.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I'm not sure where the KVV article enters into it. That argument is like saying that what Greg Hardy did wasn't so bad; at least he didn't knock his girl unconscious like Ray Rice did.

Yes, what KVV did was worse. But that doesn't mean what Sal did wasn't bad. Sadly it's becoming more commonplace in modern journalism because it is so competitive. But putting out a false, unverified story is the greatest sin a journalist can commit.

Forgivable? Sure. But let's not downplay it just because someone else once did something much worse.
    Sal owned his mistake, KVV to this day has yet to even remotely show contrition for the numerous errors in his report.

I'm not forgiving one by pointing out the other. Rather, I brought up KVV as an example of how not to handle thing when your caught fucking up.

Sal owned his mistake, KVV to this day has yet to even remotely show contrition for the numerous errors in his report.

I'm not forgiving one by pointing out the other. Rather, I brought up KVV as an example of how not to handle thing when your caught fucking up.
    And I give Sal full marks for that. It's good to own up to it when you fuck up. It's better to not fuck up in the first place. It's not that hard to simply NOT run a story that you have not verified.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

And I give Sal full marks for that. It's good to own up to it when you fuck up. It's better to not fuck up in the first place. It's not that hard to simply NOT run a story that you have not verified.
    people are inherently imperfect. while i dont disagree that its easy to just not fuck up in a lot of cases, that doesnt mean it still doesnt happen. being able to admit and go around the country clearing up/apologizing for a mistake that really others made in interpreting his story I think shows good character and journalism ethics.

At the end of the day, he said Bisciotti will be upset about the suspension not being upheld when he was apparently apathetic about it. a generalization that many of us would haev probably made ourselves and a lot lesser degree than what some of these other writers have been guilty of.
    -JAB

Forever a bozo in my book.

Well, we are all guessing.

If he gets the info from a trusted source who has been accurate in the past, how does he not run it?

Reporters get burned by sources. It's the nature of the job and something every reporter has to deal with.

Sal was just tired of schefter getting the wrong scoops publicized and put one out there to get his name spoken by pat fans, LOL. When I first heard it, I thought it would just reinforce what all pat fans already thought. THen I thought Sal was making the 2 owners scapegoats for goodell not budging. But Sal did mention other AFC teams were in line with Irsay and Biscotti.

In this day, putting out false info is the norm, but apologizing later is rare. Schefter hasn't apologized for being a pat ass kisser yet, LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Schefter hasn't apologized for being a pat ass kisser yet, LMAO.
    Or for riding roughshod over medical privacy concerns. You can tell what a person is really like by the way he deals with his mistakes. Shefter has shown me he is not a stand-up guy - actually, not all that different from Brady.