Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Who will emerge as the second vertical threat?

Breshad Perriman will eventually count as one vertical threat as long as he stays healthy. Who will be the second? Who will be that Jacoby Jones vertical threat that comes in 3 and 4 Wide sets while everyone pays attention to vertical threat #1. Who will be that vertical threat if Perriman gets hurt?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Who will emerge as the second vertical threat?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Breshad Perriman will eventually count as one vertical threat as long as he stays healthy. Who will be the second? Who will be that Jacoby Jones vertical threat that comes in 3 and 4 Wide sets while everyone pays attention to vertical threat #1. Who will be that vertical threat if Perriman gets hurt?
    Waller.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

injury is really the only question here. we didnt ever really use "duel" vertical threats.

Id assume Waller fits the mold best but I think Campanaro could fill that role in a similar fashion.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Way too early to know. Wait until the 3rd playoff game

Steve Smith was still very much a deep threat last year so I wouldn't count on him automatically falling back into the work-the-middle possession receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Steve Smith was still very much a deep threat last year so I wouldn't count on him automatically falling back into the work-the-middle possession receiver.
    :word

"Vertical threat" doesn't have to be a burner. Someone who's 15-yard-out and fly patterns look the same can do the job nicely.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Way too early to know. Wait until the 3rd playoff game
    GOTA............for the win............
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    The wheels do have to come off at some point.

Blog Entries

During the 2012 season, they occasionally went with two vertical threats. It was like a domino effect. Torrey got the double team, which opened up things for Pitta and Boldin (In the slot in the playoffs). Then, when the attention was geared toward the middle of the field, people would forget about Jacoby.

The wheels do have to come off at some point.
    The wheels were already off last season. He wasn't getting open deep by blazing off the line in a fly pattern, but he did keep getting open deep.

--He got deep in each game against the Bengals. (The second one was wiped out by the OPI call) Both times, it was on scramble drills.
    --He got over the top twice against the Panthers: once on a pump fake, and once on a fumbled snap.
    --His deep ball against the Bucs is a perfect example of why SSSr is a deep threat even without the wheels he used to have. It came on a perfect double move on a play-action pass.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Butler?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    injury is really the only question here. we didnt ever really use "duel" vertical threats.

Id assume Waller fits the mold best but I think Campanaro could fill that role in a similar fashion.
    Agree.

Vertical threat must do a couple of things.
    1- Expose a CB by making him give a cushion of respect at the line of scrimmage
    (When we were going with patchwork secondary, we were giving 7+ yards off the line in accordance with our bend/don't break philosophy)
    2- force the D into some type of high help (Tampa 2, rolled safety....) effectively taking a man out of the box.
    (I seem to remember someone -DeCosta?-telling Forsett that we did that for him with the Perriman pick)

SSSr or Pitta/Gilmore deep isn't an inate threat, it is a situational/scheme thing ... neither has the speed to blow by a defender and force the cushion coverage. Now they may end up deep and open, but as someone else stated, scramble can be the reason also.

Baltimore Colts traded Big Daddy Lipscomb and Buzz Nutter to get Jimmy Orr.
    Jimmy averaged about 5 yds/catch more than Raymond Berry. We needed speed back then, we still need speed today

Jacoby's issue was hands (Patrick Johnson anyone?) He had the speed to command respect but not the human vaccuum cleaner to force any major adjustment.

Be interesting to watch things develop, it is more than getting open, it is finding the ball, adjusting and catching that we don't know with some new pieces yet.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old