Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 5 Predominately Black Churches Have Been Destroyed By Fire In The Past Week

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Dade is referring to a much deeper and darker historical period in America than the horrific 1990s...hairstyles, fashion, and mostly no football aside.
    And yet Dade could not be bothered to explain. Though he did have time to be condescending and dismissive.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    And yet Dade could not be bothered to explain. Though he did have time to be condescending and dismissive.
    Pot, kettle ....

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Pot, kettle ....
    I will explain all my points.

Ok wow. First, how could anyone interpret my post even immediately think of some kind of "church burning hoax". Given the history of black churches being burned down in this country, I think it would be clear what I was getting at. A "the more things change, the more things stay the same" type of attitude.

I agree with HR and darb. I am waiting on the investigation before deciding what/who caused these fires. Just with the current mood in the country and recent events has me less than optimistic. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't 3 of them been determined to be arson?

Just a little history...the first recorded black church to burn was the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1822. There were 10 burnings/bombings between 1950-1969. In 1974 Alberta Williams King, mother of Martin Luther King, Jr., was shot and killed at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia (not a burning but I thought still relevant as an attack). Between 1995 and 1996, 34 black churches burned.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Ok wow. First, how could anyone interpret my post even immediately think of some kind of "church burning hoax". Given the history of black churches being burned down in this country, I think it would be clear what I was getting at. A "the more things change, the more things stay the same" type of attitude.

I agree with HR and darb. I am waiting on the investigation before deciding what/who caused these fires. Just with the current mood in the country and recent events has me less than optimistic. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't 3 of them been determined to be arson?

Just a little history...the first recorded black church to burn was the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1822. There were 10 burnings/bombings between 1950-1969. In 1974 Alberta Williams King, mother of Martin Luther King, Jr., was shot and killed at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia (not a burning but I thought still relevant as an attack). Between 1995 and 1996, 34 black churches burned.
    16% of Church fires are arson. Tied for second with heating system failures as cause of fire. Interesting tidbit I just stumbled upon.

The fire Tuesday night was, according to the Governor, caused by bad weather.

"An average of 31 houses of worship burned every week from 2007 through 2011, according to a 2013 estimate by the National Fire Protection Association, which analyzed government data and survey results.

Among these, arson was relatively rare: Just 16 percent of the estimated blazes at religious structures were intentionally set during the five-year period ending in 2011. That means arsonists set fire to roughly five each week. The figures include a small number of funeral homes and do not distinguish between predominantly white and black congregations."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...ch-sc-32142069

And that information was on the third page of a google search. Three in a week from arson is a down trend.

Naturally media has to incite a race war, so we get "Black Churches Burning!" as a headline instead of, "Slow Week in Church Fires."

To sum up: Racism may or may not have been the reason those Churches were targeted for arson. The fact remains Churches have been catching on fire at this rate for at least the last 10 years.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Right, do you have a recent example of such? Or are we supposed to hold onto 1822 burnings forever?
    Because between 1995-1996, the average number of churches burned. But media made a big stink about it at the time. Apparently you could not be bothered to pay attention to what I posted about that.
    So yes, when you post 3 churches burned, I think it needs to be explained that this could just be the normal number, and that a group, in this instance the Southern Law Poverty Center, is trying to stoke the fires of racial tensions.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    16% of Church fires are arson. Tied for second with heating system failures as cause of fire. Interesting tidbit I just stumbled upon.

The fire Tuesday night was, according to the Governor, caused by bad weather.

"An average of 31 houses of worship burned every week from 2007 through 2011, according to a 2013 estimate by the National Fire Protection Association, which analyzed government data and survey results.

Among these, arson was relatively rare: Just 16 percent of the estimated blazes at religious structures were intentionally set during the five-year period ending in 2011. That means arsonists set fire to roughly five each week. The figures include a small number of funeral homes and do not distinguish between predominantly white and black congregations."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...ch-sc-32142069

And that information was on the third page of a google search. Three in a week from arson is a down trend.

Naturally media has to incite a race war, so we get "Black Churches Burning!" as a headline instead of, "Slow Week in Church Fires."

To sum up: Racism may or may not have been the reason those Churches were targeted for arson. The fact remains Churches have been catching on fire at this rate for at least the last 10 years.
    You get no argument from me on the statistics and downward trend.

Maybe I'm not being clear here.

When arsonist target 3 churches, based on history and the current climate, I am wary of the motivations of the arsonist. As always, I am open to new information and reevaluation (when investigations are done).
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

You get no argument from me on the statistics and downward trend.

Maybe I'm not being clear here.

When arsonist target 3 churches, based on history and the current climate, I am wary of the motivations of the arsonist. As always, I am open to new information and reevaluation (when investigations are done).
    I think the current climate is mostly a media-driven narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I think the current climate is mostly a media-driven narrative.
    I'd say you are correct. Crazy white kid kill 9 innocent people, because a confederate flag is in a photo of the kid, the flag is the subject now. Suspect dies in paddy wagon and the whole city of Baltimore pays for by being torched, stores robbed, and all police get abuse(except the commissioner).

If some of these churches were arson, it is a product of people who have no respect for anything and have a need to do bad things. White or black, people seize the moment to go crazy.

Yet the media only produces bits and pieces do to their poor investigating. Things that incite others to react violently.. Like the crazy white kid who read the reports the media published and decided blacks were to blame. The acts of a few have set the USA on a path of violence.

The current trend in journalism(or lack thereof) should always make one suspect of their motives. The rebel flag is being attacked, and rightfully so IMO. Southern states are facing the same criticism. It's only a matter of time that the Maryland flag is brought into the discussion since there is both confederate and union symbolism on it. I don't have a horse in that race being born of an immigrant parent and the other one of immigrant stock. They had their own struggles. I do believe the media is fanning the flame of racial tensions by sensationalizing stories irresponsibly. With Marijuana based churches and the church of the Flying Spaghetti monster gaining tax exempt status by obviously mocking traditional religions, we're in for a wild ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    The current trend in journalism(or lack thereof) should always make one suspect of their motives. The rebel flag is being attacked, and rightfully so IMO. Southern states are facing the same criticism. It's only a matter of time that the Maryland flag is brought into the discussion since there is both confederate and union symbolism on it. I don't have a horse in that race being born of an immigrant parent and the other one of immigrant stock. They had their own struggles. I do believe the media is fanning the flame of racial tensions by sensationalizing stories irresponsibly. With Marijuana based churches and the church of the Flying Spaghetti monster gaining tax exempt status by obviously mocking traditional religions, we're in for a wild ride.
    The Crossland Banner was never used as a symbol of racism after the fact. I don't think people are going to cause a stink about MD's flag.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The Crossland Banner was never used as a symbol of racism after the fact. I don't think people are going to cause a stink about MD's flag.
    I hope you're right since I like that flag. But I never identified some of the other state flags brought into the discussion with racism either.