Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Arthur Brown trying to find a spot

Forgive me if this article was posted elsewhere but he is often brought up and I felt like the topic could use it's own thread. I feel like he doesn't' get his due because of circumstance really. He is playing a position that has 2 of the best players on the team in front of him. If one of them goes down this season, we will see him get a lot of snaps and I personally don't' feel that there will be a lot of drop off. If neither Smith or Mosley goes down, the Ravens will have the luxury of having a really good player wasting away at a position of depth.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...1-4fc12653d1ad

Blog Entries

Re: Arthur Brown trying to find a spot

I agree with you. i havent seen his play in the preseason as a liability. Dedicating himself to STs this offseason probably should have been done last year though. Almost sounds as if he thought STs were beneath him or at the very least, not something he needed to try to be good at. That very well may be why Orr and McCellan played over him at STs.
    -JAB

Let me play a bit of the devil's advocate here. If AB was showing the coaching staff enough, wouldn't that make Smith expendable? If the players are close to equal, wouldn't it make more sense to have a twenty-something 2nd round pick on the field over a player in his mid-thirties?

Perhaps Smith's cap number is friendly enough that isn't the case - I will concede I don't know if off of the top of my head.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    Let me play a bit of the devil's advocate here. If AB was showing the coaching staff enough, wouldn't that make Smith expendable? If the players are close to equal, wouldn't it make more sense to have a twenty-something 2nd round pick on the field over a player in his mid-thirties?

Perhaps Smith's cap number is friendly enough that isn't the case - I will concede I don't know if off of the top of my head.
    His cap hit isnt that bad and he had just signed the contract. Hes also a leader of the defense. theres a lot of reasons to stick with Smith over Brown even if they were very similar in talent. not to mention Having a cheap backup has value in itself.
    -JAB

I'll believe that Arthur Brown is even an average NFL player when I see him taking meaningful snaps on Sundays.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'll believe that Arthur Brown is even an average NFL player when I see him taking meaningful snaps on Sundays.
    I agree. He has looked really athletic out there in preseason and looks like he can make a couple splash plays, but only the players and coaching staff know if he's out there making mistakes and unreliable.

To me, his handling by the team just screams "we don't think we can trust him on the field yet to be where he is supposed to be, when he is supposed to be" by the coaches and we all know players that Harbs and his staff can't trust don't play.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I agree. He has looked really athletic out there in preseason and looks like he can make a couple splash plays, but only the players and coaching staff know if he's out there making mistakes and unreliable.

To me, his handling by the team just screams "we don't think we can trust him on the field yet to be where he is supposed to be, when he is supposed to be" by the coaches and we all know players that Harbs and his staff can't trust don't play.
    That's what it sounds like to me, because he is far more athletic than Daryl Smith. If that were the issue then Brown would be on the field. Smith isn't very good at shedding blocks either. If that were the issue Brown would be on the field. That only leaves one real issue.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The title of this thread has been the story of his short career.

When he produces, I'll be impressed.

Blog Entries

He had found a spot. title should be he is trying to find a new spot
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Looking for him to contrubute and have a solid year. I think he could be the next Paul Kruger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last year Mosley started as a rookie, it makes sense to me that they kept veteran leadership on the field in Smith while he established himself. Had AB started, they would have had 2 inexperienced players in the middle of the defense. Being a second round pick, more is expected of him, but he's buried in depth behind a 1st round phenom and a 2nd round proven veteran. I can see where this situation could be discouraging for him.

The frustrating part in this as fans is we haven't seen him on the field to make a judgement. Everything is based on his absence. I'd really like to see him spell Smith this year on obvious passing downs at the least and of course used on special teams. I'm not calling him a bust, yet. But if this year is a repeat of the previous 2, he's either a bust or a injudicious use of a high draft pick.

Blog Entries

With Daryl Smith, whom I admire, getting a little long in the tooth (33 in March), I'd welcome Arthur Brown as a 3rd option @ ILB. While I know OTA articles may usually beef up players new found skills, I am still hoping AB has really seen the light. After all, Ozzie traded up in the 2nd round to get him, so I am guardedly optimistic about his chances in 2015... Bc
    P.S. - LOL @ Rxdoxx's post #9.