Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

Great thread and I agree with everything so far.

I will say, Brandon Williams is going to challenge Goose for 98 when it's all said and done.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    I'm hard pressed to think of any numbers that are going to merit a serious debate
    Easy there buzz killington. Let's enjoy the thread and credit the work Spambot is putting in
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    I'm hard pressed to think of any numbers that are going to merit a serious debate
    95 might have some debate but the first real debate in my mind probably starts with 90.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Easy there buzz killington. Let's enjoy the thread and credit the work Spambot is putting in
    No disrespect to Spambot intended. The fact that I thought through 99 numbers in and of itself was a fun exercise.

Goose is still my only jersey, wear it every game day, and only on game days. It will probably have to be replaced pretty soon though.

97 days to go and number 97 is fan favorite Kelly "Buddy Lee" Gregg.

Kelly-Gregg.jpg

Considered too small, too slow, and too unathletic to be a star, Kelly Gregg defied the odds and conventional football wisdom by doing just that for the Baltimore Ravens from 2001 to 2010. His team mates nicknamed him Buddy Lee after the iconic jeans advertising campaign featuring a tiny doll in with a heroic attitude and a penchant for surviving destruction and the name fit. When Kelly Gregg was out there, opposing offenses couldn't bust 'em.

6c99f56fc3944956ac80d82210acc9d2.jpg

Picked up by Baltimore in 2000, Kelly fought his way onto the roster by sheer grit and will. He played dominate football in Germany for NFL Europe and showed enough in practice and as a back up in 2001 to convince the team he could shoulder the immense duty of replacing Goose in the middle of our D. He would spend the better part of a decade proving them right, in 10 years as a Raven, he notched over 500 tackles, and 19.5 sacks.

A gritty junkyard dog of a player, Kelly was fond of the phrase "Low man wins" as it applies to run defense. Despite his small size, he was such a force in the middle that he demanded and beat double teams by bigger men with regularity. Due in part to his regular appearances on "Most Underrated" lists year in and year out, and throwback "Lunch pail" work ethic, Kelly was embraced fiercely by his fans.

Kelly is perhaps my all time favorite Raven, as a player I modeled my game after his, and as a person he was kind, warm, and treated his fans right. A consummate pro, Kelly's impact on Baltimore football history is much bigger than the man's relatively small stature would lead you to think possible.

dc132beafa9b4af1ad78ed80e195e583.jpg

d1c4271ebd9445d4b92c6e94f07bbd79.jpg
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

Kelly-Gregg.jpg

d1c4271ebd9445d4b92c6e94f07bbd79.jpg
    Nice post and tribute. I've never seen that highlight video from college, good watch.

He was indeed one of my favorite players, but wasn't he the one who blew up Mike Flynn in Training Camp and took Jamal Lewis out of the 2001 season?
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    He was indeed one of my favorite players, but wasn't he the one who blew up Mike Flynn in Training Camp and took Jamal Lewis out of the 2001 season?
    He was, but that was a freak roll up that could have happened go anyone. We were practicing in full pads that day so I don't buy any theory that he caused JLew's injury. It was just one of those impossible to predict things that you can't blame on anyone.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

is there video of the Jlew injury?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    is there video of the Jlew injury?
    2001 Hard Knocks.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

He was, but that was a freak roll up that could have happened go anyone. We were practicing in full pads that day so I don't buy any theory that he caused JLew's injury. It was just one of those impossible to predict things that you can't blame on anyone.
    No fault assigned, but he was the defender. As I recall, my feeling at the time was that Flynn was a weak link in the O-Line. It was a "Perfect Storm", and if I remember correctly, Buddy Lee said he thought he was going to be packing his bags because it happened.
    Captain Offense