Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    It was close. Dwan Edwards actually has the highest AV of the three of them but I'm not just basing my picks on stats.

Tyson got the nod for being a home grown prospect, for his potential to continue to contribute, and his community involvement.

Also as I said from day one. This list is totally my personal picks and I would love it if as we get deeper more people start disagreeing and posting their choices for each spot.
    I'm into this, great thread. There's going to be a lot of disagreement as we countdown.

While Edwards does have a higher AV, the reason for that is how he played when he wasn't a Raven. That's a career value.

Redding was more of a force on the field IMO, the intangibles are something I didn't consider. Thanks for explaining that. Tyson's potential is there, Redding's chapter is closed.

Blog Entries

There is another 93 but probably doesn't equal even though he is a champion

#93 Greg Tucker LB 6'2 230 27 Northern Colorado

;) :D
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Kind of hoping to see more after the site being down.

ASB, come on dude, you're up!

92 is obvious.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Wow! What a great thread! Can't wait to see my boy at #90.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Sorry guys. Family reunion this weekend combined with downed site equaled no updates. I will include 92, 91, and 90 as soon as I can. I'm aiming for late morning or early afternoon 6/15.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Sorry guys. Family reunion this weekend ......
    And we are not your family?
    Captain Offense

Ok so we've got some ground to make up so let's get right into it with 92.

11481942-large.jpg

Haloti Ngata was drafted in the first round to Baltimore in 2006 and immediately earned a starting job on what would turn out to be one of the most dominate Ravens' defenses ever. His massive size, freakish athleticism, and inhuman strength combined to make him a force to be reckoned with in the trenches.

Trying to describe Haloti's impact is so tough because it's easy to get enamored with his numbers. 5 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pros, 300+ tackles, 25 1/2 sacks, 5 picks, 6 forced fumbles. Great numbers. Dominate numbers. But they only tell half the story.

Haloti was an intimidator. When he got a clean shot on someone, he didn't just bring them down he brought their whole world crashing down on them.

Haloti was a leader. He inspired his teammates with his day to day effort and professionalism, eschewing the spotlight in favor of a quiet home life and family.

Haloti was a physical presence in the center of the Ravens' second great run of dominate defenses. He could beat you with power, speed, or by just being smarter than you. He could rush the passer and stuff the run, but he also kept his eyes up and regularly batted down the ball at the LOS. He was Mr. Everything in Baltimore for 9 seasons.

In short, Haloti Ngata was one of the greatest Ravens to ever play the game.

My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

91 and 90 are coming in the next hour or so.

91 Courtney Upshaw

I know that his reputation on this board is mixed at best but when it comes to his teammates, no one who shares the field with him will say anything but good things about the next man in our countdown.

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreRavens.com
    When Ravens fullback Kyle Juszczyk was asked which teammate he least likes to block one-on-one, he had no hesitation.

“Courtney Upshaw,” he said. “The man is massive. By far, I think he’s the toughest guy to block on our defense.”

Why?

“Size is number one. But for such a big guy, he’s so athletic and he can use his hands.”

“I just love the way the kid plays,” Suggs said.
    Drafted in the second round of the 2012 draft Upshaw slid naturally into Jarret Johnson's role as edge setter and run stuffer. Like JJ, Upshaw's impact is measured in how he makes the men around him better rather than in the stat sheet.

He's appeared in every single game he's been eligible to play in, recording 130+ tackles and a few sacks as he is primarily used as on 1rst and 2nd down. His punishing strength and immovable base makes him near impossible to dislodge at the LOS, effectively walling off strong side runs before they even have a chance to get to the edge.

His forced fumble in SuperBowl XLVII was a perfect metaphor for his career to date. He initially missed the tackle on the play, but he hustled and kept moving to get back in the play late and poke the ball out for Arthur Jones to scoop up. The Ravens scored on the ensuing possession to go up 14-3 en route to their second SuperBowl championship.

“He’s as physical as any player I’ve ever coached,” [Ravens LB Coach] Monachino said. “There are a lot of guys that can smash into guys. Courtney doesn’t have to smash into guys to be physically dominant. He is strong, he is explosive in a small space, and he is so technical that it becomes easy for him.”

Even his opponents give him credit. In an interview Ben Roethlisberger gave to Pittsburgh media 48 hours after getting blown up by Courtney, Ben had this to say; "I'm hurting today as much as I was at any point I can think of in the last year," Roethlisberger said Tuesday on KDKA-FM, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

"I lost my breath instantly and remember hitting the ground thinking, 'Boy, that hurt a lot.' I kind of pride myself on not taking those big hits, but I sure as heck didn't see it coming."

His strength isn't the only thing going for him either. Coaches rave about his tremendous football IQ and position flexibility. He regularly lines up at 4 or 5 spots throughout the game, SAM, Will, DE, DT, and NT.

“There are times in a single practice that he’ll play seven different positions,” Monachino said. “That’s not only due to him having some dominant physical traits, but it’s also due to him having a very high football IQ.”

Hard to argue 92 and your sentiments.

A very weird phenomenon happened on this board in the last few years and it was the Ngata hate. Disappointing and showed a lack of football IQ.

He will be in the RoH for sure, possibly the HoF.

Number 90 defensive end Rob Burnett.

An original Raven, Rob came to Baltimore from Cleveland during the 1995 move. Originally drafted in the 5th round of the 1990 NFL draft, Burnett would leave the game after 14 years, 202 games, 508 tackles, and 73 sacks.

A quiet and humble man, Burnett served as a mentor and leader for young guns like Ray Lewis and Peter Boulware back during the less glorious early years of our franchise's history. And that leadership paid off as he helped shape a group of men into the NFL's most dominate defense ever during the 2000 Championship season.

A punishing pass rusher, Rob attacked the QB with pure power rather than speed or deception. His bull rush could be overwhelming at times, especially so during our Championship run when he put up 10.5 sacks and countless run stuffs for lost yardage.

Burnett also had an impact off the field for Baltimore. His close relationship with Art Modell was part of what inspired the long standing Ravens tradition of treating teammates and coaches as extended family rather than business assets. This tradition is stronger than ever today, even with Rob retired and Art passed on, and its part of what makes Baltimore so successful. It's one thing to play for yourself, or your next contract, or for personal glory. It's quite another to take the field every week with men you think of as brothers.

A true Raven, Rob stood out in a crowded field of possible players to put here. The worst number 90 to ever suit up for Baltimore was still a multi year Pro Bowl special teamer. He gets the nod because he helped shape the very core of how the Ravens operate. His relationship with ownership and his teammates transcended professional respect. He made the Ravens a family.