Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

Sorry the first edition is so late. I ended up dealing with a family emergency which prevented me from being home to post until now. Future updates will aim for earlier to allow more time to discuss.

With 99 days between now and our opener in Denver I'm taking the opportunity to count down the best Baltimore Football legends and current stars to wear each number. For the sake of a larger possible pool I am also including old Baltimore Colts.

This list is entirely subjective and open to rebuttal. If you think another player deserves consideration, pitch him to the rest of us. I'm only 30 so my knowledge of the old guard is second hand and likely full of holes as well.

To kick us off with 99 days I present number 99 Michael McCrary.

michael_mccrary_2001_01_28.jpg

A key member of the 2000 Ravens Championship defense, Mike came to Baltimore after a Paul Kruger-esque start to a career in Seattle. He was a late round pick who languished behind more productive starters and struggled with his health before putting together a dazzling contract year. He burned hot and fast for Baltimore, putting up big sack numbers and becoming a fan favorite with his signature high motor style of play.

Mike embodied the concept of superior effort on game days. He was first off the snap and played to the whistle with hyper intensity, Brian Billick said it best. " No player in Ravens history surpassed the effort Mike gave on every single play. He was as tough as any Raven. Mike served as an example to his teammates in terms of preparation, including in-season and off-season conditioning and strengthening. Mike McCrary was a player that, as a coach, you knew you didn’t have to concern yourself with. By that I mean Mike was going to give you his best, and was going to make a play that impacted the game, every time he set foot on the field."

Like the apocryphal candle that burns brightest, Mike burnt out quickly. His body failed him in the 2001 season, where he played in only 10 games. In 2002 he barely registers in the stat sheet.

So why is he my choice to start this countdown?

Because despite playing here for only a few years, Mike contributed to the culture of winning and attitude of playing like a Raven in a way few have. A warrior who sacrificed his body at the altar of competition week in and week out. A leader who was loved and respected from the locker room to Ownership.

So that's my personal best #99.

GettyImages-658118.0.jpg

Who's yours? What's your personal favorite McCrary memory? Share your stories and opinions.
    Last edited by ActualSpamBot; 06-06-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron