Page 1 of 39 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

Sorry the first edition is so late. I ended up dealing with a family emergency which prevented me from being home to post until now. Future updates will aim for earlier to allow more time to discuss.

With 99 days between now and our opener in Denver I'm taking the opportunity to count down the best Baltimore Football legends and current stars to wear each number. For the sake of a larger possible pool I am also including old Baltimore Colts.

This list is entirely subjective and open to rebuttal. If you think another player deserves consideration, pitch him to the rest of us. I'm only 30 so my knowledge of the old guard is second hand and likely full of holes as well.

To kick us off with 99 days I present number 99 Michael McCrary.

michael_mccrary_2001_01_28.jpg

A key member of the 2000 Ravens Championship defense, Mike came to Baltimore after a Paul Kruger-esque start to a career in Seattle. He was a late round pick who languished behind more productive starters and struggled with his health before putting together a dazzling contract year. He burned hot and fast for Baltimore, putting up big sack numbers and becoming a fan favorite with his signature high motor style of play.

Mike embodied the concept of superior effort on game days. He was first off the snap and played to the whistle with hyper intensity, Brian Billick said it best. " No player in Ravens history surpassed the effort Mike gave on every single play. He was as tough as any Raven. Mike served as an example to his teammates in terms of preparation, including in-season and off-season conditioning and strengthening. Mike McCrary was a player that, as a coach, you knew you didn’t have to concern yourself with. By that I mean Mike was going to give you his best, and was going to make a play that impacted the game, every time he set foot on the field."

Like the apocryphal candle that burns brightest, Mike burnt out quickly. His body failed him in the 2001 season, where he played in only 10 games. In 2002 he barely registers in the stat sheet.

So why is he my choice to start this countdown?

Because despite playing here for only a few years, Mike contributed to the culture of winning and attitude of playing like a Raven in a way few have. A warrior who sacrificed his body at the altar of competition week in and week out. A leader who was loved and respected from the locker room to Ownership.

So that's my personal best #99.

GettyImages-658118.0.jpg

Who's yours? What's your personal favorite McCrary memory? Share your stories and opinions.
    Last edited by ActualSpamBot; 06-06-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Re: Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

McCrary is hands down the best #99 who ever played football in Baltimore, not much to discuss. Krueger? Nah.

Yea, going through my notes for the coming days and I don't think we'll hit controversy until we get into the 80s.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Can't argue with that one.

When I lived in Bmore, I'd often see him and his scooter riding around the streets of Fed Hill. Such an odd sight he was too -- this huge dude putting around on a scooter built for someone half his size.

Blog Entries

DeCosta told Mike they were giving Kruger his #99 because Kruger reminded
    them of Mike. Yea, sure. ILMAO.

The number should have been retired when Mike retired.

Speaking of the 80s numbers, I was watching TV at Looneys
    and they showed an old Indy vs NE game I promptly left when someone was
    still wearing #88 - John Mackey's # of the old Colts.

He was shipped out by Joe Thomas with Unitas and Matte
    and #88 wasn't retired, another trajedy of the move. Matte's
    #, Curtis' # and Bubba's numbers were never retired either
    and are still in use which is another reason why I can't watch
    Indy games.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-07-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Cool Re: Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

98 days to go and number 98 is another obvious choice.

10108320.jpg

Ravens DT, Anthony "Goose" Siragusa is larger than life in every possible meaning of the phrase. A massive man whose listed playing weight of 340 pounds might have been short selling him, Tony was the rock in our defense from 1997 to 2001. His role was never to accumulate gaudy stats or personal glory, rather he played the role of tone setter and block eater, freeing up our linebackers and ends to wreak havoc untouched.

Loved by fans and teammates alike for his infectious good humor and Jersey boy persona, Tony quickly became one of the faces of our young franchise after signing with us as a Free Agent. While casual fans loved him for his size and personality, die hards loved him because of his impeccable technique and gritty style. A former wrestling champion, Goose used leverage and size to dominate in the middle en route to our first Championship.

BS-sp-super-bowl-parade.jpg

Along with many of you, the memory of Goose that most stands out for me is probably his pancaking of Rich Gannon in the 2000 AFC Championship.

When asked later about whether or not the hit was dirty, Goose replied in typical Goose fashion. "My wife is 5'2 and weighs about 120 lbs and I throw my weight down on her every night and she never complains."

2 down,97 to go. Tune in tomorrow for the next great Baltimore legend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Loving this thread!!!!

Very fond memories of The Goose, in particular his pancake of Gannon in the AFCCG.

Awesome thread! Great choices for 99 and 98. 97 is a easy one also :)

Edit shoot. The lower 90s are gonna have to be looked,up. Like theres a couplenumbers Icant even think of lol.

No arguments here. What a great thread, I'm getting chills reading about Michael and the Goose. Cant wait for the season.

Blog Entries

little late to the thread but my McCrary jersey is still my fav. Don't wear jerseys often but I'm proud of that 99. Dude was a force to be reckoned with.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I'm hard pressed to think of any numbers that are going to merit a serious debate

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    I'm hard pressed to think of any numbers that are going to merit a serious debate
    The 80's will