Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Baltimore Football's Greatest- Counting down the best to wear the numbers.

Guess I would choose Bannan if I had to. Although itsa blah number. Lol

94 was a tough choice. My options were the mediocre, the bad, and the ugly. It's not surprising that the Ravens would have a couple of numbers that haven't been worn by a star, fan favorite, or big time contributor; but it was surprising that the old Colts' best option was a 1 year player back up who barely contributed.

So with options limited, 94 is former Ravens DT Justin Bannan.

art.bannan.gi.jpg

A four year Raven, Justin played in Baltimore from 2006 to 2009. 2008, his best year in Baltimore saw him notch 30 tackles, a sack, and even an interception while playing as a backup to 3 different spots on the D-line.

While he never ascended to stardom in Baltimore (or anywhere else) Justin was a consummate team player. He played anywhere he was asked, giving equal effort on special teams as he did on defense. He even managed to get an action figure made in his image after his aforementioned 2008 season.

No one can build a team comprised solely of superstars, and Ozzie is no exception. Sometimes the best thing a guy can do his show up and do his job and that's what Justin Bannan did. He wasn't flashy, he wasn't exciting, but he was an important cog in several very good Ravens defenses, and for me at least, that's good enough to make this list.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Nice job SpamBot. Never realized it before, but the old Colts didn't like numbers in the 90's. They'll be well represented in the 80's though.

93 days to go and number 93 is the first of our "Stars of Tomorrow" features.

Number 93 DeAngelo Tyson was a picked up in the 7th round of the 2012 draft. He lacked the explosive athleticism to go higher, but he's shown he does posses the dogged determination and sound technique to earn playing time (34 regular season appearances in 3 seasons) on a very crowded and talented defensive line.

Tyson's biggest moment came on the biggest stage. After the lights went out in New Orleans and Ngata pulled up lame, DeAngelo was thrust off the bench and into the meatgrinder that was San Fran's rushing attack. Only the most purple-shaded homer would call his Super Bowl performance anything more than mediocre, but when a 7th round rookie even does that well en route to a Championship, you take it and thank the football gods.

Tyson's still growing, and as long as he keeps pushing and clawing his way off the bench game after game, I'm not gonna bet against him. His grit, toughness, and devotion to self improvement are reason enough to root for him, but when you learn he partners with local charities to provide books for underprivileged children, it becomes obvious what kind of man John and Ozzie saw when they turned in that card in the 7th round.

I'll leave you with DeAngelo's own words:

"To see the smiles on the kids’ faces when they got the books was priceless. They could not wait to open them. Children love to read books – it helps their imagination. Every kid needs to be able to use their imagination.”

It doesn't take an abundance of imagination to see the DeAngelo is a superstar person, and with a little luck and more of his hard work, he just may develop into a superstar player to boot.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Nice job SpamBot. Never realized it before, but the old Colts didn't like numbers in the 90's. They'll be well represented in the 80's though.
    Also defensive linemen were not restricted to numbers in the 60's, 70's, and 90's. So you get Marchetti with a receiver number, for example.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Great thread, keep up the good work

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Great thread, keep up the good work
    This is so much fun! Thanks ActualSpamBot for this clever thread... Bc

Anxiously waiting till the 80's. There's a few there that are juicy.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    93 days to go and number 93 is the first of our "Stars of Tomorrow" features.

Number 93 DeAngelo Tyson....
    I would argue that #93 Cory Redding did more for the Ravens in his two years here than DeAngelo Tyson has done in his three years . . .

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I would maybe argue that #93 Cory Redding did more for the Ravens in his two years here than DeAngelo Tyson has done in his three years . . .
    I have to agree with you for now. Tyson needs to do a little more first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I have to agree with you for now. Tyson needs to do a little more first.
    Well, Tyson has done some tasty things :

http://sharing.kshb.com/sharewrtv/ph....0_640_480.jpg

... Bc

It was close. Dwan Edwards actually has the highest AV of the three of them but I'm not just basing my picks on stats.

Tyson got the nod for being a home grown prospect, for his potential to continue to contribute, and his community involvement.

Also as I said from day one. This list is totally my personal picks and I would love it if as we get deeper more people start disagreeing and posting their choices for each spot.