Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James Jones???

James Jones???

James Jones was released a few weeks ago, would you take a chance on him?

My outlook:

I like the receivers we have now but majority of them are still young and havent proven enough in the NFL. Perriman has HUGE upside but hes still a rookie and a bit raw, Brown had a down year last year, Aiken showed promise but still only 1 year in the NFL, and Campanaro also showed promise but he also showed he cant stay healthy. Waller and Butler still need seasoning and I dont see them making a huge impact this year. That leaves us with a 36, going to be 37, year old Steve Smith, who Harbaugh already went out and said he wants to limit his snaps. I think bringing in James Jones for a veteran minimum gives that competition which is always good, a reliable veteran target who has been to a Superbowl before with the Packers, and finally most importantly a backup plan in case 1-2 of those young receivers dont pan out.

Any thoughts/ opinions?

Re: James Jones???

No.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by swinner View Post
    James Jones was released a few weeks ago, would you take a chance on him?

My outlook:

I like the receivers we have now but majority of them are still young and havent proven enough in the NFL. Perriman has HUGE upside but hes still a rookie and a bit raw, Brown had a down year last year, Aiken showed promise but still only 1 year in the NFL, and Campanaro also showed promise but he also showed he cant stay healthy. Waller and Butler still need seasoning and I dont see them making a huge impact this year. That leaves us with a 36, going to be 37, year old Steve Smith, who Harbaugh already went out and said he wants to limit his snaps. I think bringing in James Jones for a veteran minimum gives that competition which is always good, a reliable veteran target who has been to a Superbowl before with the Packers, and finally most importantly a backup plan in case 1-2 of those young receivers dont pan out.

Any thoughts/ opinions?
    Last year was actually Aiken's 4th year in the NFL, but the first year he caught any passes.

I don't think Jones would sign for the vet minimum. But I think we have enough young guys that at least one will step up. Let's keep the group young (except for Sr.) and develop some of these guys and see what happens, we have some talented dudes out there.

You don't spend two draft picks on WRs and then turn around and sign a 31 year old journeyman WR, especially when you thought enough of another young WR (Campanaro) that you traded back into the previous draft to select him. Add to that 3 young TEs, Juice, a kick returner like Carter, and a possible return of Pitta, and there isn't enough space in camp for a player like Jones. There is no such thing as the minor leagues in the NFL, so if they aren't keeping the young guys, they are going to lose them to another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No.
    I'll see your no and raise you a hell.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I'll see your no and raise you a hell.
    Absolutely correct. We are already going to fret over the WRs we will have to let go.

No thanks. With the logjam we already figure to have at WR we don't need a past his prime wideout that didn't even average 10 yards a catch last year.

Blog Entries

He wrote a few pretty fair books, but I dunno about his receiving sk--

--oh. :bag:;)
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Right now the answer is "No". As they wade through TC and the Pre-Season and see how the young parts are working, it could be prudent to grab a veteran set of hands. That would be way down the road and a cheap alternative, and only if the ones they have do not meet expectations.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This
    It is known.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    He wrote a few pretty fair books, but I dunno about his receiving sk--

--oh. :bag:;)
    And on top of that hes already kind of busy in the playoffs right about now. Damn this dude is versatile! ;)

(What RIW said)
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect