Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Extra point proposals

According to PFT, there are now three specific proposals for changes to the extra point rule. They'll be voted on at the owners meetings next week. They are:

The proposal forwarded by the Patriots offers the chance to snap from the 15-yard line for a one-point kick or snapping from the 2-yard line for teams trying a two-point conversion.

The Eagles proposal is similar, with two-point conversion attempts coming from the 1-yard line, and offering the defense the chance to score on turnovers on two-point tries. That puts it in line with the college rules Chip Kelly knows so well.

The competition committee (sans suspended co-chair Rich McKay) proposal mirrors the Eagles plan, except with two-point conversion attempts coming from the 2-yard line.
    Which do you prefer? Would you rather they leave the extra point alone?

Re: Extra point proposals

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockDoctor View Post
    According to PFT, there are now three specific proposals for changes to the extra point rule. They'll be voted on at the owners meetings next week. They are:

If there going to change it, just move it to the one. The idea of choosing where to place the ball on the field and then kicking or going for is antithetical to the game of football. The premise of the game is the ball is located on a certain point on the field, and the offense then chooses what kind of play to run.

I like the idea of making the play 'turnover-able' if the offense is going for 2. It adds more risk to the play, and should set up for some more explosive plays. That should be a WIN for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Ate_My_Lunch View Post
    I like the idea of making the play 'turnover-able' if the offense is going for 2. It adds more risk to the play, and should set up for some more explosive plays. That should be a WIN for the fans.
    Definitely! I don't see any down side to this.

You never know, if they make this change, the game might become popular

I like the proposal put forth by the Colts, which for some reason just barely missed being in the top three: keep rule same as present, except the Cheatriots have to kick a fully deflated ball for the PAT.

Blog Entries

I agree, and think that after TDs we should all get free beer. Isn't this the "extra pint proposals" thread? ... Bc

Stop changing things for "the sake of change"

They should leave it alone, but if they do change just go the route similar to rugby. Make it a free kick from the 20-yard line at the point where the touchdown was scored. That would be a tough angle if you scored on a fade route.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockDoctor View Post

LEAVE THE FUCKING EXTRA POINT ALONE!!!

I have no idea why they feel the need to mess with this. The whole reason an extra point is easy is because scoring a TD is supposed to be rewarded more than kicking two field goals. A score of 7-6 means the team who reached the end-zone is winning over the team that can't make it past the 20 and settles for two FGs. There's no reason to make the extra point harder. It's supposed to be an EASY 1 point since the team reached the end-zone.

Furthermore, who wants to see their team drive 80 yards with under two minutes to go to tie the game pending the extra point only to see their kicker miss the kick? This is the stupidest idea the NFL has ever had. Why are they fucking with a great game? It's like they forgot the whole reason the extra point is set so close.

However, I do like the idea that the 2 point conversion is a live ball and the defense can score.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I have no idea why they feel the need to mess with this. The whole reason an extra point is easy is because scoring a TD is supposed to be rewarded more than kicking two field goals. A score of 7-6 means the team who reached the end-zone is winning over the team that can't make it past the 20 and settles for two FGs. There's no reason to make the extra point harder. It's supposed to be an EASY 1 point since the team reached the end-zone.

Furthermore, who wants to see their team drive 80 yards with under two minutes to go to tie the game pending the extra point only to see their kicker miss the kick? This is the stupidest idea the NFL has ever had. Why are they fucking with a great game? It's like they forgot the whole reason the extra point is set so close.
    I disagree with the notion that the extra point was set so close in order to be super easy. The extra point as we know it was set in 1912, and the kickers of those days were nowhere near as skilled as they are today. I don't have historical conversion rates handy, but everything I've read on the subject suggests that the extra point was often in doubt back then.

That's not the case at all today. Extra points are missed so infrequently (about 1 in every 200 attempts) that there's practically no point in having them at all. If the extra point were to be snapped from the 15, teams would still convert it far more often than not -- the field goal conversion rate from 32 yards is something like 94%. However, there would be at least some doubt cast on scoring that point, and coaches would face the decision of whether it's better to go for two. Seems to me that the proposed changes would add both more excitement and more strategy without changing the nature of the game too much.

Regarding the "Don't mess with the game!" argument, football has been constantly evolving since its inception. It's a natural part of the game, and one of the reasons why it's so popular.

Blog Entries

I'm also on the 'don't change it' side. Most popular sport in the country by a huge margin and they want to tinker with it constantly...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!