A new low for the NFL

Apparently, some of these salutes to veterans we see during games are actually paid for by the DOD, and not done out of the kindness of the league's heart.

There are 14 teams that have accepted taxpayer money for tributes to soldiers. Sadly, the Ravens are one of them, and are second worst behind the Falcons. I really think the Biscuit owes us an explanation for this. Apparently these aren't like the recruiting ads we see on television. I wonder if the hillbilly national anthem is part of this?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/1...onor-military/

Re: A new low for the NFL

Sorry, I missed the other thread on this. Feel free to delete.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I really think the Biscuit owes us an explanation for this.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/05/1...onor-military/
    What is there to explain? The military offered money for NFL teams to do soldier tributes. Done.

Why are you vilifying the NFL owners, when its the military that came up with the idea and offered the money? NFL teams aren't charity mouthpieces for military propaganda. If the military is OK with this program, what's the problem? If the military sees benefit in it, what's the problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
    What is there to explain? The military offered money for NFL teams to do soldier tributes. Done.

Why are you vilifying the NFL owners, when its the military that came up with the idea and offered the money? NFL teams aren't charity mouthpieces for military propaganda. If the military is OK with this program, what's the problem? If the military sees benefit in it, what's the problem?
    I met my oldest friend in 1959 (high school). Over the years I did him, and his family, lots of favors. A few years ago I needed electrical work done in my home. He is a licensed electrician, and he completed the necessary work.
    When I asked what I owed him, he said, "Nothing Bc, you've done more for me than I ever repay."
    Why can't NFL teams give them free time? After all, they keep us free, don't they? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    When I asked what I owed him, he said, "Nothing Bc, you've done more for me than I ever repay."
    And you didn't immediately respond. That's not true. Take my sister-in-law, pleeeeeez? Yer slipping, boyo...:D
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I met my oldest friend in 1959 (high school). Over the years I did him, and his family, lots of favors. A few years ago I needed electrical work done in my home. He is a licensed electrician, and he completed the necessary work.
    Why can't NFL teams give them free time? After all, they keep us free, don't they? ... Bc
    Damn, BC.

I thought I was the oldest here. I didn't go to high school til 64. I went to games in the 50s
    as a kid. Did you go to any back then.

My oldest pals are from 64. One is a retired chaplain from the Army. When I worked
    at APG I picked up the post news paper and saw his pic on the front page with
    head lines saying he was APGs new chaplain. Last time I saw him was 20 yrs before
    when I drove him and his wife to the airport where he was heading to FT Waynewright,
    Alaska.

So I called the chaplain's office and said this is Trap and we met for lunch. He showed up
    wearing a chest full of medals. I said how did a chaplain get all those medals. Parts of
    a grenade hit him in Vietnam was he was praying over wounded soldiers.

Then he did tours in Panama, Desert Storm and Afghanastan and Iraq. What a career.
    He's retired and built a home on Cape Cod where his in laws had a plot of land they
    left his wife who can trace her family to the Mayflower.

It's disingenuous since no one knew this was elaborately staged paid advertisements. It's deceptive propaganda and contrived patriotism. It does bother me that the teams being paid get good PR paid for by the taxpayer.

8. Re: A new low for the NFL

I'm a Soldier and the only reason it bugs me is that I didn't know it.

DoD/NGB have marketing budgets and I imagine that these are paid for from that money. No troops were shorted their beans n bullets.

So the teams get good PR and some GIs get memorable homecomings. Money changing hands is just how we do it in America.

Hey, the Red Cross charges wounded service members for blood transfusions.