Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

What do you do if Randy Gregory is still around after pick #20 ?

I guess this is a multi question thread. Even though I desperately want an elite or near elite Wide Out for Joe, I'm starting not to like a lot of the guys who will be around come our selection spot in the first.
    So a few questions:
    1. If Gregory drops , does he get past Steelers. Not sure I want this guy chasing Joe for the next decade. Do you try to trade up and eliminate that from happening plus get the heir apparent to Suggs and Doom? I guess I'm implying a 4 spot trade-up here.
    2. Is he too boom/bust for OZ's taste even if he does fall.
    3. I believe he won't impact immediately, but will be ready by the time we recover from the dead money's and cap hell. At the height of our powers perhaps.
    4. In general , where do you see him landing.
    5. If craziness ensues, and is there at 26, do you think a CB could still be on the board that trumps his value.

Thanks.
    Last edited by alienstar; 04-15-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Re: What do you do if Randy Gregory is still around after pick #20 ?

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

He not only represents BPA, but also at one of the 4-5 positions that I think the Ravens will target early in the draft.

3. Re: What do you do if Randy Gregory is still around after pick #20 ?

Well if he drops to #20 you have two division rivals that you will need to jump in order to take him because I'm almost 100% sure the Bengals would take him. And if by chance they did not the Steelers sure would, not to mention what the Cards would be trying to do if he got that close. They need edge rush help too. We'd be in a battle with 3 teams IMO.

They're going to have to really love him to move up to 20. It'll take their 3(26) pick in addition to their 1(26) and possibly a little more. Not saying it's impossible but unlikely imo.

Blog Entries

I dont think they move up for him, but if he does get to them, theyll draft him in a heartbeat.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont think they move up for him, but if he does get to them, theyll draft him in a heartbeat.
    I also do not believe Ozzie will trade up. If Gregory falls into his lap, and he's the highest rated player on the Ravens board, then he will be playing in Baltimore. If not, then there still will be a solid choice @ #26. Repeating, I just don't think Ozzie would spend extra draft choices if it isn't necessary... Bc

same thing i do every time the ravens about to pick, light up a j, open a louie xiii and watch ozzie do his magic

Blog Entries

if he's still around after 20, they wait to see if he's around at 26.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

No way I give up a 3rd to move up and grab him.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    Well if he drops to #20 you have two division rivals that you will need to jump in order to take him because I'm almost 100% sure the Bengals would take him. And if by chance they did not the Steelers sure would, not to mention what the Cards would be trying to do if he got that close. They need edge rush help too. We'd be in a battle with 3 teams IMO.
    I think trading up could prove to be difficult. You have a bunch of division rivals sitting in spots you'd consider moving into with Cleveland 19, Cincy 21, and Pittsburgh 22. Hard to picture trading with a rival.

Other teams sprinkled into this range already own a bunch of picks and may not be in the market to acquire more. To jump into the 20 spot, for instance, you're dealing with the Eagles at 20, who hold 8 picks, which is a lot even for a team remaking its roster. Or KC at 18 who already own 10 picks. The Chargers only have six picks, only missing their 7th rounder. But moving all the way to 17 is a pretty big move that would mean sending the Ravens' first two picks to the Chargers to get past 8 teams ahead of them.

I'm not sure what player really is so special that you'd sacrifice that second round pick to move up and get him. The Chargers need a running back, offensive or defensive lineman. It's hard to imagine they won't have good options at 17.

If I had to root for a scenario where a player the Ravens see as a top-ten talent falling that far, I'd watch at Randy Gregory and Shane Ray. They have both been seen as top-ten talents by some. We know Gregory's story. And a bunch of mockers have Ray going as far as 16 to Houston.

So I can picture both still on the board when New Orleans gets their pick at 13, with one of them being the pick here, leaving one of them still on the board.

As I said, a ton of mockers have Ray going 16 to Houston. But if you're rooting for that not to happen, I'll point out they do get Clowney back from injury and do have plenty of other needs that could be addressed here. I've also seen Houston linked to Gurley, and even Gordon or a pass catcher like DGB.

To me, that would be the scenario to watch--those two players Gregory and Ray, and those two teams, New Orleans and Houston, to see where the chips fall. If an elite pass rusher gets past Houston, he could drop to 20. But he isn't getting past Pittsburgh, Arizona, Carolina, Detroit who are all ahead of the Ravens. The cost to go from 26 to 20 should be a third rounder, but even that may not be enough with other suitors in between.

That said, I would also not be shocked if the Eagles sent their 20th pick overall, their second rounder and next year's first to Jacksonville to move up to the three hole and grab Mariota if he gets past Tennessee. Jacksonville could just keep stockpiling picks-- a la the Browns in recent years -- and trade back again with someone like the Ravens.

That is a lot of "ifs" to make it work. I think it's more likely they have four or five guys still on the board, none top-ten type players, and all rated the same, so they then trade back--the Kindle/Upshaw scenario.

If I'm handicapping, staying put is the most likely, followed by moving back. I can see a repeat of the last time they held the 26th pick. A team wants to move up to get a quarterback, in this case Brett Hundley. There are six teams with QB needs this year and really only 2 QBs who are seen as ready to help. One of the other four teams is going to panic and overvalue Hundley, the next best option. Tennessee, for instance, if they don't take Mariota second overall, and let Mariota slip past, could move up from the top of round two. Going from 26 to 33 and still getting one of four or five players they like would be nice. And they'd then be able to use all those extra picks to get four players in rounds 2 and 3.
    Last edited by Shas; 04-15-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

yea I'd be inclined to stay put. Now if hes still hanging around one spot ahead of us or even at 24 (and if we REALLY want him) it might get interesting.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Lots of good points throughout. I still would like to think OZ & Co. are not so stringent in their ways as to curtail creativity.