Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thorough breakdown of Jaelen Strong's limitations

In-depth article detailing how and why Strong should NOT be a 1st round pick.

HERE

Nelson Agholor is my favorite player in the draft, so I've favored him over Strong the whole way (even though I think Strong is talented), but the issues with Strong's game detailed in this article has made my preference even more pronounced.

Blog Entries

Re: Thorough breakdown of Jaelen Strong's limitations

Greg Cosell likes Strong. That's good enough for me. Cosell isn't interested in where he'll be drafted. That's not what he talks about. Last month he told Ross Tucker that Strong really had tremendous body control but is very raw in route running. That's something he feels is a typical issue with rookie receivers and can be fixed. I have no idea who the guy who wrote this bleacher report article is but I'll take Greg Cosell over him any day.

To me you have Cooper and White and then big drop off. Then Parker and another drop off and then Strong, Devin Smith and Perriman lumped together as late 1st or early 2nd round picks. Parker and those next 3 all need work. Unfortunately though every mock draft I do or see is full of players who need work by the time #26 comes up. Melvin Gordon is probably the best value of the guys who will be available at that spot but it's definitely tougher to justify a 1st round RB than it used to be. I do think that Gordon, Agholor would be a very nice 1, 2 punch as the first 2 picks in the draft.

Blog Entries

That's one thing I do like about Agholor. He doesn't have the elite size or holy shnikes speed, but the dude catches the ball.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Agholor reminds me a lot of Chad Johnson when I watch him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's one thing I do like about Agholor. He doesn't have the elite size or holy shnikes speed, but the dude catches the ball.
    Any comparisons to someone in today's game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Agholor reminds me a lot of Chad Johnson when I watch him.
    Pretty much a mirror image.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

7. Re: Thorough breakdown of Jaelen Strong's limitations

I really don't see a big drop off from Cooper, White and Parker. Parker IMO is right there with them because of two things, agility for a guy his size and field awareness. His agility is much better than White's and I'd say he arguably has the best field awareness of the three. When you watch his tape, watch how he takes the short crossing routes and makes guys miss without even looking at them. That's because he feels them, showing impeccable awareness. The knock on Parker is he'll drop a few and his frame is thin. Has some injury concerns (2013 shoulder; 2014 foot surgery). So durability might be why Parker drops and probably why we had him in for a visit. But I doubt he falls to 26. If he did that would be great for us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Any comparisons to someone in today's game?

Chad Johnson is a good comparison as Raveninwoodlawn pointed out.

I see some similarities with Agholor and Doug Baldwin or maybe Golden Tate. I think he could be that type of player.

He's a good route runner with nice speed, nice fluid movements, not a lot of wasted energy, and he has enough speed to get deep. He's also got some nice moves after the catch. There is a lot to like about him.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Chad Johnson is a good comparison as Raveninwoodlawn pointed out.

I see some similarities with Agholor and Doug Baldwin or maybe Golden Tate. I think he could be that type of player.

He's a good route runner with nice speed, nice fluid movements, not a lot of wasted energy, and he has enough speed to get deep. He's also got some nice moves after the catch. There is a lot to like about him.
    A little confused but in your last paragraph there are you speaking about Strong or Agholor?
    If you're talking about Agholor I've seen multiple times he's a second rounder at best? Thoughts?

After Cooper, White and Parker I see a drop off and then for me it's Strong and Agholor basically even, and superior to all the others (Perriman, D. Smith, DGB, etc.)

I enjoyed reading the criticism of Strong, it was good insight. My case for him is that most of his deficiencies are coachable/"improveable" at the next level. He can improve his route running, scheme awareness, and his use of hands to clear space off the ball. All those things could and should improve with a bit of time in the league. I think with those improvements, we start to see a bit more quickness out of breaks and that 4.44 speed may show up a bit more, although I'll admit his tape doesn't allow me to conclude that he'd ever be a consistent 4.44 speed demon on the field--not his game. He's got nice hands, pretty good balance, exceptional ability to keep defenders away from the ball, is a back shoulder monster, and has size that you obviously cannot coach.

Agholor just seems so polished to me. He's a freaking baller. I'm of the opinion that his speed is sufficient. I guess no one area of his game jumps out at you, and that's probably the reason he isn't garnering tremendous first round discussion, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being one of the most productive guys from this draft.

I guess my thought at the moment is Agholor is higher floor, while Strong is probably higher ceiling. But to me those guys are clearly tied as the T-4 best receivers. The other guys have glaring deficiencies that I don't see in Strong and Agholor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    A little confused but in your last paragraph there are you speaking about Strong or Agholor?
    If you're talking about Agholor I've seen multiple times he's a second rounder at best? Thoughts?

I was talking about Agholor.

I think he could go anywhere between pick 20 and pick 50.

It really depends on who is taken ahead of him. I think a lot of DE's, DT's, LB's, OL'men, and CB's are going to be taken before the Ravens pick.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Ravens were looking at Devante Parker, DGB, Perriman, Strong, Gurley, Gordon, and Maxx Williams all sitting there at pick 26.

Blog Entries

A top WR being available at 26 is not going to be flawless. His flaws are minor, imo and highly coachable. I think his floor is high enough as is that hes worthy of 26.

Im not against trading out and going after agholor either. I think hes a good WR as well.

I think its a bit nitpicky. Strong shows up on tape, and he showed more athletic ability than youd expect, which means once those correctable things are corrected, that athleticism is going to shine. I think the skys the limit for him.
    -JAB