Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Defensive Scheme

This past week, I've been watching film with game rewind. I'm evaluating Dean Pees, and comparing him with Pagano to see what it would take for us to get back to being an elite D, weather be it a change in coordinator or a change in personnel.

There's one thing i can't quite figure out. Are we a two gap defense or a one gap defense? A typical one gap would get a lot more penetration than we do but 4-3 under is pretty much our base alignment and 4-3 defenses are typically one gap. It's tough to tell.

Re: Defensive Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sedjro View Post
    This past week, I've been watching film with game rewind. I'm evaluating Dean Pees, and comparing him with Pagano to see what it would take for us to get back to being an elite D, weather be it a change in coordinator or a change in personnel.

There's one thing i can't quite figure out. Are we a two gap defense or a one gap defense? A typical one gap would get a lot more penetration than we do but 4-3 under is pretty much our base alignment and 4-3 defenses are typically one gap. It's tough to tell.
    I'm not the biggest Pees fan, but before anointing Pagano's D as elite, I'd go watch the AFCCG again, not to mention their game against Pitt. He did well in the year he was our D coordinator, but he had some stinker games too (San Diego was a notable one).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sedjro View Post

In 2014, the Ravens set up with a 4-man front (often 4 down) for most pass rush downs, but they're a 3-4 scheme when the opposing team doesn't have 3+ WR on the field.

They got a ton of penetration from McPhee and later Jernigan on passing downs, because they have powerful and fast first steps.

Penetration versus the run was and is primarily a function of Brandon Williams, who probably faced a few more singles than Ngata last season. Most of that penetration comes on bulls where he doesn't necessarily make the tackle, but blows up the play.

Regardless of scheme, I think the Ravens biggest single need isn't corner or WR, it's DL where the roster currently has several transitional players (Canty, Bilukidi, Guy). None of those guys is likely to be on the team in 2016 and the team badly needs another interior-line star, preferably one who can have an impact versus both the pass and run.

4. Re: Defensive Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    In 2014, the Ravens set up with a 4-man front (often 4 down) for most pass rush downs, but they're a 3-4 scheme when the opposing team doesn't have 3+ WR on the field.

They got a ton of penetration from McPhee and later Jernigan on passing downs, because they have powerful and fast first steps.

Penetration versus the run was and is primarily a function of Brandon Williams, who probably faced a few more singles than Ngata last season. Most of that penetration comes on bulls where he doesn't necessarily make the tackle, but blows up the play.

Regardless of scheme, I think the Ravens biggest single need isn't corner or WR, it's DL where the roster currently has several transitional players (Canty, Bilukidi, Guy). None of those guys is likely to be on the team in 2016 and the team badly needs another interior-line star, preferably one who can have an impact versus both the pass and run.
    I agree. The loss of Ngata, IMO stings the Ravens brass more than the fans think. The fans just look and say well we got Jernigan. And while we do have Jernigan, I still think losing a guy like Ngata is not something you just look at Jernigan and sleep well at night because you think your defense is going to be A-OK. No you just lost a huge piece of what makes this car run the way it does. I wouldn't be surprised with a trade out of the #26 pick or just taking Carl Davis at 26. Reports say his interviews were horrible, but I wonder if he interviewed with every team horribly.

Blog Entries

The reality is that even though the Steelers, Browns, and Bengals run the ball quite a bit, they're doing so out of 3-WR formations. So, it makes sense that Baltimore runs a lot of defensive sub-packages.

A lot of other AFC teams (Pats, Chargers, Broncos, Colts, etc) run multiple-WR sets as well.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    DeAngelo Tyson is in his final rookie contract year also
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

With the 26th pick of the 2015 NFL draft.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Where is Arik Armstead expected to fall?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Where is Arik Armstead expected to fall?
    Around us

I get the allure with Armstead because of his size and athleticism, but his tape just screams "bust" to me. His technique is crap and he gets pushed around way too much.

Blog Entries

If someone like Malcom Brown or Danny Shelton were to drop to us, that could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Around us

I get the allure with Armstead because of his size and athleticism, but his tape just screams "bust" to me. His technique is crap and he gets pushed around way too much.
    He's a project for sure but I don't see him anymore of a bust than others in the draft.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    I agree. The loss of Ngata, IMO stings the Ravens brass more than the fans think. The fans just look and say well we got Jernigan. And while we do have Jernigan, I still think losing a guy like Ngata is not something you just look at Jernigan and sleep well at night because you think your defense is going to be A-OK. No you just lost a huge piece of what makes this car run the way it does. I wouldn't be surprised with a trade out of the #26 pick or just taking Carl Davis at 26. Reports say his interviews were horrible, but I wonder if he interviewed with every team horribly.
    And with this as well. Losing Haloti was almost like losing two or three guys since he was so versatile. Im all for next man up but I have feeling its going to take MEN plural to make up for Halotis absence.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If someone like Malcom Brown or Danny Shelton were to drop to us, that could be interesting.
    I remember awhile ago someone here doing a mock draft and they made the case for him as our #1 pick. I wouldn't be mad at all if this turned out this way but he really looks like hes trending up..... Id be shocked if he was there at 26 now. But if he is well definitely have to think long and hard about it.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect