Arrow 2015 Orioles season prediction thread

I know it's a bit late but it's a long, long season. Last year they showed virtually nothing in their first 61 games (31-30). Then on June 9, they started winning series after series while the pitching suddenly looked very strong. This season? Although I expect them to clinch a playoff berth, I am not optimistic about having success in the postseason. They still look like the best team in their division.

AL East

Baltimore
    Toronto
    Tampa Bay
    Boston
    New Yawk

Orioles: 90-72; team ERA: 3.80; team BA: .267

Machado will have a 'monster year'.

They will get as far in the playoffs as Showalter's rigid managing style will allow (doubt they make it to the WS). In 2012 and 2014 postseasons, he refused to sacrifice when the game was on the line - even when they faced elimination.

Re: 2015 Orioles season prediction thread

On July 12, Orioles lost a series at home to Washington for the first time in eight years, losing a 3-2 game. Ironically, the turning point in the game was a mental defensive error by Adam Jones who also happened to be responsible for the Orioles' two runs (solo homers). With the Orioles ahead 1-0 and the Nationals with two runners on base, Adam bobbled a base hit in centerfield before wildly throwing to home - with absolutely no chance of getting the runner at the the plate - resulting in two runners in scoring position with the game tied at 1-1. Of course, Chen surrendered a subsequent hit that brought both runners in. This was very atypical of Jones who is a much, much smarter player than that - although, granted, he's still human.

BUT neither the Baltimore Sun or MLB.COM mentioned that very rare and interesting fact. For those of you who didn't watch the game or listen live on radio, consider yourself lucky that you read this post (unless a TV highlites analyst objectively pointed it out).

At the All-Star break, the O's hon are 44-44, four games out of first. After posting a 23-29 beginning, they went 18-5. But since then, they have limped along at 3-10. You tell me where they are heading. They better dramatically improve - and fast. Their next nine games are @ Detroit, @ NYY and @ Tampa. After last season, I cannot tolerate seeing the O's lose another season series to the Yankees (a.k.a. 'rolling over and playing dead').
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 07-13-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: typo

Here's hoping they turn it around after the break. That's when they really turned it on last year

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Here's hoping they turn it around after the break. That's when they really turned it on last year
    I'm ticked off.

They managed to win two of three in Detroit (who they swept in the playoffs last year). But the first and pivotal game in the Yankees series ended up as another 3-2 loss. Take a close look at the very first inning. Machado leads off the game by reaching first, then - surprise, surprise - Paredes strikes out. Isn't Chen having an extremely hard time getting run support this season? Does Showalter care? With a man on first and nobody out, the Orioles should be sacrificing to get that ONE run in that countless times makes the difference in a game. So what happens in the bottom of the first? The Yankees sacrificed TWICE to get that ONE run in. Granted, they led off with a double. BUT they didn't waste at-bats swinging away against the Orioles best pitcher. In retrospect, the game was lost in the first inning.

I am sick and tired of hearing that the Oriole players don't bunt well - that they can hit HRs to compensate. ANY major leaguer , 'worth his salt', MUST know how to bunt effectively AND practices accordingly. Because there will be numerous times when close games will be won by the team who sacrifices effectively. And that happens far more often in the postseason when you face the best pitching in the game. And NO pitcher - no matter how great he is - is going to deprive a hitter of a bunt opportunity.

Even if the Orioles somehow make the 2015 postseason it will certainly be because of their timely HRs (assuming their pitching overall holds up). BUT, remember they haven't been to a World Series in 32 years. And unless Showalter changes his style of managing (don't hold your breath), they won't make it this year as well. For that to happen, either Buck is fired (again) OR the makeup of this ball club changes dramatically to enable the sacrifice game.

CCx

With the non-waiver trading deadline (7/31) come and gone, I am disappointed that Duquette apparently did not have the leverage to trade for at least one solid starting pitcher. Currently, there are only two in the starting rotation who can be relied upon in any given start (Tilman, Chen). Most recently, the rest are simply not demonstrating that they are capable of back-to-back quality starts. Gausman MAY be on the verge of maturing if Showalter stops treating him as a yo-yo (i.e., in and out of the rotation). Jiminez is struggling badly on the road. And Gonzalez is an enigma from game to game - performance up and down.

In 2012 when the starting rotation was in 'shambles' just after the All Star break, Duquette traded to get and add Saunders to the rotation. (Duquette also made other crucial moves which rapidly 'filled the holes'.) Saunders was strong and steady and ended up starting in the Wild Card game in Texas. Again, the Orioles' best chance this season is the second Wild Card which means that they will have to face one-game elimination against an opponent's best pitcher on the road. To put themselves in that position, they will most likely NOT have their best pitcher available for that one game.

CCx