Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens Want Webb to take a Pay Cut

I thought they would try and restructure Webb but it looks a little more serious

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescriptio...t/Default.aspx

The Baltimore Ravens are trying to convince cornerback Ladarius Webb to accept a pay cut according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com.

Whether Webb will agree to the cut to insure he remains a Raven is "unclear" at this point. Webb is due $8 million in salary in 2015 and will count $12 million toward the salary cap. That is too high a price for a corner back on the cusp of 30 who was injured and/or ineffective for much of the 2014 season. On the other hand, cutting Webb outright would clear only $2 million in cap space and create anoher vacancy in what is already a paper-thin secondary.

Webb is signed through 2017 and is scheduled to earn at least $8 million each season.

Re: Ravens Want Webb to take a Pay Cut

Not sure why Webb would accept a pay cut when he has almost no incentive to. He would be a really swell guy to accept a reasonable salary for his level of play but I don't see it.

Cutting him doesn't help us much either.

Unless if, combined with Haloti not accepting a reasonable extension, they just start purging bad contracts and let the chips fall in 2015. I am not sure entirely sure I would hate that idea, to be honest.

Blog Entries

If the player doesn't accept a pay cut teams almost always cut the guy. If he says no and you don't cut him then you're going to be stuck the next time your're in that situation. I do think though you either pay him or cut him. The rumors of an extension bugged me because of his health issues.

Blog Entries

Seems like it's not more than a rumor but I'm sure they would like him to take a pay cut. Not sure they've asked. Also don't see any reason why he would do it unless they restructure in a way that gives him some money up front.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Unless if, combined with Haloti not accepting a reasonable extension, they just start purging bad contracts and let the chips fall in 2015. I am not sure entirely sure I would hate that idea, to be honest.
    That's what it's starting to look like. Monroe is lucky that he just signed his deal or he'd be next.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's what it's starting to look like. Monroe is lucky that he just signed his deal or he'd be next.
    Don't have it in front of me but I believe his dead money is $10M. I would be pretty shocked if they cut him.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Don't have it in front of me but I believe his dead money is $10M. I would be pretty shocked if they cut him.
    Monroe is safe for the next 2 years. After that he's fair game if he hasn't improved.

Webb has $10 million in dead money but $2 million in cap relief. If they designate him as a June 1st release then the cap savings are $8 million. They could do that and sign their rookies after 6/1 and still have space left over

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If the player doesn't accept a pay cut teams almost always cut the guy. If he says no and you don't cut him then you're going to be stuck the next time your're in that situation. I do think though you either pay him or cut him. The rumors of an extension bugged me because of his health issues.
    Yup...usually teams don't break out the pay cut card until they are prepared to release the player if they don't accept.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    I'm all for purging contracts. They just have to nail this draft and get some good players. And find some bargain basement FA's.

I'm not really high on Webb anyways. I don't see him being anymore than an average starter next year.

Blog Entries

There could be incentive. The Ravens could cut his pay but still pay him above what he would get on the open market. Make it work for both the team and the player. He's not Ngata. I don't think he's getting anything close to what the Ravens are currently paying him as a FA.

damn so we could lose ngata and webb.