Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Rewatching the Ravens Super Bowl victory over the Giants

As I am re-watching that game, there is only one thought that can come to my mind............

Words cannot describe how difficult it must have been for the Ravens to win that game with Trent Dilfer as the QB. Yet, they still won by 20+. That, in and of itself, explains just how great the 2000 Ravens defense was.

I mean, I'm not even out of the first quarter and Trent Dilfer has literally missed five wide open pass catchers. His first quarter was so bad that even with average QB play, they would have been up 17-0 minimum by the end of the first quarter.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Rewatching the Ravens Super Bowl victory over the Giants

And yet there are some who still believe if they had resigned him to a big contract, we'd have won more SB's in the early 2000's....boggles my mind. He was an average QB at best. I'm just glad the stars aligned the way they did for the one magical ride.

Obviously Grbac didnt work out, but giving Dilfer starter money really wasn't an option. Shame they couldn't have gotten Brad Johnson.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Watching the Ravens winning that SB never gets old.

It was definitely the right move but he DID make plays when he needed to so I'm not willing to quite condemn him as much as some have over the years.

The game I always watch from that year is the Titans playoff game. We were not supposed to win that game. We were supposed to have our doors blown off in that one.

It was maddening how Dilfer would miss the easiest reads.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    As I am re-watching that game, there is only one thought that can come to my mind............

Words cannot describe how difficult it must have been for the Ravens to win that game with Trent Dilfer as the QB. Yet, they still won by 20+. That, in and of itself, explains just how great the 2000 Ravens defense was.

I mean, I'm not even out of the first quarter and Trent Dilfer has literally missed five wide open pass catchers. His first quarter was so bad that even with average QB play, they would have been up 17-0 minimum by the end of the first quarter.
    Boomer Esiason went over the Tom Matte at half time and said the score should be
    50-0. His pre-game practice and practices during the week were even worse.

He knew the score. Dilfer went on Jay Leno's show and said I'll probably be the first
    SB winning QB to be cut.

Dilfer's accuracy was terrible throughout the playoffs. I mean really bad.

I never thought highly of him personally...he was a great QB for the locker room, but the guy all too frequently couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Dilfer's accuracy was terrible throughout the playoffs. I mean really bad.

I never thought highly of him personally...he was a great QB for the locker room, but the guy all too frequently couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
    Should have let some air out, LOL.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

The Giants 16 possessions:

PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    INTERCEPTION
    PUNT
    INTERCEPTION
    INTERCEPTION
    PUNT
    INTERCEPTION
    PUNT
    PUNT
    PUNT
    END OF GAME

Any questions?....................................

Dilfer was Boller before Boller was. Great guy, would do anything to help the team win, but just wasn't accurate enough to be a starting NFL QB.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It was definitely the right move but he DID make plays when he needed to so I'm not willing to quite condemn him as much as some have over the years.

The game I always watch from that year is the Titans playoff game. We were not supposed to win that game. We were supposed to have our doors blown off in that one.

It was maddening how Dilfer would miss the easiest reads.
    Very similar to the MileHigh Miracle game in Denver - we were not supposed to have won that game, either! That 2000 Defense only gave up ONE Offensive TD during the entire SB run, and it was the first drive, I believe, in the Titans game! That game was the SB game, imho!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

The Giants had absolutely no chance of winning that game the second the Ravens won the AFFCG as long as Dilfer didn't do anything to lose them the game. PERIOD.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Dilfer was Boller before Boller was. Great guy, would do anything to help the team win, but just wasn't accurate enough to be a starting NFL QB.
    Um. No. Kyle Boller was exponentially worse than Dilfer. Not even close.