Page 5 of 255 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: The Deflate Gate Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    If it doesn't change the games then why have such a narrow window for regulation inflation? If football is truly a game of inches it certainly could have affected our playoff losses against the Cheats. I remember watching an episode of "How It's Made" where they did footballs, and even the number of stitches has to be precise. If a few PSI doesn't matter then let's just let them play with nerf balls if they are more comfortable with it. If it doesn't matter, then why even chance doing it? Why would Brady make that strange joke about Gronk spiking the ball and letting some air out?
    Well if it was 1 PSI under the regulation, comparing it to nerf balls is completely exaggerated and an idiotic argument.

We got beat because our secondary blew. Not because the balls were underinflated. Get over it. Dwayne Allen's comments were perfect.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

If it doesn't change the games then why have such a narrow window for regulation inflation? If football is truly a game of inches it certainly could have affected our playoff losses against the Cheats. I remember watching an episode of "How It's Made" where they did footballs, and even the number of stitches has to be precise. If a few PSI doesn't matter then let's just let them play with nerf balls if they are more comfortable with it. If it doesn't matter, then why even chance doing it? Why would Brady make that strange joke about Gronk spiking the ball and letting some air out?
    You make some valid points. It seems that some people don't realize (or want to realize) just how serious this rule violation is. I think it was Troy Aikman who said deflating the footballs gives the offense a huge advantage.

I hadn't really thought about that Brady joke about Gronk spiking the ball and letting the air out. But now I'm wondering if he knew at the time that the Patriots balls were being deflated before the games, and that was why deflated balls was on his mind when he made the joke.

Also his press conference before the Super Bowl, he seemed to be evasive and not very believable. I believed Belichick more than Brady. It would not surprise me if if came out that Belichick didn't know (or looked the other way) while Brady orchestrated the illegal deflation of the footballs.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Well if it was 1 PSI under the regulation, comparing it to nerf balls is completely exaggerated and an idiotic argument.

We got beat because our secondary blew. Not because the balls were underinflated. Get over it. Dwayne Allen's comments were perfect.
    Their vaunted secondary wasn't exactly lights out. Yes, if our secondary played remotely respectable we would have beat them regardless of their cheating, but it could have made a difference in a close game. We have had two very close playoff games against the Cheats. We lost both of them.

Their vaunted secondary wasn't exactly lights out. Yes, if our secondary played remotely respectable we would have beat them regardless of their cheating, but it could have made a difference in a close game. We have had two very close playoff games against the Cheats. We lost both of them.
    Wasn't exactly lights out? What team were you watching. Bottom 10 in regular seasons and 11/12 in the postseason.

Regardless, I do not think the PSI of the balls played a big enough of role in the losses to make this that big of an issue.

@Maverick Hiker - Can you explain just how serious this rule violation is. Boy I sure hope your justification isn't because Troy Aikman said so (without a link).

I get what you guys are saying and I realize it's the Patriots. I hate the Patriots more than anyone (90% of NFL fans in Canada like the Pats and they are all bandwagon fans). Trust me I get it. But, a lot of this talk about them being cheaters gets blended into looking like an excuse for why we lost. And to me that is absolute BS.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Wasn't exactly lights out? What team were you watching. Bottom 10 in regular seasons and 11/12 in the postseason.

Regardless, I do not think the PSI of the balls played a big enough of role in the losses to make this that big of an issue.

@Maverick Hiker - Can you explain just how serious this rule violation is. Boy I sure hope your justification isn't because Troy Aikman said so (without a link).

I get what you guys are saying and I realize it's the Patriots. I hate the Patriots more than anyone (90% of NFL fans in Canada like the Pats and they are all bandwagon fans). Trust me I get it. But, a lot of this talk about them being cheaters gets blended into looking like an excuse for why we lost. And to me that is absolute BS.
    The reason teams lose is because the other team scored more points,LOL. It's not an excuse, but plausible to think it helped the other team, no denying that. Think outside of the box, it's easy to go your way of thinking.

Yea, the team lost because they weren't good enough. They gave up points with a bad secondary. Having an easier ball to catch that doesn't bounce off the hands helps.

Any fan knows the momentum of a game changes when certain plays produce points or first downs. Ravens lost by 4 points with a bad secondary, against the great TB. Who didn't get the lead till the 4th quarter. Against a team that took other teams to the woodshed year after year.

If the initial report was true and the balls were underinflated, rule violation. If that report came from the officials and enough people witnessed that discovery, does it get swept under the rug because kraft, brady , belicheat and pats fans call BS

I have a different view.

The last TD pass Brady threw in the Divisional playoff game, to Brandon LaFell, was caught without the receiver having a clear view of the ball. Ball hit his hands and stuck like velcro. Contrast this with the 3d down pass to Owen Daniels, in the end zone, in the 4th Q drive that ended in our only FG. Hit ODs hands, and bounded off like a super ball hitting a wall.

If Brady was throwing a doctored ball and Joe was throwing a regulation ball, inflation level certainly could have affected outcome of these two plays, and hence the game.

IMHO this is a super serious infraction, if true as alleged. In most sports, violating rules in such a blatant manner results in anything ranging from a goal disallowed (i.e. a lax stick has too deep of a pocket) to a player being ejected (i.e. Google Michael Pineda). NFL needs not only to provide closure on Deflate Gate, but also institute meaningful in game consequences for breaking of rules in this manner.

This was all of course covered in the Old thread.

Why is the NFL taking so long to wrap this up? I'm curious how this ends, but at this point nothing new has been reported for some time.

I get the whole tough attitude of, "If our defense played better we should have beat them if they played with 12 guys on offense". Cheating is cheating. Deliberately deflating balls must give some advantage. Tom Brady has played around enough with deflated balls to make a strange joke about preferring them. If it changed one play in either of our playoff losses to them, then we could be looking at the difference of two more Championships. That's no guarantee, but it is plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Why is the NFL taking so long to wrap this up? I'm curious how this ends, but at this point nothing new has been reported for some time.
    Because they don't want to be viewed as a rush to judgement type situation ala Ray Rice. And rightfully so.

If they rush and get it wrong, the league has a huge problem on their hand.

I was just trying to be a dink (it worked)

In all seriousness, I'm in the same standing as HR. To me this is all ridiculous. It wouldn't have changed the games IMHO. I'm just sick of people talking about it.
    Tend to agree. If there is any evidence of wrongdoing, some level of punishment may be doled out to assuage the masses, but the NFL isn't going to hammer King Kraft and the Viacom teet.

Personally, I am sick and tired of hearing/reading about this - but I did want to chime in and make one point.

I think it's undeniable that underinflating footballs makes a huge difference. For those who possess a real, leather football, just try it. Me and my housemates keep an old Wilson GST (the official HS football, for those who may remember :D) lying around, and of course, it is severely underinflated. We play one-hand toss with that thing all the time, and I swear you can catch it with three fingers even if it's thrown hard. I look like a steroid-infused lab experiment blend of Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Odell Beckham Jr when we throw this ball around.

So, I reiterate - I wish we would never hear about this again because I just want to focus on next year - but I think it's important that people recognize that what the Patriots did does matter. I suspect many of us feel the same way as I do (i.e. "just F'n let it go already") but it's important for fairness in the future that people don't undermine the significance of this kind of infraction.

I get the whole tough attitude of, "If our defense played better we should have beat them if they played with 12 guys on offense". Cheating is cheating. Deliberately deflating balls must give some advantage. Tom Brady has played around enough with deflated balls to make a strange joke about preferring them. If it changed one play in either of our playoff losses to them, then we could be looking at the difference of two more Championships. That's no guarantee, but it is plausible.
    yup football is a game of inches