Arrow In an alternate, Mel Kiper-run universe, who would the #Ravens (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ravens) have picked? russellstree

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: In an alternate, Mel Kiper-run universe, who would the #Ravens (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ravens) have picked? russells

Nice story by Tyler. It intrigued me enough to wonder about other mock drafters. So I took a look at Mel's nemesis, Todd McShay, to see who he mocked to the Ravens over the same five drafts and if the Ravens brass out-thunked him any better than they out-drafted Mel's Mock. Sorry to say, no. Here are Todd's final projected pick for the Ravens, their actual use of that pick, and how the two stack up.

2010, 25th pick: Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State (actual: traded pick for Kindle, Dickson, Pitta) Odrick was drafted by Miami 28th overall, sat out as a rookie with a broken foot and was a modestly successful back up until finally getting 16 starts in 2014. He’s a free agent still waiting to hear from the Dolphins. Advantage: Ravens.

2011, 26th pick: Cam Heyward, DE, Ohio State (actual: Jimmy Smith). The Steelers drafted Heyward 31st overall. Heyward replaced Ziggy Hood as a starter two years ago and has never missed a game. The Steelers picked up his option through 2015. Advantage: Draw

2012, 29th pick: Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame (actual: traded out for Upshaw and Gradkowski). Smith was picked 29th, by the Vikings and earned all-rookie honors with two INTS returned for TDs. He missed most of his sophomore year with an injury but makes a lot of tackles at a position the Ravens would have done well to fill in 2012, which would have allowed them to avoid later mistakes at safety. Advantage: McShay. Interesting to note both Heyward and Smith have been fined for abusing officials.

2013 32nd pick: Eric Reid, S, LSU. (actual: Elam). This one is a bit unfair because McShay vastly underrated Reid. The 49rs had to trade all the way up from one spot ahead of the Ravens to 18 to get Reid. He started right away and made the Pro Bowl last year. Clearly a better player but one that would have cost the Ravens. The Niners also gave the Cowboys the 74th pick – a mid-third-rounder -- to get Reid. The Ravens didn’t have a pick in that range. They did pick twenty spots higher at the end of the second round. That pick could have been packaged to outbid the Niners in order to move up for Reid. That pick was instead used on Arthur Brown. No question whether the team would be better off with Reid versus Brown and Elam. Advantage; McShay

2014 17th pick: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame. (actual: Mosley) This is an interesting one. The media had pegged Johnny Football going to Dallas with their 16th pick. Jerry Jones actually wanted Ryan Shazier, but he went to Pittsburgh one spot earlier. The Cowboys instead settled for Martin one pick ahead of the Ravens. Martin was moved to guard and helped turn around the Cowboys offensive line and running game. He became the first rookie lineman to be named to the All-Pro team in 68 years. As good as Mosley was as a rookie, Martin was better. We’ll never know if the Ravens would have selected him if he was at 17, and arguably Mosley was needed more than Martin was. Still… Advantage: McShay

Blog Entries

Re: In an alternate, Mel Kiper-run universe, who would the #Ravens (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ravens) have picked? russells

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Nice story by Tyler. It intrigued me enough to wonder about other mock drafters. So I took a look at Mel's nemesis, Todd McShay, to see who he mocked to the Ravens over the same five drafts and if the Ravens brass out-thunked him any better than they out-drafted Mel's Mock. Sorry to say, no. Here are Todd's final projected pick for the Ravens, their actual use of that pick, and how the two stack up.

2010, 25th pick: Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State (actual: traded pick for Kindle, Dickson, Pitta) Odrick was drafted by Miami 28th overall, sat out as a rookie with a broken foot and was a modestly successful back up until finally getting 16 starts in 2014. He’s a free agent still waiting to hear from the Dolphins. Advantage: Ravens.

2011, 26th pick: Cam Heyward, DE, Ohio State (actual: Jimmy Smith). The Steelers drafted Heyward 31st overall. Heyward replaced Ziggy Hood as a starter two years ago and has never missed a game. The Steelers picked up his option through 2015. Advantage: Draw

2012, 29th pick: Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame (actual: traded out for Upshaw and Gradkowski). Smith was picked 29th, by the Vikings and earned all-rookie honors with two INTS returned for TDs. He missed most of his sophomore year with an injury but makes a lot of tackles at a position the Ravens would have done well to fill in 2012, which would have allowed them to avoid later mistakes at safety. Advantage: McShay. Interesting to note both Heyward and Smith have been fined for abusing officials.

2013 32nd pick: Eric Reid, S, LSU. (actual: Elam). This one is a bit unfair because McShay vastly underrated Reid. The 49rs had to trade all the way up from one spot ahead of the Ravens to 18 to get Reid. He started right away and made the Pro Bowl last year. Clearly a better player but one that would have cost the Ravens. The Niners also gave the Cowboys the 74th pick – a mid-third-rounder -- to get Reid. The Ravens didn’t have a pick in that range. They did pick twenty spots higher at the end of the second round. That pick could have been packaged to outbid the Niners in order to move up for Reid. That pick was instead used on Arthur Brown. No question whether the team would be better off with Reid versus Brown and Elam. Advantage; McShay

2014 17th pick: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame. (actual: Mosley) This is an interesting one. The media had pegged Johnny Football going to Dallas with their 16th pick. Jerry Jones actually wanted Ryan Shazier, but he went to Pittsburgh one spot earlier. The Cowboys instead settled for Martin one pick ahead of the Ravens. Martin was moved to guard and helped turn around the Cowboys offensive line and running game. He became the first rookie lineman to be named to the All-Pro team in 68 years. As good as Mosley was as a rookie, Martin was better. We’ll never know if the Ravens would have selected him if he was at 17, and arguably Mosley was needed more than Martin was. Still… Advantage: McShay
    I don't agree that Martin is better than Mosley. At worst that is a draw.

From a pure talent standpoint, I'd argue Martin and Mosley are pretty equal, and I have to say I wanted Martin. With the benefit of hindsight however, Mosley was definitely the right pick as if Martin had been available and become a Raven, Ricky Wagner wouldn't have had his stellar breakout season. Sure, you can never have enough linemen, but Mosley made a massive difference, while Wagner provided the needed Oline boost Martin would've.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post
    I don't agree that Martin is better than Mosley. At worst that is a draw.
    The Ravens are better off with Mosley. But if you had a panel of national pundits compare the two rookie seasons I am willing to bet most of not all put Martin slightly ahead. As I said, it's been 68 freaking years since a rookie lineman was voted in as an all-Pro. Mosley didn't manage to win Defensive Rookie of the Year honors, even. He's still a great player, but it's hard to avoid seeing what Martin accomplished.

If the question was who did better with their first pick, the Cowboys or the Ravens, I'd call it a draw because they both filled a need and neither could have done better with the other team's pick. The Ravens didn't need Martin as much because Wagner emerged and the Cowboys didn't need Mosley because Rolondo McClain worked out for them.