Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting Suggs Interview

I had almost forgotten I heard this, but I remembered it today and thought I would share for those who might not have heard:

A few weeks ago I was listening to WBAL and I heard an interview with Suggs. I cannot remember exactly who was doing the interview, or what the exact question was, but he spoke candidly about how he played as a rookie and for a few years after. Basically, he explained that when he started playing he played to compile personal stats, and winning a game was not so much of a focus. He went on to say that as he gained experience, he did just the opposite; he would do whatever it took to win a game.

Old news, but I thought it was interesting. It makes one wonder about the mindset of rookies. I can't say I can blame him as a rookie, most are just trying to make a name for themselves regardless of the price the rest of the team pays. Ironic though, at this point he runs rampant all over the field at will, compiles stats. and helps the team win.

Re: Interesting Suggs Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    I had almost forgotten I heard this, but I remembered it today and thought I would share for those who might not have heard:

A few weeks ago I was listening to WBAL and I heard an interview with Suggs. I cannot remember exactly who was doing the interview, or what the exact question was, but he spoke candidly about how he played as a rookie and for a few years after. Basically, he explained that when he started playing he played to compile personal stats, and winning a game was not so much of a focus. He went on to say that as he gained experience, he did just the opposite; he would do whatever it took to win a game.

Old news, but I thought it was interesting. It makes one wonder about the mindset of rookies. I can't say I can blame him as a rookie, most are just trying to make a name for themselves regardless of the price the rest of the team pays. Ironic though, at this point he runs rampant all over the field at will, compiles stats. and helps the team win.
    Saw that also. Interesting thing this year is the esclators in contracts that certain players had. Doom made substantial amount of extra money with all those sacks he had. Is that what really motivates them. Maybe stripping the ball wasn't a thought , making the sack was more money for him. Suggs on the other hand, who knows what motivated him.

Blog Entries

You have to wonder if the way the CBA structures rookie salaries promotes chasing stats to the detriment of teamwork. With the big payday put off until the end of that first contract, an agent would have to seriously consider advising his clients to put up big numbers if they want to cash in.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Saw that also. Interesting thing this year is the esclators in contracts that certain players had. Doom made substantial amount of extra money with all those sacks he had. Is that what really motivates them. Maybe stripping the ball wasn't a thought , making the sack was more money for him. Suggs on the other hand, who knows what motivated him.
    Remember that that the NFL is a business first and teams are quick to rid themselves of players that are no longer in their prime. It is hard to blame a player for wanting to increase his income. Suggs is set for the rest of his career and no longer has to worry about stats to get his payday.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRaven View Post
    Remember that that the NFL is a business first and teams are quick to rid themselves of players that are no longer in their prime. It is hard to blame a player for wanting to increase his income. Suggs is set for the rest of his career and no longer has to worry about stats to get his payday.
    Exactly, can't blame a players for wanting to make as much money as he can. But if the money makes a player only see money and not wins, that hurts the team.. Good chance the money motivated Doom to line up off sides in the charger game. He wanted that bonus money. He eventually got the sacks to get that bonus. But those penalties kept the charger offense on the field. It's just a thought for that game. If I'm a NFL player, hell yea, make that money, because you never know when your career is over.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post

Suggs is always interesting. Nice catch.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

He said the same thing during a game while he was mic'd up. Said he would only worry about his personal stats and let Ed and Ray win the game. But now has changed and cares more about wins than stats.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

It's crazy to think that those dominate defenses in Suggs 1st 5-7 years could have been even better if Suggs had a different mentality. He has been one hell of a player for us though

Blog Entries

I wonder how much of an impact Harbaugh has had on that change. Billick didn't exactly create an environment that discouraged that kind of thing. Harbaugh clearly does. And he has been known to sit guys that are hurting the team, stats be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I wonder how much of an impact Harbaugh has had on that change. Billick didn't exactly create an environment that discouraged that kind of thing. Harbaugh clearly does. And he has been known to sit guys that are hurting the team, stats be damned.
    Good point. Say what you will about Harbs...he is all about whats best for the team, not individuals.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Perhaps contracts should be constructed in a way where the player receives maximum $'s for stats when the team reaches a certain threshold for wins or makes the playoffs. So let's say if Suggs hits 15 sacks for the year he gets a smaller bonus but if those sacks come in a season where the Ravens win 11 games or more or make the playoffs the bonus is maximized and his bonus is much larger. That way contracts are written with both individual and team stats in mind.

Good idea. Imagine the negotiating that would go on there between the agents and teams! I think baseball has a little more of those incentives than football does.

Additionally, I bet pending free agent players, and especially vets, would like to pad their stats. Steve Smith Sr. for an example - he is a fierce competitor who always seems to be in the thick of a play, whether directly involved in the play or not. Knowing he could possibly not be re-signed, or knows he could be "testing the market soon" would play a little softer off the play as a result. I am not saying he would do it, but human nature in general would surely be a factor in at least some of the players mentality in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulahoo View Post
    Perhaps contracts should be constructed in a way where the player receives maximum $'s for stats when the team reaches a certain threshold for wins or makes the playoffs. So let's say if Suggs hits 15 sacks for the year he gets a smaller bonus but if those sacks come in a season where the Ravens win 11 games or more or make the playoffs the bonus is maximized and his bonus is much larger. That way contracts are written with both individual and team stats in mind.