Thread: Angelose

1. Angelose

Still in court over the Nats. Costing Balt the All-star game. His huggers say 'not his fault'. I know... it is never his fault. One thing after another for 20+ years... never his fault.

Re: Angelose

"If you're a good loser, you keep on losing." - Paul Richards
    He doesn't care...period!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    "If you're a good loser, you keep on losing." - Paul Richards
    He doesn't care...period!
    If he didn't care, he wouldn't be fighting it. Giving in to the ridiculous demands of the Nats would bankrupt MASN meaning less money for the O's payroll. Angelos has certainly had his share of issues over the years, but anyone who thinks he doesn't care is simply blind, deaf, or moronic.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    If he didn't care, he wouldn't be fighting it. Giving in to the ridiculous demands of the Nats would bankrupt MASN meaning less money for the O's payroll. Angelos has certainly had his share of issues over the years, but anyone who thinks he doesn't care is simply blind, deaf, or moronic.

Don't listen to huggers. What does he care about? Money period. Anyone believing otherwise is simply blind, deaf, or moronic. When he takes action it's to put bucks in his pocket. What's in it for him.

Blog Entries

This one isn't on Petey. He got a certain % of the DC cable market promised
    him in writing from Selig and the Nats and they renegged. The Lerner family
    wanted a bigger cut so Selig gave the All Star game to SD to punish Petey
    for going to court.

This is one case, outside of asbestos, Petey will win.

Petey is still calling the shots and I still hate him for destroying one of the
    mos successful sports franchises in the world.

FROM BIRDWATCHER.COM

Peter Angelos felt (justly, in my view) that a team in Washington would cut into his market size. While it was and still is unclear as to whether or not Angelos had a leg on which to stand in this regard, the threat of going to court against him made MLB decide to cut him a deal. And a heck of a deal it was; Angelos’ upstart MASN network would own Washington’s TV rights in perpetuity (which means not subject to termination).

Not only that, but both the Orioles’ and Nationals’ would get the same amount each year from MASN in terms of rights fees. (Washington would also own a minority stake in the network.) The fees would re-set every five years, using the accepted methodology used in MLB to determine TV rights fees. The first such re-set was to be in 2011, and that’s what’s currently still in court. The Nationals wanted in the neighborhood of $120 million, whereas MASN wanted somewhere in the range of $60 million.

Bear in mind again that both teams have to get the same amount in rights fees. So the case went to arbitration, and MASN still didn’t like the outcome. According to MASN, neither the Nationals or the arbitration committee (comprised of the owners of the Rays, Pirates, and Mets) used the Bortz Forumula, which is the accepted methodology in MLB to determine TV rights fees. Again according to MASN, when you plug in the Bortz Forumula you get the number that they originally provided.

So now MASN/Angelos/the Orioles is going to court against the Washington Nationals and MLB. The point of contention is that not only was the contract not followed using the specified methodology, but that the arbitration panel itself had a stake in seeing the rights fees higher. Both Tampa and Pittsburgh are smaller markets, so having a market like Baltimore have such high rights fees would bear well as an example for them to use against their own cable providers. That combined with the fact that the Mets play in a shared market also means in effect that the panel that was supposed to be independent was in fact harboring a conflict of interest.

I’m not a lawyer, although I’d like to think I have a basic knowledge of how the law works based on some courses I took in college as part of my minor. However given all of that, one can kind of see how Peter Angelos, MASN, and the Orioles are kind of being railroaded. MLB cut a deal with Angelos, which admittedly was a bad deal for them and the Washington Nationals. However they still cut the deal, and Angelos is a man that expects people to honor their agreements.

There are some who will say that the greed of Peter Angelos is costing Baltimore the all-star game. And you might well consider that point. However I can tell you that I view the world in a similar manner; I try to always honor my commitments. I also expect those around me to do the same. So is it really fair to blame Angelos for going after every penny that he was promised in writing?

In effect, MLB, Bud Selig, and the Lerner Family (ownes of the Nationals) are trying to reneg on a horrible deal from their perspective. Howeer regardless of how one-sided the deal was, it was still a signed agreement. (MLB owned the Nationals at the time and the Lerner family had to sign off on the agreement when they bought the team.) Therefore the fact is that Angelos is well within his right to expect what’s due to him.

Is this costing the city itself the all-star game? It might well be. However I would submit that yanking the all-star game out of Baltimore is more reflective on the pettiness of MLB than anything else. However much of what you hear in the national media is simply going to state that Angelos is being petty and that the city’s losing the game as a result. It may well be petty matter; but it’s a petty matter in which he’s also in the right. Now in all honesty, who among us is willing to in essence stand down when we’re right?
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-05-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    This one isn't on Petey. He got a certain % of the DC cable market promised
    him in writing from Selig and the Nats and they renegged. The Lerner family
    wanted a bigger cut so Selig gave the All Star game to SD to punish Petey
    for going to court.

This is one case, outside of asbestos, Petey will win vs baseball.

Petey is still calling the shots and I still hate him for destroying one of the
    mos successful sports franchises in the world.

FROM BIRDWATCHER.COM

Peter Angelos felt (justly, in my view) that a team in Washington would cut into his market size. While it was and still is unclear as to whether or not Angelos had a leg on which to stand in this regard, the threat of going to court against him made MLB decide to cut him a deal. And a heck of a deal it was; Angelos’ upstart MASN network would own Washington’s TV rights in perpetuity (which means not subject to termination).

Not only that, but both the Orioles’ and Nationals’ would get the same amount each year from MASN in terms of rights fees. (Washington would also own a minority stake in the network.) The fees would re-set every five years, using the accepted methodology used in MLB to determine TV rights fees. The first such re-set was to be in 2011, and that’s what’s currently still in court. The Nationals wanted in the neighborhood of $120 million, whereas MASN wanted somewhere in the range of $60 million.

Bear in mind again that both teams have to get the same amount in rights fees. So the case went to arbitration, and MASN still didn’t like the outcome. According to MASN, neither the Nationals or the arbitration committee (comprised of the owners of the Rays, Pirates, and Mets) used the Bortz Forumula, which is the accepted methodology in MLB to determine TV rights fees. Again according to MASN, when you plug in the Bortz Forumula you get the number that they originally provided.

So now MASN/Angelos/the Orioles is going to court against the Washington Nationals and MLB. The point of contention is that not only was the contract not followed using the specified methodology, but that the arbitration panel itself had a stake in seeing the rights fees higher. Both Tampa and Pittsburgh are smaller markets, so having a market like Baltimore have such high rights fees would bear well as an example for them to use against their own cable providers. That combined with the fact that the Mets play in a shared market also means in effect that the panel that was supposed to be independent was in fact harboring a conflict of interest.

I’m not a lawyer, although I’d like to think I have a basic knowledge of how the law works based on some courses I took in college as part of my minor. However given all of that, one can kind of see how Peter Angelos, MASN, and the Orioles are kind of being railroaded. MLB cut a deal with Angelos, which admittedly was a bad deal for them and the Washington Nationals. However they still cut the deal, and Angelos is a man that expects people to honor their agreements.

There are some who will say that the greed of Peter Angelos is costing Baltimore the all-star game. And you might well consider that point. However I can tell you that I view the world in a similar manner; I try to always honor my commitments. I also expect those around me to do the same. So is it really fair to blame Angelos for going after every penny that he was promised in writing?

In effect, MLB, Bud Selig, and the Lerner Family (ownes of the Nationals) are trying to reneg on a horrible deal from their perspective. Howeer regardless of how one-sided the deal was, it was still a signed agreement. (MLB owned the Nationals at the time and the Lerner family had to sign off on the agreement when they bought the team.) Therefore the fact is that Angelos is well within his right to expect what’s due to him.

Is this costing the city itself the all-star game? It might well be. However I would submit that yanking the all-star game out of Baltimore is more reflective on the pettiness of MLB than anything else. However much of what you hear in the national media is simply going to state that Angelos is being petty and that the city’s losing the game as a result. It may well be petty matter; but it’s a petty matter in which he’s also in the right. Now in all honesty, who among us is willing to in essence stand down when we’re right?
    iagree:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    Don't listen to huggers. What does he care about? Money period. Anyone believing otherwise is simply blind, deaf, or moronic. When he takes action it's to put bucks in his pocket. What's in it for him.
    Damn right about money and I know first hand. He got my dad a nice asbestos
    settlement from down the point but Petey made billions while the ones that suffered
    made a small fraction of what he got. He went into the union hall with gieger-sp counters
    that started beeping like crazy as soon as he walked in. Not many lawyers could
    have done what he did and now he is taking on the cigs industry namely
    Phillip Morris as the lead atty. I thought he retired. He's in his 80s.

When we first went into his law office it was just a small office bldg on Harford Rd.
    He had just started winning the asbestos cases and hadn't bought the Os yet. Later
    he moved into One Charles Center which he owns plus other large
    buildings down town. I never saw him before and I was sitting in the lobby with
    my parents and this man came walking down the hallway with about 8 guys behind
    him. I took one look at him and knew it was Petey. He just had the look of a guy
    who owned the place. I sure wouldn't want to work for him.

He has given a lot of money back to the city, Obama, and University of Baltimore
    where he and his sons went - same as Schaeffer, Agnew, Mandel, Dale
    Anderson, Hyman Pressman, half the judges in Baltimore and legislatures in Annapolis.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-05-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post

Bolded part x1000. Who cares about the All Star game... the long-term future of the team is much more important. Simply giving in to the Nats demands would make it even harder for the O's to be competitive. There are a million legitimate things that you can bitch about when it comes to Angelos, this doesn't even come close to being one of them.

AirFlacco,

Angelos can be disliked, even hated, for how he ran the Orioles between 1998 and 2011, but he did not destroy one of the most successful sports franchises in the world. Unfortunately, the Orioles were already lousy before his group took over. From 1984 until 1995, they never made the playoffs (closest they came was their 87 win "Why Not" season in 1989 when the entire division was down, and most of those seasons were below .500. They were mediocre at best when he took over.
    Al

Blog Entries

You're exactly right, they were poor when Petey took over and we were so excited
    like when Bisciotti took over the Ravens but hardly with the same results.

There were about 15 losing seasons under Petey so he took them to deeper depths
    than EBW and especially Jacobs. They never had that many losing seasons. When
    they fianally made the POs under Buck, kids that were 15 won on TV saying they
    never saw an Os playoff game.

I went to every playoff and world series game played in Baltimore.

The only difference between Petey and Irsay is, Petey hasn't moved the team yet.

You can't compare those times because those ownerships weren't competing in the era of modern TV contracts and free agency where the larger markets are able to more than double the player payroll of teams in smaller to mid markets like Baltimore.

Complaining about Angelos in 2015 is just straight dumb.