Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ravens over Steelers - Game Balls

Just want to hand out some recognition after that outstanding performance.

Joe Flacco: Goes without saying, but Flacco played great, turnover-free football. In past playoff losses, when something goes wrong (like the Forsett fumble), the Ravens would start pressing and turn one mistake into three or four in a row, crushing our hopes. This time, Flacco settled us down and kept us in the lead, getting us to an important field goal and then the quick strike TD to Gillmore after.

Terrell Suggs: The INT was the biggest play, but Suggs got great pressure and played great in the run game too. I was surprised at how sure the announcers were about Suggs' eventual Hall of Fame candidacy, but games like this one are a big statement that he belongs in Canton.

Darian Stewart: For as inconsistent as Stewart has been all year, he had a great game tonight. He got the key pressure on Suggs' INT, and he kept Brown from scoring a TD early in the game as well. Made a few other solid plays too, including the interception in the end zone where he wisely took a knee.

Kelechi Osemele: I don't know about the rest of you, but I had about five different flashbacks when Harrison started to beat Hurst on the Torrey Smith TD play. Ball vulnerable in Flacco's hand, that crippling red zone turnover... I could feel it. And KO peeled back and flattened Harrison before he could get there. Flacco scrambles out, finds Torrey, we go up 11. If not for Suggs and his pick, this could have been the play of the game. He also paved the way on the Pierce TD and sprung Forsett multiple times. Also a great drive block on the Flacco fourth down conversion.

John Urschel: Shoutout to Hurst and Yanda and Zuttah too, for generally keeping Flacco upright all game. But Urschel impressed me the most. He was announced in the open, and then you didn't hear his name the rest of the game. No pressures coming through, no glaringly failed run blocks... he played great, and I wonder if we should keep the Urschel/Yanda right side of the line even if Monroe comes back next week.

Pernell McPhee: Ngata and Doom get credit here too, but McPhee was especially disruptive. I know it's not likely but I'd really like to find a way to keep him in purple next season.

Justin Tucker: Clutch, as always.

John Harbaugh, Gary Kubiak, Dean Pees, and the rest of the coaching staff: Great game plan on both sides of the ball, and we played with the intensity we had lacked down the stretch.

All the CBs: Finally, even though they didn't do anything splashy, the CBs kept the talented Pittsburgh WRs from taking advantage of them, for the most part. Melvin is making the case to be back next season, and Webb had another solid game. If we get this sort of play in the weeks to come, we can continue to advance.

So excited about this win. Two years ago we shocked the world... maybe we can do it again.

Re: Ravens over Steelers - Game Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Just want to hand out some recognition after that outstanding performance.

Joe Flacco: Goes without saying, but Flacco played great, turnover-free football. In past playoff losses, when something goes wrong (like the Forsett fumble), the Ravens would start pressing and turn one mistake into three or four in a row, crushing our hopes. This time, Flacco settled us down and kept us in the lead, getting us to an important field goal and then the quick strike TD to Gillmore after.

Terrell Suggs: The INT was the biggest play, but Suggs got great pressure and played great in the run game too. I was surprised at how sure the announcers were about Suggs' eventual Hall of Fame candidacy, but games like this one are a big statement that he belongs in Canton.

Darian Stewart: For as inconsistent as Stewart has been all year, he had a great game tonight. He got the key pressure on Suggs' INT, and he kept Brown from scoring a TD early in the game as well. Made a few other solid plays too, including the interception in the end zone where he wisely took a knee.

Kelechi Osemele: I don't know about the rest of you, but I had about five different flashbacks when Harrison started to beat Hurst on the Torrey Smith TD play. Ball vulnerable in Flacco's hand, that crippling red zone turnover... I could feel it. And KO peeled back and flattened Harrison before he could get there. Flacco scrambles out, finds Torrey, we go up 11. If not for Suggs and his pick, this could have been the play of the game. He also paved the way on the Pierce TD and sprung Forsett multiple times. Also a great drive block on the Flacco fourth down conversion.

John Urschel: Shoutout to Hurst and Yanda and Zuttah too, for generally keeping Flacco upright all game. But Urschel impressed me the most. He was announced in the open, and then you didn't hear his name the rest of the game. No pressures coming through, no glaringly failed run blocks... he played great, and I wonder if we should keep the Urschel/Yanda right side of the line even if Monroe comes back next week.

Pernell McPhee: Ngata and Doom get credit here too, but McPhee was especially disruptive. I know it's not likely but I'd really like to find a way to keep him in purple next season.

Justin Tucker: Clutch, as always.

John Harbaugh, Gary Kubiak, Dean Pees, and the rest of the coaching staff: Great game plan on both sides of the ball, and we played with the intensity we had lacked down the stretch.

All the CBs: Finally, even though they didn't do anything splashy, the CBs kept the talented Pittsburgh WRs from taking advantage of them, for the most part. Melvin is making the case to be back next season, and Webb had another solid game. If we get this sort of play in the weeks to come, we can continue to advance.

So excited about this win. Two years ago we shocked the world... maybe we can do it again.
    Nice list.

Let me add Brandon Williams to that list if I can. The kid is dominate when he is the game IMO. He is really shaping up to be a very good player.

Forsett may not have had the rushing stats in terms of numbers but early on he was highly effective which helped the play action game. Later in the game he did a fantastic job of picking up a number of blitzes. Perhaps his finest work tonight was as a blocker, allowing Joe time to hit on some of those passes.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Forsett did have a big block on a Polamalu blitz and generally played well... but that fumble was almost devastating.

Brandon Williams definitely played well too, especially in discouraging the running game early on. He has quietly become one of the best NTs in the game. I kind of hope he stays off the recognition radar for a couple more years until we re-sign him.

Blog Entries

I think Owen Daniels should be mentioned here. He made several catches (4 out of 5 targets for 70 yards) that kept the chains moving. At times he kind of looked like Pitta out there... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Forsett did have a big block on a Polamalu blitz and generally played well... but that fumble was almost devastating.

Brandon Williams definitely played well too, especially in discouraging the running game early on. He has quietly become one of the best NTs in the game. I kind of hope he stays off the recognition radar for a couple more years until we re-sign him.
    Totally agree here. He will be paid well at some point by the Ravens. I can't see them letting him go.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I think Owen Daniels should be mentioned here. He made several catches (4 out of 5 targets for 70 yards) that kept the chains moving. At times he kind of looked like Pitta out there... Bc
    I almost cited Daniels, especially for that huge third-and-13 pickup, but my list was pretty long already. All of Joe's receivers did pretty well. Can't remember any drops, and guys like Steve Smith made tough catches. Torrey almost gets a second score too. Overall though, I was most impressed with Joe and his ball placement. He made it really easy on the receivers, outside of some early jitters. That near-TD to Torrey was just perfectly placed, and a lot of his conversions were right on target too.

7. Re: Ravens over Steelers - Game Balls

I agree with the whole list. Stewart is a guy I seem to be constantly bitching about on these forums but he played a great game. Hell, even Elam had a good game too. He made a great open field tackle and picked off the 2 pt conversion. It was a great overall effort and great team win.

I still think Hurst is our LT of the future, especially if we decide to get out of Monroe's contract and re-sign a valuable guy like KO in the near future. Hurst has been solid for an undrafted rookie, and should continue to get better with more experience.

Blog Entries

A ton of game balls for this one. All 3 units clicked. They won every phase of the game. A real real team victory.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I still think Hurst is our LT of the future, especially if we decide to get out of Monroe's contract and re-sign a valuable guy like KO in the near future. Hurst has been solid for an undrafted rookie, and should continue to get better with more experience.
    I don't think getting out of Monroe's contract would be easy or particularly wise, but keeping Hurst around to develop and provide depth is a great thing for us. Getting even moderately competent LT play in the NFL without having to spend contract money or a draft pick is... extremely rare.

Blog Entries

It was a small play but had a huge affect on the game IMO - Matt Elam's pass defense on the two point conversion kept the Ravens lead at 5 points instead of a FG. Flacco drives the offense back down field and Justin "Clutch" Tucker kicks a huge FG. Game is at 8 points again.

Blog Entries

Elvis was ballin'

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!