Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Comparing this team to the 2012 Ravens

Both teams finished 10-6 in seasons filled with adversity. Talent wise, you could makean argument that they are both around the same. I'd say that this team is better in the trenches on both sides of the ball, but the 2012 team had a much better secondary, and Boldin/Pitta. While Steve Smith and Owen Daniels have been great for us, they just aren't quite the same. The passing game advantage goes to the 2012 Ravens.

The one thing that the 2012 team had over this team that is the key difference, is that they were so clutch. I'm not sure I see that in this team, they haven't really shown the ability to make magic plays like 4th and 29, or the Mile high miracle. The leadership is not the same without Ray and Ed either.

Ultimately it comes down to Joe. If Joe can play as well as he did in that stretch run, who knows what can happen.

Re: Comparing this team to the 2012 Ravens

If Joe plays like he did in 2012, they will be a very tough out.

The biggest difference to me is the secondary - the 2014 version is putrid. The pass rush is better now though, and that might be able to offset it somewhat. The key to it this year will be Flacco and the offense. If they get hot, look out.

Blog Entries

You nailed it. Its going to come down to which Flacco shows up.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...3&media-type=N

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Joe is going to have to carry the team again here...we won't have a chance if he doesn't.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I don't think its fair to compare the two, 2012 season we had some great talent, on offense we had Q, a healthy Pitta, we had the smartest center in the world, Torrey was playing lights out, Jacoby was doing more than spot duty and returns. On defense we still had the GOAT, Ed, pollard, Art Jones was balling, Pernell was balling then, Kruger was balling, we had a healthy secondary with Corey Graham; the leadership was there, everything just came together for that run at the right time. This year we lack a lot due to injuries amd somehow they overcame that, but its not really comparable to 2012, not in my eyes anyways.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I don't think its fair to compare the two, 2012 season we had some great talent, on offense we had Q, a healthy Pitta, we had the smartest center in the world, Torrey was playing lights out, Jacoby was doing more than spot duty and returns. On defense we still had the GOAT, Ed, pollard, Art Jones was balling, Pernell was balling then, Kruger was balling, we had a healthy secondary with Corey Graham; the leadership was there, everything just came together for that run at the right time. This year we lack a lot due to injuries amd somehow they overcame that, but its not really comparable to 2012, not in my eyes anyways.
    I agree. Even though it's only been two seasons, they aren't remotely similar in make up.

Blog Entries

No Ray Lewis? Ahhh no comparison.

Blog Entries

The only comparable is that they are going to need Joe Flacco to be Joe Montana again if they want to make a run.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Agreed. These two teams are different in so many different ways.
    One for instance...the 2012 version could still stand toe to toe in wars with the Steelers.
    I don't see this team being like that at all. We had a big physical Oline. And we had a dynamic RB in Rice. Our current Oline is a finesse line that has no push what so ever.
    We can't make a 3rd and one to save our lives or punch it in from inside the 5.
    This team does not scare anyone on the back end. Good QBs look forward to passing on us.
    To me, the only thing that is as good or better is our defensive front seven in that they get after the QB more and are a little better against the run.
    The 2012 defense could also play the chess match with opposing veteran QBs.
    This team lacks that in a huge way.

But Cody and Maake at NT. I think our D-line (not sure about Jernigan) is stronger this year. But I do think your assessment is pretty much right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    No Ray Lewis? Ahhh no comparison.
    And no Jimmy Smith, cory Graham, Cary Williams. All were better than current CBs.

There are vague / quirky similarities, yes, but that's as far as I am willing to go.