Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clock Mismanagement on Tucker's 2nd missed FG

Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread, but...

Was I the only one whose jaw dropped in disbelief when the Ravens got a delay of game penalty on Tucker's FG attempt in the 4th quarter? It turned a 50 yard attempt into a 55 yard attempt, which Tuck just missed when it banged off the upright. Would've been good from 50. That miss didn't cost us the game, but it easily could have. I was watching the CBS broadcast and their little game clock display, and could see they wouldn't snap the ball in time. I was screaming for someone to call a TO when it got down to three seconds. No one did. I'm still shaking my head that after all the play clock issues this team has had, they still managed to blow this. They had two time outs, why not use one?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the win and I like Harbaugh. But it's clear he and the team still have clock management issues.

Re: Clock Mismanagement on Tucker's 2nd missed FG

Watch his postgame presser. The officials took a long time getting the ball set, and when they do that, they usually reset the play clock. In this instance they didn't and it screwed the Ravens. Harbs took responsibility for not catching it and calling TO, but even so, the refs would've screwed us out of a TO.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Watch his postgame presser. The officials took a long time getting the ball set, and when they do that, they usually reset the play clock. In this instance they didn't and it screwed the Ravens. Harbs took responsibility for not catching it and calling TO, but even so, the refs would've screwed us out of a TO.
    Thanks, I didn't see the presser. That helps explain it. Still, someone needs to be aware of the play clock, even when the refs do screw it up ...because we've seen refs around the league screw it up before. And in that particular case, I'd rather burn a TO and give Tucker a better shot.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Thanks, I didn't see the presser. That helps explain it. Still, someone needs to be aware of the play clock is, even when the refs do screw it up (which has happened before).
    No argument from me there, nor from Harbs. He said it was his fault for not catching it.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Was I the only one whose jaw dropped in disbelief when the Ravens got a delay of game penalty on Tucker's FG attempt in the 4th quarter? It turned a 50 yard attempt into a 55 yard attempt, which Tuck just missed when it banged off the upright. Would've been good from 50. That miss didn't cost us the game, but it easily could have. I was watching the CBS broadcast and their little game clock display, and could see they wouldn't snap the ball in time. I was screaming for someone to call a TO when it got down to three seconds. No one did. I'm still shaking my head that after all the play clock issues this team has had, they still managed to blow this. They had two time outs, why not use one?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the win and I like Harbaugh. But it's clear he and the team still have clock management issues.
    http://forum.russellstreetreport.com...627#post861627

Kinda funny that in the Cundiff cut thread I said...

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

The five extra yards sure didn't help. But JT might have made the 50 yarder w/ plenty to spare had not his routine been disrupted. Kickers are creatures of habit; the distraction of not kicking on the first try when he'd gotten mentally set might have been enough to throw him off.

While on time management/time outs. I didn't think Harbs should've challenged the Jax fumble. I know there's no accounting for what sort of access to the replays they get [even at home] before the decision needs to be made. But I saw no fumble from the first replay on the jumbotron. The way things were looking at that point in the 2nd half, we were going to need our timeouts. We'd stopped them on downs on the play IIRC and would be getting the ball back anyway, if down field after a punt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    The five extra yards sure didn't help. But JT might have made the 50 yarder w/ plenty to spare had not his routine been disrupted. Kickers are creatures of habit; the distraction of not kicking on the first try when he'd gotten mentally set might have been enough to throw him off.
    It also could have been that the snap was subpar. It wasn't as bad as the snap on the prior miss, but it wasn't a good one. Koch did a good job to get it down, but that might have been a bit off as well.

The officiating in the NFL seems to get worse every year. It's really hard to believe in the integrity of the game when bad calls and mistakes by officials seem to constantly take points off and put points on the board.

The ravens were mentally not in sync all day and that play epitomizes how flat they were on offense and special teams.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The officiating in the NFL seems to get worse every year. It's really hard to believe in the integrity of the game when bad calls and mistakes by officials seem to constantly take points off and put points on the board.
    AGREED!!!! My buddy and I have been saying this all year. The referees have WAYYY to much impact on the game. There needs to be some sort of quality control for this officials in game. I know after the game they get graded, but who gives a fuck after the game.

The Steve Smith offensive PI call....that ONE call changed the entire complection of our season honestly. Thats probably a bad call to focus on because a lot of poster on this board think the call was right and when I looked it over I definitely could see why it was called offensive PI.....but give me a fucking break. The way the game was going...you gotta just let them figure it out.

Yesterday....the roughing the passer call leads to a Seattle TD instead of a punt. The 49ers are eliminated from the playoffs they could care less about what grade the ref got after the game.

Or that one challenge we had against the Steelers when Big Ben was CLEARLY short of the 1st down yet they still gave it to him. I dont understand how thats possible.

They need to sit down this offseason and make some real changes to the rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with the officiating seeming to be worse each year, but you'd have to think that it's due to the new rule changes each and every year and how hard some are to determine during live action. At least the NFL admitted that Hochuli got 49ers roughing the passer call wrong http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ESc

I thought the refs had to mark the ball 'ready for play' for the play clock to start?

Not at the stadium, and with TV isolating cameras on various aspects of the game, you never know what is truly happening.