Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Harb's Doghouse: Is it real or Memorex

It's talked about often but do you think, despite Harb's denials, that the doghouse exists?
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Harb's Doghouse: Is it real or Memorex

To focus the discussion, the definition has to be quantified. If the "Doghouse" is based on simply emotions and petty knee-jerk responses, then I do not believe one exists. If it based on a bar that is set for performance, practice, playing through pain, taking the job seriously, following a certain set of rules - then I would say there is some truth to that. I do believe that this entry requirement has changed over the years though, since I think that he was more rigid and had a more "juvenile" definition of what constituted a trip to the principal. Over time, I think he has shifted that level and made it more flexible. As an example, I think that his expectations for playing through pain were more stringent early on , but that it has relaxed to accommodate for veterans, work load and the grueling 16 games they face.

IMHO Harbaugh appears to be somebody who expects you to practice hard, study the film and dedicate yourself to getting better at your job. If you take plays off, dog it at practice, or do not take it seriously, I believe he will put you in the "Doghouse"; even if you could blow it up on the field on Sunday. I believe he feels that to reward lax behavior undermines the philosophy he tries to establish. I also think it is a "Special Teams" philosophy in that they are the players who have to play harder to make a team on a part that is not that flashy. If you are not able or willing to make yourself more interchangeable, then you do not see the active list. I do believe there is a "Time Out" in the Harbaugh team room.

Of course, what do I know.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    To focus the discussion, the definition has to be quantified. If the "Doghouse" is based on simply emotions and petty knee-jerk responses, then I do not believe one exists. If it based on a bar that is set for performance, practice, playing through pain, taking the job seriously, following a certain set of rules - then I would say there is some truth to that. I do believe that this entry requirement has changed over the years though, since I think that he was more rigid and had a more "juvenile" definition of what constituted a trip to the principal. Over time, I think he has shifted that level and made it more flexible. As an example, I think that his expectations for playing through pain were more stringent early on , but that it has relaxed to accommodate for veterans, work load and the grueling 16 games they face.

IMHO Harbaugh appears to be somebody who expects you to practice hard, study the film and dedicate yourself to getting better at your job. If you take plays off, dog it at practice, or do not take it seriously, I believe he will put you in the "Doghouse"; even if you could blow it up on the field on Sunday. I believe he feels that to reward lax behavior undermines the philosophy he tries to establish. I also think it is a "Special Teams" philosophy in that they are the players who have to play harder to make a team on a part that is not that flashy. If you are not able or willing to make yourself more interchangeable, then you do not see the active list. I do believe there is a "Time Out" in the Harbaugh team room.

Well said. I agree 100%

Blog Entries

Agree!

I'll add in different words.... I don't think people are sent to the doghouse for a mistake, but the mistake is the culmination trigger .... meaning Harbs "tolerates" some things until it is proven to be a detriment....
    Practice is a biggie, we have read reports of him pulling people out of practice for lack of effort ...
    I'm wondering if a fumble benching is because he doesn't see the weight room dedication ....
    you said it very well, we see "doghouse" but it is the tip of the iceberg, there are deeper reasons that Harbs being the type of person he is, is not going to air publically ... but when he sees inattention to the film room and then sees it affect play/positioning on the field, we have a doghouse shift, or even a Brownout

Doghouse is real, but it is not mean or vindictive, it is motivational and players "earn" their way in and earn their way out, as you say it is not knee-jerk or emotionally based
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Get your squirrelly ass outta here!!

Not to mention that it's often the coordinators who are deciding who is on the field or not. Harbaugh is a CEO type HC, who gives his coordinators a lot of discretion. Harbaugh certainly is involved in the overall decisions on scheme and game plan, etc, but when it comes to the nuts and bolts, that's where the coordinators are making a lot of decisions - including personnel. If a guy isn't playing, it may very well have just as much to do with the coordinator's opinion as it does with Harbaugh.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Doghouse is real, but it is not mean or vindictive, it is motivational and players "earn" their way in and earn their way out, as you say it is not knee-jerk or emotionally based
    .......and exists in every NFL cities!
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Be professional and do you job 100 %. That's all any employer asks of his employees. Harbaugh has changed the team since he arrived. Most abide by the standards set and get to show their skills on the field. The off field actions play into it somewhat, by disparaging the Raven organization, harbaugh has to be able to have say on it. He's the HC and it's his actions that determine who's in charge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well said. I agree 100%
    I concur.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post

It's talked about often but do you think, despite Harb's denials, that the doghouse exists?
    Like HARBs once said, does anyone know where the dog house is?

Just ask Pollard, Reed and Boldin. They will tell you exactly where it is and Reed is still in it although no longer here. He's retired and on TV now but should be an assistant coach. I think he said he wants to coach so he should be coaching the Ravens but hasnt been invited back. Not yet anyway. Pollard didn't even return to get his SB ring. Boldin has been complementry about the Ravens since leaving but he sure knows where the dog house is.

Tony's cartoon above is so funny. Says it all with Ngata being the current resident.

All that said, most coaches worth their salt have their dog house. Well Lombardi didn't, he just got rid of you if you looked at somebody the wrong way or made a mistake.

Shula had his and it cost him SB 3 because Unitas was still in it. He hated Unitas because John changed plays and showed him up. So when John was injured all year but was ready to start the SB, Shula said you'll start when I tell you to and he stayed in it most of the game. Shula finally pulled John out of it but too late. John led Colts to their only TD. I think Shula got rid of his dog house after that game. He learned you never start a game with your best player in the dog house.

ILMAO
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-06-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Fido, "Arf, Arf, Arf !"
    Translation = "I acknowledge your astute well-written post, and am in 100% agreement. I would add to your 'rep' but my paws get in the way. Perhaps I will ask Bc to be my agent in this matter."

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Be professional and do you job 100 %. That's all any employer asks of his employees. Harbaugh has changed the team since he arrived. Most abide by the standards set and get to show their skills on the field. The off field actions play into it somewhat, by disparaging the Raven organization, harbaugh has to be able to have say on it. He's the HC and it's his actions that determine who's in charge.
    Agree. I think the so called doghouse is as simple as this. Harbs is in charge and sets the standards the players follow.
    Coach=Manager
    Coordinator=Supervisor
    Player=Employee

Having been all 3 in my life, I've had many supervisors or managers who all had their own style. Some were tougher than others, but there is always a line you don't cross.

As a manager/supervisor, I had people work for me with the aptitude to do the job, it's just that some didn't have a work ethic to go with it. That would get my attention. Of course you don't want to always use a hammer, you want to help them modify their behaviors. But, in some cases the hammer has to fall.

Harbs may be tougher than some, I don't know. In the 6 years he's been HC I'm sure he's evolved in his style.
    Last edited by Bigfish; 12-06-2014 at 01:06 PM.