Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

A Developing Concern for The NFL...

We all hear Roger Goodell speak often about improving the fan experience during NFL games. Now don’t think for a second that the league is looking to give you a bigger bang for your buck out of the kindness of their collective heart. You know better than that.

The truth be told, the league is very concerned that you as a fan will find a greater experience from the comfort of your living room.

What if crowds begin to dwindle?

Besides the lost revenues from ticket sales, parking and concessions a less than capacity stadium is a blemish on the shield and it might send an undesirable message to sponsors who promote within stadiums.

It is a mounting concern, albeit one that they are trying to keep from the eye of the public.

Please cast your vote HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: A Developing Concern for The NFL...

Crowds haven't dwindled. There are less blackouts now than in the past. Why speculate on something that is obviously not an issue?

I enjoy games usually either at the stadium or at home. Home is increasingly becoming my prefered place to watch the games though due to the prices of tickets and overall comfortability.

I don't really like going to bars....I've often found the football intelligence there to be...well...less than what I'm used to here and at games.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I've noticed the empty seats as well. In my section our usual neighbors have sold almost their entire season on stub hub and the nfl ticket exchange. The crowds are reminding me of pre-season crowds, late arriving, early leaving and not very loud. Every game is still a sell out because the PSL holders buy a full season every year. With the waiting list, the Ravens won't face blackouts anytime soon, as there seems to be a good supply of people who want to buy PSLs.
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee

Blog Entries

This isn't an NFL specific problem. With the exception of maybe hockey, pretty much every sport is IMO more enjoyable to watch at home than in person. The leaps in technology, both from the television itself (picture quality, etc) to Sunday Ticket to Red Zone, etc, along with the outrageous pricing at stadiums, traffic, weather, all make it a better experience watching from home.

The NFL along with the other leagues are going to have to find ways to make it more appealing to come out to the stadiums in the future. It's not a big deal right now but in another ten years, I could see drawing fans out to games to be a much bigger issue. I don't know how they do that, you know they aren't going to lower prices.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Crowds haven't dwindled. There are less blackouts now than in the past. Why speculate on something that is obviously not an issue?
    Less blackouts means the tickets are sold but that doesn't mean the stadiums are full of fans paying 8.50 for beer and 9.00 for hot dogs, soaking in all the corporate sponsors. Watch a Bucs or Redskins game. No, it's not blacked out, but does it look anything close to maximum capacity?
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

This is really not too surprising to me. Face it, the product that the NFL is selling right now is not very good. Sure, there are some that might prefer high-scoring shootouts, but many of us prefer good old-fashioned defensive wars, which are becoming more and more rare. But whichever kind of game one prefers, I can guarantee no one wants one dominated with yellow flags. There are far too many strict rules now, particularly those favoring the offense.

They need to bury those flags except for obviously blatant penalties. Stopping the game every other play for a penalty is boring, time-consuming, and extremely annoying for calls that can only be seen during slow-motion replay, and even then highly subjective.

Add to that, the fact that going to see a single game is really starting to outprice the average Joe, and it's a recipe for people deciding to watch at home. Most people are willing to spend money on just about anything, as long they believe the product is worth such a high cost. It's a rather delicate balance, but that balance is starting to tip in the wrong direction. Any time one has to spend $40-$50 or more just to park their car 10 blocks from the stadium, you know things are out of balance. And that's only one of many expenses one incurs going to a game.

Blog Entries

I still like M&T over watching from home. It's only 8 games a year (10 if you include the worthless preseason games). But the cost of parking is ridiculous. My other complaint is M&T needs escalators.

Blog Entries

I've gone to less games every year. Last year I didn't go to a single game and I won't this year. My home experience is freakin awesome and with redzone, no commercials. Can't beat the food and beverage price or bathroom wait times either

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I've gone to less games every year. Last year I didn't go to a single game and I won't this year. My home experience is freakin awesome and with redzone, no commercials. Can't beat the food and beverage price or bathroom wait times either
    This! I go to the bar for a few of the games, but mostly watch at home, now. I can't really say that I miss my tickets all that much. Too much time, money, booze, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    This isn't an NFL specific problem. With the exception of maybe hockey, pretty much every sport is IMO more enjoyable to watch at home than in person. The leaps in technology, both from the television itself (picture quality, etc) to Sunday Ticket to Red Zone, etc, along with the outrageous pricing at stadiums, traffic, weather, all make it a better experience watching from home.

The NFL along with the other leagues are going to have to find ways to make it more appealing to come out to the stadiums in the future. It's not a big deal right now but in another ten years, I could see drawing fans out to games to be a much bigger issue. I don't know how they do that, you know they aren't going to lower prices.

Less blackouts means the tickets are sold but that doesn't mean the stadiums are full of fans paying 8.50 for beer and 9.00 for hot dogs, soaking in all the corporate sponsors. Watch a Bucs or Redskins game. No, it's not blacked out, but does it look anything close to maximum capacity?
    When the recession hit teams did not increase their ticket prices. Some even discounted or came up with ticket packages. Many teams also had specials on food and drink. If there is any sort of issue that hits revenue they're going to adjust like they always do.

Even Oakland is selling more tickets this year and that's with a terrible team in the leagues worst stadium. There is no point on speculating about dwindling crowds hurting the bottom line because it just isn't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When the recession hit teams did not increase their ticket prices. Some even discounted or came up with ticket packages. Many teams also had specials on food and drink. If there is any sort of issue that hits revenue they're going to adjust like they always do.

Even Oakland is selling more tickets this year and that's with a terrible team in the leagues worst stadium. There is no point on speculating about dwindling crowds hurting the bottom line because it just isn't happening.
    It's a big concern of the league's as shared with me by 1 of the big 32. It's not speculation.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

This season the crowd at M&T just hasn't been what I'm used to seeing. I've noticed more and more open seats, and the crowd noise just isn't there like in seasons past.