Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

John Harbaugh Is Right (Levine PI Penalty)

I just re-watched the Levine PI call (10 times in slow motion) that sealed it for the Chargers. What a piss poor call. Both Floyd and Levine stick their arms out at the same time. Levine keeps his arm out in a cross bar, but Floyd puts his arm on Levine's shoulder. Even Dan Fouts recognized it was a tough call because both players had their hands on each other. Should never had been called at that point in the game.

Oh well, it is what it is. On to Miami.

Blog Entries

Re: John Harbaugh Is Right (Levine PI Penalty)

Dan Fouts was saying the same thing as it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I just re-watched the Levine PI call (10 times in slow motion) that sealed it for the Chargers. What a piss poor call. Both Floyd and Levine stick their arms out at the same time. Levine keeps his arm out in a cross bar, but Floyd puts his arm on Levine's shoulder. Even Dan Fouts recognized it was a tough call because both players had their hands on each other. Should never had been called at that point in the game.

Oh well, it is what it is. On to Miami.
    I agree, and sympathize... but if it had been a no-call, it would have only prolonged the inevitable IMO. Ravens' defense couldn't stop a rock rolling uphill yesterday...

Just crying over spilled milk, refs interpretation over rides anybody else. Said last week, crucial penalties should be reviewed by NY central. Too easy for refs to determine a game with a bad call. It's been going on for years and will not stop anytime soon. The ball placement after PI in endzone shows that the Nfl is only concerned when it affect the money coming in. Games have been won or lost.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Just crying over spilled milk, refs interpretation over rides anybody else. Said last week, crucial penalties should be reviewed by NY central. Too easy for refs to determine a game with a bad call. It's been going on for years and will not stop anytime soon. The ball placement after PI in endzone shows that the Nfl is only concerned when it affect the money coming in. Games have been won or lost.
    The NFL doesn't give a shit. They are raking in the money hand over fist.

Blog Entries

If that call hadn't been made, there would have been zero time left for the Ravens offense.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If that call hadn't been made, there would have been zero time left for the Ravens offense.
    If I were to place a bet I'd wager you would be correct. But, IMO it was still a bad call which is compounded by the fact it was made in the last minute of the game. I thought the general rule was refs don't throw flags at the end of the game except for an obvious penalty. Two player fighting for position on a jump ball does not call for a flag.

But I get it. It's the inconsistent NFL that will never change and San Diego would probably have scored anyway. Just still wanted voice my opinion.

Blog Entries

We might have stopped them after that, who knows? From that distance we had a chance as long as we kept them inbounds the rest of the way.

It was not a good call, and both players were doing exactly the same. One of the rare times I can recall the DB and WR engaged in exactly the same type and degree of pushing and holding.

On the one hand, Levine has to know putting his hands on Floyd is likely to draw a flag.

On the other hand, he can't just stand there and let himself get pushed off by Floyd and hope for an OPI flag. Only Bengal defenders can get away with that in the final minute of a game .......

So what's he supposed to do there? That's the question the refs and rules committee never seem to have a clear answer for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    We might have stopped them after that, who knows? From that distance we had a chance as long as we kept them inbounds the rest of the way.

It was not a good call, and both players were doing exactly the same. One of the rare times I can recall the DB and WR engaged in exactly the same type and degree of pushing and holding.

On the one hand, Levine has to know putting his hands on Floyd is likely to draw a flag.

On the other hand, he can't just stand there and let himself get pushed off by Floyd and hope for an OPI flag. Only Bengal defenders can get away with that in the final minute of a game .......

So what's he supposed to do there? That's the question the refs and rules committee never seem to have a clear answer for.
    Exactly. The NFL really needs to get it together on these PI calls. It's interesting how we lost the Cinci game due to an offensive PI call at the end of the game and now the Charger game with a defensive PI call at the end of the game. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post

I'm sure it wouldn't get called on the Seahawks either.
    But your what are they supposed to do question is totally valid and spot on.

Was it not an "Illegal Use of Hands to the Face" by Floyd in the endzone? He stiff-armed Levine before the ball got there. Does that penalty apply in that situation?

Blog Entries

They are going to eventually have to add these calls to the replay booth. If anything the players need some latitude when a jump ball is thrown up. They should increase the allowable contact zone to 10 yards. I for one enjoy a good defensive game. These 34-33 scores suck.