Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Report (OT): Seahawks Trade Harvin to Jets for Draft Pick

I still think Vick gives them the best chance now. I don't get why they're still playing around with Geno. The guy sucks. He didn't impress at WV and that certainly isn't a school known for creating powerhouse QBs lol. Go with Vick than hit the FA market next year. I still say Campbell can play in this league. Or go after Hoyer if the Browns go the Johhny Football route, which they should. Another guy is MCCoy who I think can be good at managing a game and being a middle tier guy that won't lose you games due to inaccuracy.

Just anyone to kick the Pats off that division. Brady and Co are at their most vulnerable this year and moving forward. Miami has the best QB in that division but the rest of the team is suspect. Buffalo has the most overall talent but a complete flop at HC and front office. How do you let the best safety in the game walk? Obviously not commited to winning. Best FS in the game and their best WR they let walk. Just dumb. They deserve to be in the basement. So it's between the Jets and Phins to who knocks the Pats off the top.

Blog Entries

NFLonCBS@NFLonCBS 1h1 hour ago
    Report: Percy Harvin gave Golden Tate a black eye before Super Bowl XLVIII: http://cbsprt.co/1FhjOmY

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    My gut says it is goodbye Rex after this year (possibly a little sooner)
    He has survived the Sanchez debacle, a GM trading for Tebow, a dice roll on a questionable QB who looks like a career back-up (Geno), a GM firing and Rex is next.
    Bringing an extremely athletic head-case with limited football scheme ability (full route tree execution) .... Geno will have to improve his accuracy on the routes Harvin can run (and he didn't strike me as being that accurate on long pass)

This year Jets have tried 4 passes of 41+ yds, zero completions, 4 passes of 31+ yds, one completion, and 9 passes of 21+ yds with one completion
    that adds up to 2 completions in 17 attempts of passes 21+ yds
    Geno is a lot more accurate with the shorter passes and that needs timing/ route precision .... maybe it will work with some screens etc, but my gut is saying the Jets have added a cancer to the locker room and just depends on how soon it shows up as to how long Rex remains....
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what you're saying is that Rex Ryan has survived a lot of other people screwing the pooch around him.

The Jets have not had a QB in forever. Sanchez was garbage that rode the back of Rex's excellent defense to AFC Championship games. Yes, they seem like a long time ago, but during that whole time the GM was destroying that roster with stupid picks and wasted money.

They still don't really have a QB or any offensive weapons other than a solid #2 or very low-end #1 WR who has been hurt this year. Now they have Harvin locked up for a few more years and the best part? ALL his guaranteed money has already been paid by somebody else!

I still think Rex Ryan is a fine coach. Geno Smith sucks, but it's not like he was the #1 overall pick. If I were the GM, I go ahead and draft Marcus Mariota, Connor Cook, or Brett Hundley and give Rex another shot.

If we've learned anything these past few years it's that the grass isn't always greener with these head coaching changes. The last round of guys (Jay Gruden, Dennis Allen, Gus Bradley, etc.) all look like complete idiots. Sometimes you're better sticking with the guy you know and putting together a better team for him to coach.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I understand the remaining signing bonus which was $12 million. That's roughly equal to the base pay they aren't paying Harvin so it nets out to around 0. What I don't get is the remaining $13.5 million which gets you to the $25.5 million in guaranteed money. Where is the accelerated cap hit for that? Why do we have such a huge hit for Ray Rice who had a similar amount guaranteed money and way a year further into a deal that looks to be a year shorter? What did the Seahawks do with Harvin that the Ravens didn't do with Rice?
    This is how I understand it (which may not be correct):

When Harvin was traded to Seattle in 2013, he signed his big deal, which was over $65M, of which $25.5 was guaranteed. Apparently, Seattle paid most of that in the first year of his contract. He got it in the form of a signing bonus of $12M up front, plus his 2013 salary of around $2.5M. That left $11.5M guaranteed. He received over $4M of that this season from Seattle before he was traded, which left the Seahawks holding the bag for the remaining $7.2M, which is the hit for next year.

That might not be right, but that's how I am piecing together different news stories from this year and from the time he was traded from Minnesota.

Blog Entries

Well I had a nice response typed out. But this pos iphone5c and att shitty network lost it.

Harvin, decker, Kerley. That's a good WR core. Use Vick this year than go get Campbell or Hoyer, if they decide to go Johhny Football which they should, or even Hill, Flynn, McCown. It's pretty bad when guys like Sanchez and Tebow are/were better producing QB than you.

The Jets and Rex need a QB now that won't lose them the game Nd invest back into their D. They have the best shot at knocking the Pats off the top. Miami has the best QB but is a mess. And Buffalo doesn't even want to win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    This is how I understand it (which may not be correct):

When Harvin was traded to Seattle in 2013, he signed his big deal, which was over $65M, of which $25.5 was guaranteed. Apparently, Seattle paid most of that in the first year of his contract. He got it in the form of a signing bonus of $12M up front, plus his 2013 salary of around $2.5M. That left $11.5M guaranteed. He received over $4M of that this season from Seattle before he was traded, which left the Seahawks holding the bag for the remaining $7.2M, which is the hit for next year.

That might not be right, but that's how I am piecing together different news stories from this year and from the time he was traded from Minnesota.
    It's tough to figure out. I guess if they carried a big cap number year 1 then there wouldn't be as much of an issue after that year is over. That's not what most teams do but if they had the cap space it's possible. I remember the Redskins did a lot of free agent contracts that way several years ago. I did read that the Seahawks will have a $7.6 million cap hit next year so that's part of it too.

Blog Entries

here's more info on the pick they traded and salary implications. Not very risky for the Jets but does seem odd. Maybe they believe their a WR away ...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atl

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Makes sense. Harvin seems like a pita and Seattle made it last year without his services. Seems like a win for them. The Jets. Meh I dunno. They have Decker and Kurley. They need a QB. But adding Harvin gives them another dynamic to their aresenal.

Seattle got the one seed last year and 2 wins in the playoffs without Harvin, and Wilson plays a lot better without Harvin on the field.

Harvin has been nothing but a PIA luxury for them so I don't see any way this hurts them...other than thinking back on how they lost a first and third to the Vikings for getting him.

I thought I read somewhere that Harvin's issues go all the way back to high school...he was in so many fights, he was banned from ALL sports his senior year of high school.

As for the Jets...pure desperation. It's not going to end well for Harvin in New York, and Izdik and Rex are gone anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

In three weeks (November 9th) the Jets play the Steelers in N.J. I'm hoping Harvin has a BIG day.
    I'll be at the game with my wife's cousins, rooting for the home team... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 10-18-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I disagree on that one. It's not like Carroll is Barry Switzer and was handed a team that had won 2 Super Bowls right before he got there. It's also not coaches get lucky and just happen to win Championships if they are around long enough in the NFL. I'm sure Fox and Reid are wondering where there's are if that were the case. Pete has done a magnificent job with the Seahawks and part of that has been by admitting his mistakes. He tells everyone that he didn't want Russell Wilson but once he saw the value he dumped the QB he just spent a ton of money on in the offseason. Same with Charlie Whitehurst who he also spent money and picks on in a trade. A big part of the the success the Seahawks have had is in cutting their losses as soon as they realize they aren't losses and not playing the wrong guy because of the cost in draft picks or money.

I see your point and recognize that there are more than 1 view from the same window.
    You may be right but what I see is a 3 time 3 team HC that inherited a team that had been drafting high in the draft for yrs and had a big cap bank.....Having been laughably bad the other 2 times fell into a great situation....He's a ra ra college type coach and frankly, I see nothing special about him......I would take Reid or Fox over him everytime....
    1 lucky season does not prove greatness, but we'll see how it all shakes out.