Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What a turnaround by the Ravens OL

I know a lot of you dispute the accuracy or value of PFF's rating system (myself included), however, even the most sceptical Ravens fans have to be pleased with this article. PFF has rated every NFL offensive line through the first 6 games. Surprise...the Ravens are rated 2nd overall. They're ranked 1st in run blocking, 6th in pass blocking and 2nd in penalties. Even those that don't agree with them being ranked this high have to acknowledge the tremendous turnaround from last years debacle.

By the way, the article is not premium. Anyone can view it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ne-rankings-2/

Edit - this was through the first 5 weeks. It doesn't even include the Tampa Bay game.

Blog Entries

Re: What a turnaround by the Ravens OL

Last year a lot of us including myself was over Juan Castillo and Moeller, especially Moeller. Its amazing what a real offensive coach can do; Kubiak is the reason behind all this, his philosophy and rest of the offensive coaching staff just all gel-ed and it was instant chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Last year a lot of us including myself was over Juan Castillo and Moeller, especially Moeller. Its amazing what a real offensive coach can do; Kubiak is the reason behind all this, his philosophy and rest of the offensive coaching staff just all gel-ed and it was instant chemistry.
    Agree with you but it's also huge personnel upgrades compared to last year's unit. KO has played like a top-5 guard in the NFL, Zuttah has been at least league average, Yanda is fully healthy, and Rick Wagner has been a revelation at RT. Those are huge upgrades compared to Shipley, Gradkowski, a banged up Yanda, and Michael Oher. Each of those guys other than Yanda was a bottom-10 player at their position in 2013.

(It still boggles my mind how the Titans could have possibly paid Michael Oher good-starter level money when he's a replacement-level player at best who probably shouldn't even be starting in the NFL.)

Flacco has also made the OL look GREAT in pass blocking getting the ball out quickly and avoiding pressure when he has held it. The play-action boot game has also helped schematically. Another year of comfort in the traditional ZBS as taught by one of its masters.

It's really a perfect storm of good conditions for the OL, which IMO has been the #1 unit most responsible for the team's success thus far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    I know a lot of you dispute the accuracy or value of PFF's rating system (myself included), however, even the most sceptical Ravens fans have to be pleased with this article. PFF has rated every NFL offensive line through the first 6 games. Surprise...the Ravens are rated 2nd overall. They're ranked 1st in run blocking, 6th in pass blocking and 2nd in penalties. Even those that don't agree with them being ranked this high have to acknowledge the tremendous turnaround from last years debacle.

By the way, the article is not premium. Anyone can view it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ne-rankings-2/

Edit - this was through the first 5 weeks. It doesn't even include the Tampa Bay game.
    If they included the Tampa Bay game the scores would even be higher. Now take into account they have 2 rookies and one 2nd year new starter. Amazing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Harbaugh finally figured out that you can't have 2 guys in charge of the offensive line. He picked one, and it sure looks like the right one, and it's been great. Even with 2 rookies in there last week they still performed. That's about as good as it gets. I also completely agree with you about the effect Kubiak has had on the o-line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Agree with you but it's also huge personnel upgrades compared to last year's unit. KO has played like a top-5 guard in the NFL, Zuttah has been at least league average, Yanda is fully healthy, and Rick Wagner has been a revelation at RT. Those are huge upgrades compared to Shipley, Gradkowski, a banged up Yanda, and Michael Oher. Each of those guys other than Yanda was a bottom-10 player at their position in 2013.

(It still boggles my mind how the Titans could have possibly paid Michael Oher good-starter level money when he's a replacement-level player at best who probably shouldn't even be starting in the NFL.)

Flacco has also made the OL look GREAT in pass blocking getting the ball out quickly and avoiding pressure when he has held it. The play-action boot game has also helped schematically. Another year of comfort in the traditional ZBS as taught by one of its masters.

It's really a perfect storm of good conditions for the OL, which IMO has been the #1 unit most responsible for the team's success thus far.
    Agreed 100% Zuttah, healthy Ko, healthy Yanda and Wagner what great surprise he has been along with Monroe solid play this line is definitely one of the best in the league right now. KO and Monroe have missed a couple games and in previous years that would have crippled this offense even against some of the weakest opponents, but we had 2 rookies a late round pick and an undrafted pick and the offense minus the colts game haven't missed a beat the scheming as been like light years!

Blog Entries

Just hope the line doesn't get Indy again like in the playoffs. See Film Study's
    grades for that game.

Here's a few other nuggets from reading some of the information there...

Both Yanda (1st) and Osemele (4th) are in the top 4 of all OG in the NFL.

Zuttah is 5th among all centers.

Wagner is ranked 2nd among all RT.

There is only one starting OL on the Ravens that isn't ranked in the top 5 of their respective position (Monroe 22nd and his performance probably suffered after his injury).

The OT's combined (Monroe, Hurst and Wagner) have only given up 3 more QB hurries then Michael Oher has on his own. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

:word

Exactly how I feel.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Just hope the line doesn't get Indy again like in the playoffs. See Film Study's
    grades for that game.
    You know Flacc in previous season this would worry me because of how inconsistent the game planning and the whole schematics of the offense would be, but if its one thing we have been seeing from this new offensive regime is how they ingame adjust, the Ravens have never did that before, it was always stick to the game plan even if its not working and eventually something will give; well usually it was the Ravens offense that give. Now you see a real O coordinator making those in game adjustments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    The OT's combined (Monroe, Hurst and Wagner) have only given up 3 more QB hurries then Michael Oher has on his own. Lol
    addition by subtraction at its finest.
    -JAB

Gary. Kubiak.

His version of the WCO offense is very efficient and far easier to learn than other systems.

This has a trickle down effect and we are now seeing it from the O line.