Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

OT - Megatron or Suh?

I read an article last night saying that the Lions were going to have a tough time choosing which direction to go when it comes to re-signing Suh or Megatron. The author's theory was that Suh was more valuable and won't cost as much - comparatively - to what Megatron will likely command. He also insinuates that the Lions are seeing that they can still be successful on offense without him (Golden Tate has done well there), but their defense without Suh would be a lot worse.

Megatron has a $21 million cap hit next year (IIRC) and while it is just speculation, there is a possibility that the Lions ask him to take a paycut or be cut.

I think this would be a tough decision honestly.

Can you imagine the feeding frenzy for teams trying to land Megatron?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: OT - Megatron or Suh?

I see no way Megatron leaves Detroit. Suh is destined for NY apparently(Jets or Giants) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-in-new-york/.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I see no way Megatron leaves Detroit. Suh is destined for NY apparently(Jets or Giants) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-in-new-york/.
    I can't see him as a Jet. They've already got two studs in Wilkerson and Richardson.

The Giants are a possibility.

If it's me, you'd have an easier time replacing Suh. Just like if there was a decision: Joe or Suggs or Joe or Ngata I'd thank Suggs or Ngata for their services and tell them I'd see them at their ROH celebrations

Blog Entries

No way Megatron leaves the motor city.

If I'm the gm of the lions I am not concerned but still wary of the injuries Megatron has been dealing with for the last few years. Enough so that I would ask him for a decrease in pay.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I can't see him as a Jet. They've already got two studs in Wilkerson and Richardson.

The Giants are a possibility.
    He's also a 4-3 DT so the Giants would be a perfect fit.

As to the original question, it's very simple. Megatron is unquestionably on of the elite players at his position. That's not the case for Suh. I wouldn't even have to give it a second thought. Keep Megatron and pass on Suh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He's also a 4-3 DT so the Giants would be a perfect fit.

As to the original question, it's very simple. Megatron is unquestionably on of the elite players at his position. That's not the case for Suh. I wouldn't even have to give it a second thought. Keep Megatron and pass on Suh.
    You don't think Suh is one of the best interior DTs in the NFL?

I could understand the position that Megatron is a better receiver than Suh is a DT...but I think Suh would command quite a bit on the open market.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    If it's me, you'd have an easier time replacing Suh. Just like if there was a decision: Joe or Suggs or Joe or Ngata I'd thank Suggs or Ngata for their services and tell them I'd see them at their ROH celebrations
    I'm not sure I'm buying your analogy here. Joe? He's the QB. QB is not analogous to any other position. You get a franchise QB, you keep him. Period. Franchise WR's? They move on all the time (T.O., Moss, etc.)
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I'm not sure I'm buying your analogy here. Joe? He's the QB. QB is not analogous to any other position. You get a franchise QB, you keep him. Period. Franchise WR's? They move on all the time (T.O., Moss, etc.)
    But, to my point, what happened to the offenses they left? Vikings haven't had a passing game since he left, T.O. 9ers haven't had a passing game like they had when he was there either. The teams down the line don't factor in because their respective skills diminished when they were with the Pats and Eagles respectively.

ETA: My point is about elite players on offense being generally more difficult to replace than elite players on defense. In today's game, teams tend to go the way their offense goes.

yeah, I don't see this as a question at all. Megatron is worth AT LEAST double Suh, IMO, probably far more then that.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    But, to my point, what happened to the offenses they left? Vikings haven't had a passing game since he left, T.O. 9ers haven't had a passing game like they had when he was there either. The teams down the line don't factor in because their respective skills diminished when they were with the Pats and Eagles respectively.
    But the receivers didn't go on to win rings either. In fact, none of the top receivers in the NFL (Megatron, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Josh Gordon, Brandon Marshall) have much or any playoff success, let alone Lombardis.

WR is an overrated position, because it's in the spotlight, because they put up fantasy stats, because they score TDs. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have Megatron on my team. But I'd rather have the best LT than the best WR. I'd rather have the best DE, QB, CB, and probably DT over the best WR.

Recent Super Bowl history has shown that you can win it all without a marquee receiver.
    "Chin up, chest out."