Blog Entries

RAVENS REPORT CARD: Browns 27, Ravens 13 - (10/2)

We have just posted this week's Rearview Mirror on the main 24x7 page.

RAVENS REPORT CARD: Browns 27, Ravens 13 - (10/2)

Link to the complete article...

Link to the main 24x7 page-you won't believe how much Ravens info is there!!

This thread is created automatically by Admin Steve's RSS robots. It will remain stickied for 6 hours and then drop down. You are welcome to discuss the article right here on the 24x7 Message Boards. In this very thread if you want.

GO RAVENS!

Re: RAVENS REPORT CARD: Browns 27, Ravens 13 - (10/2)

Tony. Love you man, but wow.

You rake McNair over the coals, rightly so, and then gave him a C-??? You also were incorrect about this:

McNair was fortunate not to have been intercepted in the third for a pick six when CB Daven Holly jumped a slant route to Mark Clayton who may have quit on the route or read it differently than his quarterback.
    Clayton ran the route just fine, and didn't give up on it. McNair's throw was so far BEHIND Clayton that he actually threw it AT Daven Holly!

You gave the defensive line a C-?? Dwan Edwards gets one tackle (his first in 2 games), gets zero pressure on the QB, and gets/assists with zero sacks!

Erf man. Erf.

Tony,

Your grades were far too generous. I think Mike Preson's grades this week are much more in line with the performance of the team. After all this wasn't the Colts we played, these were the Cleveland (the basement dwellers of the AFC North--2006) Browns.

Thumbs down Re: RAVENS REPORT CARD: Browns 27, Ravens 13 - (10/2)

What have you been smoking, Tony?

DL: with no sacks, little pressure = F

QB: three limpwristed incompletions to open receivers in the end zone, all shallow passes all day that my grandmother could have thrown, insensitive to play clock or game clock & in a daze (drunk?) = F

Coaching -- is there a grade below F?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Wow -- tough crowd, huh Tony?

Mista T, I realize the DL did zilch in pressuring the QB, but they did play well against the run, for the most part, so I think an F would be a tad too harsh.
    I would give them a below average grade but not an F.

However, I tend to agree that the rating for McNair might have been a bit kind. He didn't play as well as his stats. I know that both he and Billick say he's healthy, but he sure didn't look like it.

I'm still confused over the coaching part of this, because I don't even completely understand what's going on so far this season.

No worries...it's an opinion just like yours. We might disagree and that's ok...discussions and friendly debates like these are what message boards like this are for.

I know that Mike does his report card immediately after the game. I also know first hand that they don't always have access to replays of every play in the press box and given the time constraints placed upon Mike, he has to go with his notes taken during the game, again oftentimes without the benefit of replay.

After watching the game live and being a fan like all of you, friends of mine suggested that my grading should be easy for that game. In other words, nothing but F's. And initially I felt much like all of you.

However, when I watched the DVR of the game the next day without the angst and emotion I felt while watching the game live I believe that I could more objectively assess the performances. I don't take into account who the Ravens are playing. I just assess the performance.

And while I thought McNair played poorly, he did move the ball well at times. So like a student that may have aced the easy quizzes early in the semester but flunked the big exam, McNair's performance outside of the red zone lifted his score to a C- IMO. The same with the D-line which did a nice job at times against the run.