Blog Entries

The Even Undervalued Darren Sproles.

I don't know what it is about these NFL Front Offices or Coaching staffs that can't seem to pull their collective head out of their ass, but in a league that has seen Steve Smith, Dwight Freeney and Drew Brees, it is mind boggling to me that Darren Sproles continues to have to venture from team to team, because of front offices undervaluing what he means to an offense.

Philip Rivers must have broken every piece of furniture in his living room when he found out that the team wouldn't bring back Darren Sproles. In other words, PAY THE MAN WHAT HE WAS WORTH. If he didn't, then he certainly did after experiencing first hand how bad the offense was without him.

Of course, Sproles goes to New Orleans to be a part of another light show, ONLY TO SEE NEW ORLEANS MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE.

Now, he's in Philadelphia, a part of yet another light show, while New Orleans struggles on offense.

The link below isn't intended to be the purpose of this thread. It simply reminded me of a thread that I have been wanting to start and provided sprinkles on top.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...orleans-saints
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: The Even Undervalued Darren Sproles.

Pretty sure all those teams had cap issues. Its not like they said "hes not a good player, we can get rid of him". It was more like Ozzies "right player, right price" and the price was just too much for them to even consider. If todays NFL proves anything, its that you can get production from RBs without spending. Just look at us.

Hes a good player, but certainly replaceable. I mean theres a reason hell go off one game and then have a bunch in a row where he does squat. Hes easily contained when the gameplan calls for it.

Also, when did Darren Sproles wear a Ravens uniform?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

That's just it though. Neither team has replaced him. New Orleans now going through the same issue San Diego went through. He was their x-factor. He is what connected the run, pass and special teams. Even when he was not productive he opened up the offense for others.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    That's just it though. Neither team has replaced him. New Orleans now going through the same issue San Diego went through. He was their x-factor. He is what connected the run, pass and special teams. Even when he was not productive he opened up the offense for others.
    Danny Woodhead replaced him in San Diego. Saints drafted Cooks to take over what Sproles was giving them.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Everywhere he has left, they've tried to replace him and failed. He's just a unique talent

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

He is like the Ray Lewis rule, he makes everyone around him better. Not in the same way, but you have to fear him so much it opens up things for others on offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Everywhere he has left, they've tried to replace him and failed. He's just a unique talent
    Unique is his issue. The offense really needs to be adjusted to fit the player. You can see the same issues with Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush and Dexter McCluster. All those guys have ended up on different teams because they require the offense to adjust to what they can do.

Unique is not the same as irreplaceable.

San Diego is doing fine without Sproles. We're doing fine without Rice. Both of those guys were incredibly unique and valuable to their teams, but they're not the only way to gain yardage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Danny Woodhead replaced him in San Diego. Saints drafted Cooks to take over what Sproles was giving them.
    Woodhead is injury prone and hasn't come close to that level of production. I'll reserve judgment on Cooks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Unique is not the same as irreplaceable.

San Diego is doing fine without Sproles. We're doing fine without Rice. Both of those guys were incredibly unique and valuable to their teams, but they're not the only way to gain yardage.
    Truth

the one factor that hasn't been factored in is the cap risks, dead money
    Sproles has $5.5mil guaranteed
    To quote Brian McFarland
    while the Ravens only have to count this year’s bonus proration of $4.75M against the Cap in 2014, the remaining $9.5M would hit against their 2015 Cap. This is the “dead money” and there’s nothing they can do about it.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...s&client=opera

Yes, unique talents, yes have to design the O to take advantage of that uniqueness, but the risk of committing big dollars to a replaceable (but not unique) roster spot will become more apparent as the Ravens scramble financially next year and the Saints/Chargers can spend in ways we can't.

Arguably, a great QB can be considered much more irreplaceable but a RB can be replaced if the O is not totally dependent on him (like we were with Jamal Lewis and tanked with his knee)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Woodhead is injury prone and hasn't come close to that level of production. I'll reserve judgment on Cooks.
    Well besides this year being the first time hes been injured youre also ignoring his production. Woodheads season last year would be sproles 2nd best of his career. Only season he was better was 2011 (1300 Total Yards to woodheads 1100). He absolutely filled that role. He even returned kicks for them. Literally the exact same role and almost identical production.

Cooks is yet to be seen but showing very similar explosiveness. Working out of the slot like sproles did a large percentage in NO i dont see much difference other than position. Their role is very similar already.
    -JAB