Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

If Will Hill works out can we groom Brooks into a Corner, perhaps slot corner.

He played some corner in college I think and does run a 4.4. If Hill comes in an becomes the difference maker I know he can be, what to do with brooks. Some people were already talking about taking the risk and getting Hill on something beyond the 1 season contract. I think Brooks will be able to play in this league, can we find a spot for him?

One of his pre draft scouting reports did refer him as a Swiss army knife DB.
    Last edited by alienstar; 09-29-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: If Will Hill works out can we groom Brooks into a Corner, perhaps slot corner.

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    He played some corner in college I think and does run a 4.4. If Hill comes in an becomes the difference maker I know he can be, what to do with brooks. Some people were already talking about taking the risk and getting Hill on something beyond the 1 season contract. I think Brooks will be able to play in this league, can we find a spot for him?
    If Will Hill comes in and plays like he did for the Giants, then Brooks will sit. I don't know if Brooks can play corner, but every team needs depth. Just look at Monroe going down and Hurst taking his place (temporarily). I just never like playing guys out of position... Bc

Blog Entries

Re: If Will Hill works out can we groom Brooks into a Corner, perhaps slot corner.

I don't know much about football, but IIRC there's a helluva lot more to playing CB in the NFL than speed. Brooks might be serviceable at corner in times when the pickin' are slim (e.g., until Webbie is back to form) but I don't think that's where he belongs permanently.

And keep in mind that if Hill shows any signs of having mended his ways in the last 10 games of this season, the team's 2015 cap situation will make it impossible to re-sign him anyway. Think of him as a low-risk-high-reward 1-year rental, because that's all he is.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Pre draft scouting reports called Brooks a swiiss army knife DB and he did play corner in college. Hope Hill is more than a rental.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    Pre draft scouting reports called Brooks a swiiss army knife DB and he did play corner in college. Hope Hill is more than a rental.
    "swiss army knife" = jack of all trades, master of none... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    And keep in mind that if Hill shows any signs of having mended his ways in the last 10 games of this season, the team's 2015 cap situation will make it impossible to re-sign him anyway. Think of him as a low-risk-high-reward 1-year rental, because that's all he is.
    If we get the Will Hill of last year with his off the field issues straightened out, then I'd be of the mind to let go some high priced players to sign him to a long term contract. He was a top 10 FS and can be a vital cog in our secondary for a while.

Plus I doubt his price would be that high, since teams would be scared off because of his previous issues with the law and how he'd be done for a year with the next positive test.

Blog Entries

I'm going to go ahead and say no.

I know Brooks has experience as a corner and he wasn't terrible at corner in college, but I think his range and ball skills lend themselves more to a safety than slot corner.

Webb should really be playing slot right now, but clearly he's injured.

Their depth at corner is really poor right now, which is why they've got Elam playing nickel corner in a lot of packages. Elam isn't great in coverage at all, but he is the lesser of however many evils right now I suppose.

I will say that I'd rather see them bring Brooks in for nickel duty if they're intent on having a safety play that role. Leave Elam back at SS exclusively.

Honestly, I think this D will be so much more improved when we get Will Hill back there because he'll push Darian Stewart to the bench.

Elam is bad, but Stewart is worse...and that's saying something IMO.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    "swiss army knife" = jack of all trades, master of none... Bc
    Day one draft talent still. fwiw

Blog Entries

I can't see Brooks being able to CB on a NFL level.

Even if Hill plays well I can't see him being a priority Free Agent or getting too much money. The Ravens would like to re-sign Torrey and Tucker, and looking at the way Jimmy and Kelechi are playing they won't come cheap either.

I'm pretty sure Will Hill is a RFA next year, which allows us to retain him another year for cheap. Also, I don't see why Brooks couldn't develop into a corner. Webb was a college safety too.

Blog Entries

If Hill plays up to the hype he'll get a long term deal. We still have Brooks cheap as insurance. Don't know about him playing CB. My guess is we double dip there next draft with some pretty high draft picks. Webb keeps this up or doesn't seriously prove himself he'll find himself restructured or gone next year.