Extremely excited about Will Hill getting on the field. Also some interesting info on Hill and a few questions.

I sort of got off topic with this on another thread so I am starting a new one. I have been doing some research and film study on our soon to be Free Safety, Will Hill. Maybe some of you folks already know much of this but I can say I was pretty stunned about this prospective player. Under Hill's suspension I know he was allowed to practice with the team in camp and preseason (at least according to ESPN when news broke of the suspension). I was wondering a couple things.

Firstly, now that it is regular season, to what extent does Hill get to participate in any Ravens activities. Is he allowed to attend meetings etc. use the Ravens facilities?

Plus, did anyone witness him practicing with the Ravens this past summer? If so, any impressions.

After spending some time 'scouting' Mr. Hill, I absolutely can't wait for him to get out there. If he finally gets scared about his career enough to get his head straight, Ozzy will have struck gold. I know that is a big 'If'. Yet the upside seems off the charts. He is 24 years old. By many accounts from his high school days on up, he was often the best player on the field. He got into so much trouble that he went undrafted, but talent wise, off the charts. He is to Defense what Josh Gordon (also AFC North) is to Offense. Impact players, that if they get their life together, multiple pro bowls are within reach. This season he will be playing for around $570k, so a low risk. He has got to get it in mind, serious fame riches could be awaiting him. He is still young enough to right the ship and be a worthwhile investment. A 6'1 210 pound true Free Safety with good hands, runs in the 4.6 range, but plays faster in pads type of guy and moves like a cheetah in traffic, hard to block in run/screen support. Impressive size for a DB (great length - 32" arms, about same as Jimmy Smith 32 1/4 and Richard Sherman 32), Bench Press 225 30x (Matt Elam was 18x, Jimmy Smith 24x), hard hitter, sure tackler, instinctive with ball skills, flys to the ball. We could use that. Some plays from last year:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrAHGHA_1WE
    There is one play in there (Giants were playing Redskins) very reminiscent of the famous play when Ray Lewis ripped the ball away from Titans Eddie George. Dude looks strong. (note: I'm not certain if the bench press of 30x is official, that to me seems pretty outrageous for a DB, I think a youtube video shows him doing it, not a combine report).

So exactly how good is this guy as a player? Some of the Football media outlets (PFF being one them, can't recall the others but there were at least 2 or 3 that were referenced on Giants forums), had Hill grade out as the #1 or #2 safety in the league last year. The #1 or #2 safety, What ?? I am amazed by that, as I didn't see him featured on ESPN very often nor was he on the NFL Network's top 100 players list. An ESPN Article (search espn will hill), did describe him as one of the top 'play making' safeties in the league last year. The Giants also have Antrel Rolle (a top 100 guy), so with Hill being rather young, I guess he was overshadowed a bit by that and the off the field issues. Even when Hill was suspended for a third failed drug test this spring, an astonishing 81% polled of a major Giants forum (bigblueview.com) basically begged the club to not let him go. For the most part fans were crestfallen about having him leave the team.

Frequently I read posts that suggested if he grows up a bit, you are getting a safety that will see anywhere from 8 to 10 pro bowls in his career. Some pretty heavy stuff indeed, but these sentiments were so often alluded to that it just couldn't be ignored. He was viewed to be THAT special to consider taking more chances with him. Many of the forum members and members of the New York press actually considered him to be the best player on the entire team. The entire team! Three drug suspensions (Weed twice and Adderall once). Yet even after all of that...... "Help him grow up and keep him at all costs" was the general feelings of the fan base. Pretty amazing responses during a time of the NFL being in disarray regarding off field behaviors. Besides being a great player, there were also other reasons that apparently swayed the Giant faithful to continue to support him. He was generally considered to be a very good teammate, showed a lot of leadership (if that makes any sense), and passion in motivating his defensive buddies, making other players around him better. He was widely considered by his team mates as a guy who made the game fun while at the same time bringing an explosive brand of playmaking football. He also apparently suffers from some anxiety issues and claimed that weed was the only drug that helped without side effects (certainly not without consequences though). Plenty of doctors will attest that it is certainly a less dangerous substance than addictive benzodiazepines and the side effects of other psychoactive drugs. Of course, it all might just be his excuse for catching a buzz. Whatever; god I just hope this guy can make the changes necessary. I mean the tone of the players around him, those that watch the Giants every Sunday and even Football media outlets are basically saying that a superstar career could be a stake here. The dude is supposed to be that good. I'm not going to crown him yet by any means but we might just have found our heir apparent to the great Ed Reed. Someone that might actually to be able to fill Ed's shoes at least partly. Can you imagine that. I think this is exciting stuff. Help bring some more super bowls during the Flacco Era.

Blog Entries

Re: Extremely excited about Will Hill getting on the field. Also some interesting info on Hill and a few questions.

Looks like he could help the poor tackling in the secondary, seems to understand the terms "wrap up".

Side note, looks like T Sizzle has some "Bernie" dance competition.

Re: Extremely excited about Will Hill getting on the field. Also some interesting info on Hill and a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post
    Looks like he could help the poor tackling in the secondary, seems to understand the terms "wrap up".

Side note, looks like T Sizzle has some "Bernie" dance competition.
    I laughed when I first saw him do his dance. I'm excited for his return to the field.

Wow it will be refreshing to see someone who tackles by hitting hard AND wrapping up the ball carrier.