Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFL returning to LA?

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/busi...-teams-n196921

speculation; Rams (or Raiders) might return to LA, with privately owned stadia.

"Billionaires Phil Anschutz and Edward Roski — part owners of the L.A. Lakers and L.A. Kings — each have large swaths of land, blueprints and municipal backing to build privately financed football stadiums. Anschutz’s proposed Farmers Field would arise in downtown L.A., and Roski’s planned Los Angeles Stadium would be constructed 15 minutes from Disneyland. Meanwhile, Rams owner Stan Kroenke recently purchased a 60-acre lot near Hollywood Park, a possible site for yet another NFL stadium in the L.A. suburbs."

San Antonio also looking for a team
    http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...dustry+Sports)

I think the NFL is, or will be, a sort of musical chairs with 32 franchises in 33-34 cities. If the Rams go to LA, St Louis will steal the Vikings, who will land the Bengals, etc etc, so there will always be a city or two without a team.
    (people in our area can identify with...)

I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams back in LA, and I wonder if San Antonio wouldn't be a better choice for the Raiders (Oakland is not a four-star city).
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Re: NFL returning to LA?

I thought Mark Davis and Oakland were negotiating for a new stadium?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I hate team movement but the Jaguars need to move, that city does not support that team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I hate team movement but the Jaguars need to move, that city does not support that team.
    I totally agree.

I think a lot of owners are hesitant with moving a team to LA though. California has 3 teams already and IIRC, LA wasn't really a very good market despite the population.

I'm still of the mind that Oklahoma City could be a great location for an NFL team.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I would agree, OKC would probably sell more tickets than LA. But the TV market is another matter, and the networks want an LA team.

I think the Rams will play in LA next year. Owner Stan Kreonke purchased 80 acres near Hollywood Park, there is a deal for a privately financed stadium and offers of a temporary home field from the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl. The Coliseum said they won't get free rent. The Rams are the 32nd most valuable team in the NFL, merely moving there will put them at least in the top 5. I think the Chargers will get new stadium in San Diego.

Tagliabue.

What a moron.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I totally agree.

I think a lot of owners are hesitant with moving a team to LA though. California has 3 teams already and IIRC, LA wasn't really a very good market despite the population.

I'm still of the mind that Oklahoma City could be a great location for an NFL team.
    Some time ago when somebody was talking about reviving the old USFL concept (not the league itself, just the idea) the thought was they would play in summer, and put teams in big college towns and play in their ginormous (and seldom used) stadiums. Places like Tuscaloosa Alabama, Norman Oklahoma, Tallahassee, Baton Rouge, Knoxville, etc. All have rabid college football fanbases, huge stadiums, first class training facilities, etc. I thought it was a brilliant idea, but it never went anywhere. So the point is: absolutely, OKC and cities of that nature would probably kill it with an NFL team over what we might think of as a more worldly city like Los Angeles.

I work in Jax all the time and attend a game here and there. I got a call at 9 PM from their ticket office on Monday night asking if I wanted to buy Colts tickets at a 20% discount. The Colts game just happens to be their home opener. LOL! Imagine a Ravens ticket person cold calling people at 9 PM. Mind boggling.

Blog Entries

It's the same speculation we've had for a decade until someone actually builds a stadium in LA. The NFL has proven they don't need to be in LA so the league isn't financing any stadiums.

Blog Entries

Greg, CY and I have been to many games in JAX and they cover large sections of
    the upper deck so it doesn't look bad on TV and they won't get a TV black out. The Nests took a boat ride after one game and the DJ said the Jags will be in LA and
    that was 9 years ago. I'm surprised they're still there. Weaver didn't move the
    team but he sold it after that. He couldn't wait to get out.

It's a truck stop and the old Gator Bowl. Tags chose that ancient stadium over
    ours just to keep Bmore out of the league. The NFL got what it deserved.

I'll say one thing, JAX beach is one of the best kept secrets on the East Coast,
    a small but beautiful beach with good restaurants.

I first met Mista T and Greg there. It was my first road game back in 98 and
    I was by myself since the Nests didn't go. I got there on Wed and came in
    from the beach oN Fri around 3 pm and the hotel was completely taken over
    by the Roosts of Glen Burnie and Annapolis West. T's room was next to mine
    and he walked out and we started talking. He knew my handle from an
    original Ravens board RavensTalk.com, so we knew each other from the
    board and we traveled all over the country together for the next decade.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 09-10-2014 at 10:52 PM.

I agree. The LA Jags.