Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens Sign Jamell Fleming to PS

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...0-cafc9de6f14c

2012 3rd rounder from the Cardinals.

I think if were using the PS as a farm team so to speak its a great choice. A young guy with that many games under his belt should be able to be promoted at the drop of a hat. That said, I know nothing about his 23 games and why hes on his 3rd team in as many years.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Sign Jamell Fleming to PS

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...ing?id=2532839

Fleming has played at a high level for the past four years and projects to start early at the next level as a second-round selection.

Strengths
    Fleming is superb in man coverage. He is reliable on an island and showed he could stay with any receiver in the Big 12. He is not technically sound, but his backpedal and hips are naturally fluid. He can backpedal for long stretches, even by NFL standards, which allows him to stay on top of receivers and plant, drive and react to plays. He has the speed to catch up to receivers if beat and the ability to run down plays from the backside or provide help in zone. He makes the play every time as a tackler, and he can drive through his hips to deliver a blow to a ball carrier. When the ball is in the air he has the body control to turn and make a play on it. He is thick for the corner position and it is apparent that he understands his role in the run game. He is a prototypical athlete for the position.

Weaknesses
    Fleming is not technically sound, but it hasn't hurt him up to this point. At the next level, he will need to work on his technique when using his hands and feet to jam receivers and turn at the line of scrimmage. He can be undisciplined in various aspects of his play, but it usually hurts him more in zone coverage than it does in man, where he is a natural cover corner.
    Sounds like he may be a good fit for us as a man cover corner.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

And with the new rules, isn't that "...when using his hands and feet to jam receivers..." part pretty-much moot now anyway?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VaRaven View Post
    And with the new rules, isn't that "...when using his hands and feet to jam receivers..." part pretty-much moot now anyway?
    I heard an official describing this last night. He said the defender can jam within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage but if it's 2 yards or more, it's a penalty and they will call it.
    Also even within 1 yard if he jams the receiver and the receiver then misdirects so that the defender loses contact briefly, they can't jam him again even within 1 yard. (hope that makes sense).

Conversely, the WR can't put his hands on the defender past 5 yards downfield.

I find this new focus on these rules interesting and also noted that Seattle is the only team to not have a defensive PI type call this preseason. That first game against Green Bay could be telling.

sorry for the OT

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

I too had pulled up the combine report on him and noted the same thing about him being a boundary cover corner, but a guy who may struggle in the slot and zone coverage.

It's interesting to read their projection of him--a grade of 83.5 puts him in the "perennial pro bowl" category.

Clearly something happened on the way to the ball.

He seems fairly comparable to Chykie Brown. Both are tall, strong, fast corners who were technically iffy when they came out. Chykie can run with anyone but still has trouble locating the ball. It sounds like Flemming is a lot more athletic -- moves better. The Ravens do like big corners who can play single coverage on the outside, jam and run with receivers.

He would also compare similarly to Cary Williams.

Not a bad guy to try to develop.

Ravens staff always looking for players to make the team. Good reason why the Ravens continue to be thought of highly in the league. Not many players will turn down the chance to play for the Ravens, if they do, it's due to a better money offer.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Ravens staff always looking for players to make the team. Good reason why the Ravens continue to be thought of highly in the league. Not many players will turn down the chance to play for the Ravens, if they do, it's due to a better money offer.
    He seems to fit a similar profile to D. Cox. DB with relative promise who for whatever reason didn't perform well the last year or so. Maybe Spags sees something in these guys that he can work with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    Maybe Spags sees something in these guys that he can work with.
    I hope whoever saw something was the same person who saw something in Jim Leonhard, Corey Graham, Cary Williams,
    well maybe Spags has insight also he was hired on May 3, 2013 and we signed Daryl Smith on June 5, 2013.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

I like it.

He was a good player in college. Nice upside if he can develop.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I heard an official describing this last night. He said the defender can jam within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage but if it's 2 yards or more, it's a penalty and they will call it.
    Also even within 1 yard if he jams the receiver and the receiver then misdirects so that the defender loses contact briefly, they can't jam him again even within 1 yard. (hope that makes sense).

Conversely, the WR can't put his hands on the defender past 5 yards downfield.

I find this new focus on these rules interesting and also noted that Seattle is the only team to not have a defensive PI type call this preseason. That first game against Green Bay could be telling.

sorry for the OT
    they got rid of the 5 yard contact rule? I thought they made a point to enforce the rule stricter not remove it all together.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Im half remembering this guy. I dont think I was as high on him as NFL.com clearly was but thats not to say he cant be a player. it sounds like hes a lot better at locating the ball than Chykie so if thats the comparison Id say hes an instant upgrade, which ill gladly take.
    -JAB