Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tough Roster to Cut

There are some NFL caliber players who won't make this team. And, putting together a roster given the injuries at DB (Smith, Webb, Asa) & DL (Urban, Kapron L-M, Cody for what he's worth) has to be a set of really hard choices.

OL - Jensen, Gradkowski, Shipley - one or more of them could be gone to keep Hurst as a backup LT. If Monroe gets hurt, he may be our best option. Urschel - we keep draft picks. Jah Reid??? Is he going to slide onto the roster?

DL/LB - Do we only keep 4-5 guys & supplement w/McPhee & Simon to keep extra LB? Do we cut Bynes, McLelland, Simon?

DB - Trawick, Miles, Levine, Cox - only 1 of that group might make it.

WR - Deonte, Campanaro, Aiken, Butler are all NFL WRs & only 1 or 2 may make the team.

How many of these guys can slip to the practice squad, which is now up to 10 players? Does Ozzie package a surplus WR & LB or OL for a surplus CB/DL?

The next 24 hours is where Ozzie is going to earn his salary. Guys 45-53 can be hugely impactful over a 16 game season, hopefully 19-20 counting playoffs & SB.

Blog Entries

Re: Tough Roster to Cut

It's a great sign when the roster cuts are tough.

Pretty sure I saw a few guys get injured last night. Cough, cough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    Pretty sure I saw a few guys get injured last night. Cough, cough.
    IR with a hang nail

I cut Reid and Shipley.
    Keep Simon.
    Keep Campnaro because I think they can become better players with more NFL experience.
    Not too worried about the others because I think we have seen their peak as end of the roster talent, so I'd keep the guys there who I think can get better.

Reid and Shipley both make it. Stop kidding yourselves. The two are clearly the top backups at their respective positions. Stop letting personal hate guide your thoughts and actually realize the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    Reid and Shipley both make it. Stop kidding yourselves. The two are clearly the top backups at their respective positions. Stop letting personal hate guide your thoughts and actually realize the situation.
    Personal hate? Where does that come from? Reid has never shown any type of consistency, or desire. He seems to be an example of a guy who just plays for a paycheck and doesn't really care all that much about the game. Shipley is well, just not that good. And you can pull in another teams cuts that would be better. Better to give his spot to someone who could get better.

I'm interested to see whats going to happen with the backup QB situation. I don't see the Ravens carrying 3 QB's, theres simply no need to. That being said, I'm more in favor in giving the backup job to Wenning. Tyrod Taylor is what he is. Wenning's throws last night looked good, he has some promise.

Reid and Shipley both make it. Stop kidding yourselves. The two are clearly the top backups at their respective positions.
    Clearly you say? Not hardly.

Reid, Simon, Campanaro are in. McClellan is probably out. Thompson, maybe a trade if they also want to protect Aiken. I don't think they keep both due to the spots they need on D due to injuries.

Jensen is toast. Even if he wasn't before last night, he punched his ticket home with that performance.

Wenning - again, they rarely cut draft picks in Year 1, but do they have room for 3 QB's? He's not ready if Joe goes down, but he seems to have more potential than Tyrod.

I don't remember a year with as many choices between guys who can play at this level. The staff will be earning their pay this weekend.
    Last edited by moose10101; 08-29-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Which one are you related to?

Blog Entries

Just my usually-slightly-informed opinion, but:

Reid sticks--they have no one else to back up Wagner. (IMO they really don't want to have to shift KO or Yanda out there & weaken two OL position at once.)

T-Rex is going the way of the dinosaurs. IMO he hasn't done anything to separate himself from a guy like Urschel in the preseason. The fact that he hasn't taken a single snap at center means that Gino will stick as the backup. If Oz got an offer of a conditional 7th for him he'd jump across the desk to take it.

Originally I thought Jensen would stick while Urschel came down with the infamous Compound Hangnail & earned himself a redshirt year. Now I'm inclined to flip the two--if they don't release Jensen outright. They kept him on the 53-man all last year so he could practice with the team but he seems to have regressed. SMH...

Final OL: starters plus Hurst, Reid, Gino, Urschel.

Simon makes it. Cox makes it. One of the backup safeties (Miles, Trawick, Levine) doesn't. I'm not sure but I have a feeling they essentially play the same position(s) on ST, & comparing the return teams last night with previous weeks, that's probably what will determine it.

They'll stick with the 5 DLmen & have McPhee and/or Upshaw get their hands into the dirt upon occasion.

Oz is even as we post burning up the airwaves dangling Deonte in front of teams in need of WRs. If he get no bites he has a real problem between DT & Aiken. Butler is going to the PS.

Again, JMO.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!