I've often wondered why teams trade for a starting pitcher at the trade deadline. The starter will probably get about 10 to 12 starts depending on when the trade is made. If you are a winning ballclub you are winning 50 - 60 percent of your games. Therefore you're probably going to win 5 - 7 of the games the new starter pitches anyway. My belief is that this better starter will get you 2 extra wins in those final two months if he is effective.

What makes Detroit and Oakland's trades so much worse this year is that they both gave up everyday, starting position players to get those pitchers who will pitch once every 5 days or so. These guys may have helped you win a couple of games with their bats, so without them they negate the 2 extra wins the starters will give you. For me, that is not a good trade value.

Now, contrast that with what the Orioles did. They traded for a relief pitcher, who could pitch 3 - 4 times per week if need be. He is involved in more games for the rest of the season. Also, they gave up a prospect, not an everyday player in the trade. I just think this was a smarter move.