Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PTI Topic

PTI Topic

Wow ... we actually got props on PTI!

They discussed using Boller as a "closer" for the later part of the game. I usually dont like Korny, but he made some valid points about giving time to Boller as a means of possibly carrying the torch once Steve goes out to pasture -- and if he cant fix his bum wee wee area, that may happen very soon!

.... and what was even more shocking was that Wilbon agreed!

Re: PTI Topic

I was just about to post about this too -- the topic was whether a two-QB system could work, using the Ravens and Cardinals as examples, since they both did it last week and indicated it could happen again. The comments by Kornhole and Wilbon were almost exclusively directed at the Ravens, not the Cardinals, and to my surprise, they both thought it was a good idea because (1) they think McNair is not completely healthy and it makes sense to save him for the games that count later in the season, and (2) Boller has played well when he's been in there.

I admit I was surprised, especially since Wilbon had recently written a column for the Post in which he tore Boller a new one. I guess he's changed his mind.

3. Re: PTI Topic

Wilbon agreed? That is not what I heard. He grudgingly agreed with Tony if McNair is hurt.I watched ATH and PTI and 5 out of 6 people said it was a terrible idea. They mentioned 2 guys does nothing but split the locker room and the fan base.
    btw- It is a terrible idea. It has never worked.(Note: This is a different argument if McNair is injured or gets injured. But who knows what the truth is. Mcnair says he is healthy, and I don't believe a word Billick says)

And it is really a terrible idea for the Cardinals. If you want to win now, start Warner. If not, let your QB of the future take his lumps.

This is BB being cutesy. Remember when he was going to go to the playoffs with a rookie?

Quote Originally Posted by BertJonesMyHero View Post
    Wilbon agreed? That is not what I heard. He grudgingly agreed with Tony if McNair is hurt.I watched ATH and PTI and 5 out of 6 people said it was a terrible idea. They mentioned 2 guys does nothing but split the locker room and the fan base.
    btw- It is a terrible idea. It has never worked.(Note: This is a different argument if McNair is injured or gets injured. But who knows what the truth is. Mcnair says he is healthy, and I don't believe a word Billick says)

And it is really a terrible idea for the Cardinals. If you want to win now, start Warner. If not, let your QB of the future take his lumps.

This is BB being cutesy. Remember when he was going to go to the playoffs with a rookie?
    Jesus, did Billick shit in your Wheaties when you were a kid?

This self-sescribed "terrible idea" that has "never worked" ... what league to do you watch? This "terrible idea" has been tried twice in Ravens history and has given us 2 wins. (and almost worked for the Cards when they did it Sunday!). Also, I seem to recall a couple of QB's on the west coast that tried this once before -- they were Steve Young and Joe Montana -- maybe you've heard of them?

Certainly McBoller (dont steal that, Im applying for a patent of that phrase) isnt as good as the two 49er hall of famers. However, the tactic of using both QB's does have success in rearing young QB's.

What past team / evidence shows this does not work?

Quote Originally Posted by BertJonesMyHero
    Wilbon agreed? That is not what I heard. He grudgingly agreed with Tony if McNair is hurt.
    Um, Bert, I think that is what I wrote. If McNair isn't healthy, then it's a good idea.

BTW, I'm not a proponent of a two QB system either, under ordinary circumstances, but if McNair's not totally healthy, then I have no problem with having Boller give him a breather.

I agree with you that it's seems like a bad idea for the Cardinals -- that's a different situation (which the PTI guys really didn't discuss). If Warner gives them a better chance to win now, why not start Warner? Lienart is only in his second year, he doesn't have to start now.

6. Re: PTI Topic

I'm not going to get into a pissing match- But the 2 QB shuffle has never worked in the NFL. Replacing a QB is not the same as shuffling them.

And please with that Young and Montana nonsense. Whenever Young played, it was because Montana was hurting. He won his ring after Joe moved on.

Another reason this is typical BB non sense is because if he really felt this way, why didn't he continue using Cunningham when Grabass was stinking up the joint?

Look- I 'm just pointing out that 5 of the 6 in the above mentioned shows thought it was a bad idea. You pick the one objector and posted it to back up your point. I was just pointing out the other side.

This isn't even a Boller v McNair thing with me. If McNair is hurt, start Boller. If McNair is healthy, re affirm he is the teams QB. If Steve gets hurt, bring in Boller. It's really pretty simple. As discombobulated as this season has been so far, the last thing we need is a screwing we the QB carousel.

(McBoller-Here is 5 cents.)
    And yes Billick shit in my cereal. Hence, not a fan.

As discombobulated as this season has been so far, the last thing we need is a screwing we the QB carousel.

Ha! Props on "discombobulated!

8. Re: PTI Topic

That first one was for Houston.

HW-
    We really need to see what he means exactly. If Steve is hurt, he shouldn't start. After reading AW and the SUN, last week could have started to make McNair not so happy. He said he was healthy, BB said he was hurting.

S0-I think we need to wait and see what he does on Gameday.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match- But the 2 QB shuffle has never worked in the NFL. Replacing a QB is not the same as shuffling them.

And please with that Young and Montana nonsense. Whenever Young played, it was because Montana was hurting. He won his ring after Joe moved on.

Another reason this is typical BB non sense is because if he really felt this way, why didn't he continue using Cunningham when Grabass was stinking up the joint?

Look- I 'm just pointing out that 5 of the 6 in the above mentioned shows thought it was a bad idea. You pick the one objector and posted it to back up your point. I was just pointing out the other side.

This isn't even a Boller v McNair thing with me. If McNair is hurt, start Boller. If McNair is healthy, re affirm he is the teams QB. If Steve gets hurt, bring in Boller. It's really pretty simple. As discombobulated as this season has been so far, the last thing we need is a screwing we the QB carousel.

Rack.

This isn't college.

It's a terrible idea.

PP

10. Re: PTI Topic

:)
    A little debate makes Johnny not a dull boy.

Quote Originally Posted by BertJonesMyHero
    Look- I 'm just pointing out that 5 of the 6 in the above mentioned shows thought it was a bad idea.
    I'm not quite sure what you are citing -- I watched PTI myself and they both were fine with the idea (I'm not saying I agree, but that's what I heard them say). And if the other four you're talking about are the "Around The Horn" guys, come on! Some of those guys I like a lot, but are you going to really appreciate the opinions of a pinhead like Woody Paige, or a blowhard like Jay Mariotti?

Bert, you are better than that!

Wink Re: PTI Topic

(1) Not to sound ignorant, but ... what is PTI? Is there a link?

(2) I had mentioned this on another thread: the 2 QB system worked well for George Allen's Redskins in the early 70's, with the aging Sonny Jurgenson frequently relieved by Billy Kilmer. Their two styles were greatly different.

Billick has stated that he may use it, even if McNair recovers. I think it could help more than just in 2007. This would be a good way to stretch McNair's season, possibly milk another year out of him, and evolve Boller into the starter. I would not be surprised that this may have been behind Boller's contract extension -- but we'll never know.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).