Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Os in first

Re: Os in first

1. Here's some stats the Sun MAY have overlooked (I don't read the articles on a regular basis):

Since they lost 2 of 3 to Oakland at home (31-30 at that point), the O's have gone 21-12, their team ERA has dropped from 4.28 to 3.83 (45 points), and they have played 10 series (33 games) ................... with a series record of 8-1-1 * (win-lost-tie). THAT is truly noteworthy!

(* if you treat the three recent games with Washington as one series)

2. After the all-star break, they are about to embark on a VERY challenging, West coast, 10-game road trip (Oakland, Angels, Mariners). If they manage to go 6-4 it will be proof positive that they CAN achieve success in the playoffs - if they make it there, and stay healthy.

3. I personally believe that they have to finish 'turning the tables' on the Yankees if they want to reach a World Series. Because of the HUGE revenue maintaining their abundant talent in reserve, NYY will always hang around as a contender - until a team in the AL East knocks them out of contention. The Orioles cannot afford to lose another season series to them - especially when they play four straight in the Bronx in late September. As the last two seasons illustrate, the Yankees will not go away by themselves no matter how many starters they lose. The best way to accomplish it is NOT to lose a series against them at home. That is why the rain-shortened, Sunday night game on ESPN was so important.

4. Thank you (again) Dan Duquette for: Nelson Cruz AND Steve Pearce, not to mention Ryan Webb.

5. Concerns for remainder of regular season:
    (a) run production at home
    (b) surviving an inevitable slump
    (c) avoiding critical injuries
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 07-14-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Added items 4 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of Showalter, but the O's are playing really well right now. That's for sure.
    wickedsolo,

Now you've done it - you got me started on Showalter. I personally blame Buck for the playoff loss to the Yankees two years ago. In a very tight, well pitched, 5-game series, NOT ONCE did Buck opt for a sacrifice bunt (man on first, zero outs). Sometimes spectator sports can be a form of cruel and unusual punishment.

Blog Entries

When have the Os ever beaten the Yankees in the POs in your life time? Can you say Jeffrey Maher

HARBs would kill for Buck's record even though he won the trophy a year ago after acquiring a dominant team over the decade and with Ozzie Newsome feeding him talent. Buck doesn't have a trophy but both the Yanks and Diamondbacks won it after he turned them around and left. He has a winning record with Os after they lost for over a decade and got them to the POs too for first time since 97.

Buck has turned around 4 lousy teams around and taken them to the POs and has a winning record with Os after over a decade of losing. This should sell anyone on him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/ma...howabu99.shtml
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-15-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    When have the Os ever beaten the Yankees in the POs in your life time? Can you say Jeffrey Maher

HARBs would kill for Buck's record even though he won the trophy a year ago after acquiring a dominant team over the decade and with Ozzie Newsome feeding him talent. Buck doesn't have a trophy but both the Yanks and Diamondbacks won it after he turned them around and left. He has a winning record with Os after they lost for over a decade and got them to the POs too for first time since 97.

Buck has turned around 4 lousy teams around and taken them to the POs and has a winning record with Os after over a decade of losing. This should sell anyone on him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/ma...howabu99.shtml
    Absolutely the right move when Showalter was hired (I was ecstatic after I learned of his track record as a manager). In retrospect, it still is. But, nevertheless, along the way, he was fired before two of those three previous teams won a World Series. I wondered about that. Let us hope that, this time, he has learned enough to stick around for the next big celebration in Balmer.

Blog Entries

I think Buck was fired because he encroached into the GMs office and tried to run things in both cases and he wore out his welcome. I don't see him doing that now. he seems content with winning and his legacy.

I loved his quote when Rex Ryan zapped the Os for not moving the time up for the Ravens home opener last year.

Buck said Rex needs to shut up and mind his own business like trying to beat the Ravens which he has never done.:)

Looks like Buck knows football too. I love both Rex and Buck and wouldn't mess with either one. Buck just looks likes he looking for a fight.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-16-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    wickedsolo,

Now you've done it - you got me started on Showalter. I personally blame Buck for the playoff loss to the Yankees two years ago. In a very tight, well pitched, 5-game series, NOT ONCE did Buck opt for a sacrifice bunt (man on first, zero outs). Sometimes spectator sports can be a form of cruel and unusual punishment.
    IIRC Ryan Flaherty was the O's best hitter in that series, while Adam Jones and Chris Davis would have swung at balls the pitcher rolled to the plate. Even if someone could have laid down a proper sacrifice bunt, I'm not sure we could have scored the runner. Hard to blame that on Buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    1. Here's some stats the Sun MAY have overlooked (I don't read the articles on a regular basis):

Since they lost 2 of 3 to Oakland at home (31-30 at that point), the O's have gone 21-12, their team ERA has dropped from 4.28 to 3.83 (45 points), and they have played 10 series (33 games) ................... with a series record of 8-1-1 * (win-lost-tie). THAT is truly noteworthy!

(* if you treat the three recent games with Washington as one series)

2. After the all-star break, they are about to embark on a VERY challenging, West coast, 10-game road trip (Oakland, Angels, Mariners). If they manage to go 6-4 it will be proof positive that they CAN achieve success in the playoffs - if they make it there, and stay healthy.

3. I personally believe that they have to finish 'turning the tables' on the Yankees if they want to reach a World Series. Because of the HUGE revenue maintaining their abundant talent in reserve, NYY will always hang around as a contender - until a team in the AL East knocks them out of contention. The Orioles cannot afford to lose another season series to them - especially when they play four straight in the Bronx in late September. As the last two seasons illustrate, the Yankees will not go away by themselves no matter how many starters they lose. The best way to accomplish it is NOT to lose a series against them at home. That is why the rain-shortened, Sunday night game on ESPN was so important.

4. Thank you (again) Dan Duquette for: Nelson Cruz AND Steve Pearce, not to mention Ryan Webb.

5. Concerns for remainder of regular season:
    (a) run production at home
    (b) surviving an inevitable slump
    (c) avoiding critical injuries
    With a 3-2 win in Seattle on Sunday, the O's accomplishments on the road trip:

(a) Won a 4-game series (3-1) on the road against a legitimate contender with statistically the best pitching in MLB.
    (b) Went 6-4 on the trip when they easily could have gone 7-3 (blown save in Oakland).
    (c) Record in last 13 series played: 10-2-1.
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 07-30-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Item (b): deleted mistake about game in Oakland.

Blog Entries

They won extra inning game in 12th and won again last night. They keep rolling along with only that blown game vs OAK as it's only blemish. I'd rather lose 10-0 than like that.

But O's are averaging 30,000 pr game and Ravens had 30,000 for a practice.

O's are playing really good ball right now, but Detroit and Oakland both got a lot better today. I think those teams, especially Detroit, are the teams to beat. Now, if Cliff Lee returns to form and we can get him in August, that might even the scales a little bit. Two very big "ifs" there, though.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I'm loving this!

With a 5-3 win over the Yankees on 8/13, the O's accomplishments continue:

(1) Record in last 18 series played: 15-2-1 (counting the four games with Wash. as one series).
    (2) Won 8th series in a row (ALL against teams with winning records).
    (3) Played 10th series in a row against teams with winning records (counting makeup game in DC as a series win (3-1)); won 9 of 10 series.
    (4) Season record thus far against Yankees: 8-3 (18-19 last two seasons).
    (5) Since June 9, team ERA has fallen 62 points (4.28 to 3.66).
    (6) Question: Since June 9, how many times have O's lost back-to-back games?
    Answer: Twice (in 58 games).

I'm really worried about Jimenez pitching every 5th day. Maybe his ankle is acting up again.