Blog Entries

SC rules cops need warrants for cell phones

WOW - In a 9-0 decision, the SC ruled that cops will need search warrants for cell phones. In the past they just needed probable cause like for cars, wallets and brief cases but cell phones are more complex. Of course, homes have always needed warrants and have been protected more than the person on the street. One was sentenced to 15 yrs after getting stopped for driving with expired license and cops found guns in the hood. Then they searched his cell phone and found what appeared to be mob contacts and he was taken in.

No mas.

Over 90% of Americans have smart phones and 58% have even more advance phones.

Score a big one for the privacy groups as cops said their job just got more difficult. This decision was appealed from a lower decision that had nothing to do with the gov't wide use of eves dropping on its citizens.

But how often has the SC been unanimous on something?

Sounds like they're all getting along after the O BUMMER CARE decision-lol.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/25/justic...nes/index.html
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-26-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: SC rules cops need warrants for cell phones

Found this link that SC has unanimously voted 13 times vs OBY on abuse of power issues since 2012.

The tenure of both President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder has been marked by a dangerous push to legitimize a vast expansion of the power of the federal government that endangers the liberty and freedom of Americans. They have taken such extreme position on key issues that the Court has uncharacteristically slapped them down time and time again. Historically, the Justice Department has won about 70 percent of its cases before the high court. But in each of the last three terms, the Court has ruled against the administration a majority of the time.

http://sistertoldjah.com/archives/20...imously-obama/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-27-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Blog Entries

They should have to get warrants for someone's cell phone. No different than someone's computer.

If the person of interest has legit probable cause, the cops aren't going to have to work too hard to get a warrant quickly. Especially because cops can detain someone with probable cause for upwards of 24 hours I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Actually, in some states they can detain someone for up to 48 hours before having to bring formal charges.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They should have to get warrants for someone's cell phone. No different than someone's computer.

If the person of interest has legit probable cause, the cops aren't going to have to work too hard to get a warrant quickly. Especially because cops can detain someone with probable cause for upwards of 24 hours I believe.

Good point on detainment. If it's a bad guy with mob connections it shouldn't be hard for the cops to get a warrant. Detain him like you say for 24 hrs and do the damn paper work.

Geesh.