The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Funny Letter to the Editor re: Warshington

Being that the Panthers tend to be the big NFL news in these parts, I had to laugh when I saw the following letter in today's newspaper (sorry, can't give a link, the most recent letter on their website is dated in November 2013! ) Note that it's reminiscent of some old jokes, but it's still pretty funny...
    ===============
    Senators perfect name for Washington team

This is just too good to pass up.
    In a recent sports section, there was an article stating 50 U.S. senators wrote to the Washington football team asking they change the name "Redskins."
    There used to be a baseball team, the "Washington Senators." Why doesn't the football team adopt that name? Neither the football team, nor the Congress, has done much for the last 10 years or so.
    ===============

Re: Funny Letter to the Editor re: Warshington

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Being that the Panthers tend to be the big NFL news in these parts, I had to laugh when I saw the following letter in today's newspaper (sorry, can't give a link, the most recent letter on their website is dated in November 2013! ) Note that it's reminiscent of some old jokes, but it's still pretty funny...
    ===============
    Senators perfect name for Washington team

This is just too good to pass up.
    In a recent sports section, there was an article stating 50 U.S. senators wrote to the Washington football team asking they change the name "Redskins."
    There used to be a baseball team, the "Washington Senators." Why doesn't the football team adopt that name? Neither the football team, nor the Congress, has done much for the last 10 years or so.
    ===============

Seriously though, Dan Snyder has been great for the Ravens fan base. I'm 26, grew up and live in Montgomery County. When I was a kid, this was 100% Redskins territory. A decade of incompetence, a horrible game day experience, and an asshole owner have provided every reason for people my age to jump ship to such a successful, well run organization. I wish I knew the numbers, but the Ravens fan base here has grown tremendously. Heck, even one of the most popular stations in DC - 100.3, the classic rock station that plays the Beatles, Hendrix, Zeppelin, etc - is now officially a Ravens station.

I say let them flounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Seriously though, Dan Snyder has been great for the Ravens fan base. I'm 26, grew up and live in Montgomery County. When I was a kid, this was 100% Redskins territory. A decade of incompetence, a horrible game day experience, and an asshole owner have provided every reason for people my age to jump ship to such a successful, well run organization. I wish I knew the numbers, but the Ravens fan base here has grown tremendously. Heck, even one of the most popular stations in DC - 100.3, the classic rock station that plays the Beatles, Hendrix, Zeppelin, etc - is now officially a Ravens station.

I say let them flounder.
    Even all the skins fans in MoCo are quick to root on the ravens come playoff times. In fact, during the superbowl run you would swear some of them were lifelong purple and black fans.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcfball View Post
    Even all the skins fans in MoCo are quick to root on the ravens come playoff times. In fact, during the superbowl run you would swear some of them were lifelong purple and black fans.
    Yeah, it's convenient (and smart) that they're in two different conferences, so there's not much conflict of interest. Lots of Steelers fans in MoCo though.

I think it helps also that the Ravens have a very "old school" football image (hard hitting defense, historically strong run game) and that, at least among people my age, Baltimore is seen as trendier/cooler/more counter culture to DC's yuppie vibe. There's definitely a sort of hipster factor going on. Still, I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post

I say let them flounder.
    I've supported them since they came to Baltimore, drove 20 miles to Ravens Roost-Nest in Bowie until they folded five years ago and still tailgate with them in Lot H when I can get a ticket. In the beginning there was a "Gentlemen's agreement" between the two team that said they would not market the Ravens in the DC area and the Deadskins in Baltimore. That changed around 2000 or so, but you could still get the team gear in some Washington area sporting goods places back then. Current owner Steve Biciotti is a There is a Ravens bar in DC at the Mason Inn in Glover Park as well as a meetup group I belong to that watches games at Rock Bottom in Ballston Commons. For the last couple of years all the Ravens games on Fox and CBS have been shown locally, it wasn't like this all the time.