Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    I just find it interesting how barely any teams that recently won the SB haven't exactly had the most talented of offenses. The Pats won all those SBs playing great defense, and looked a lot different to what they do today. The 2011 Giants were probably the best team in terms of receiving talent.

The Ravens were the perfect balanced team in their SB run. Effective passing game, Boldin and Flacco were on fire, but there were other reasons we won that SB. The Ravens held Luck to zero Tds, they held Peyton to 21 points in Denver, and completely destroyed Brady in NE. Holding Brady to 13 points at foxboro is very rare. The defense was also lights out in the SB before the lights literally went out. They also played clutch football at that end drive by Kaepernik.

So while the defense was far from elite, it was a good defense that was clutch down the stretch. I'd argue that had Suggs been healthy, the defense could have been elite.

Re: Why all the hate...??

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    My theory is that the front office realizes they're not that great at scouting offense. So from now on they focus on defense, and just sign free agents from offense that have been vetted in the league
    Not sure exactly how much tongue is in your cheek here, but I actually think it hits very, very close to home.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    And yet my opinion is just as valid as yours.
    Sorry, but no, it's not.

You are just as entitled to hold your opinion as he is to hold his, or Oz to hold his. However, they are clearly not equally "valid"--though it might take several years for their relative validity to become clear.

But thanks for playing, I guess...
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

Teams are built through the draft. I'm not arguing that a sixth rounder could be more valuable than a first rounder in a few years. My point is that you have to make an attempt to improve the offense through the draft, at least occasionally.
    Winning is winning no matter how you get there. When the Ravens miss the playoffs 3 straight years we know there is a big problem. If they continue on the course that they've been on since Harbaugh has been here it's tough to believe than any fan knows better.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Winning is winning no matter how you get there. When the Ravens miss the playoffs 3 straight years we know there is a big problem. If they continue on the course that they've been on since Harbaugh has been here it's tough to believe than any fan knows better.
    No sense in arguing with illogical people
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by PIEtuned View Post
    WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE FREAKING OUT????
    People are freaking out because none of us are really qualified to evaluate the relative talent of the 150-or so draftable players. But we all can see what the team needs are. We all believed that the team needed a tackle, safety and wide receiver -- and probably a step-in-and-start running back if Rice and Pollard can't go.

And what did the team do? They draft a linebacker and defensive tackle at the top of the draft. And the running back they took in the fourth round was thought of as a 6th or 7th round talent who pass blocks and plays special teams.

They failed to take the tackle and wide receiver who many expected to be the first two positions addressed, in a draft that was thought to be deep at these offensive positions. The team was 12th in defense but near the bottom in offensive rankings. [EDIT: I forgot they did trade back into the seventh round to take Campanaro, but you get the idea)

From that perspective it was a bad draft.

Problem is, that is a draft-for-need perspective, and the team doesn't draft that way; we all should know that by now, but we somehow seemed shocked every year when they fail to draft for filling needs. Teams that do this are said to be "reaching" -- the Dolphins taking a tackle in round one, for instance. But that doesn't help make people feel okay.

It comes down to the fact that none of us see what the team sees when they take Mosley and Jernigan over whatever tackle and wide receiver might have been available. So we freak out over unfilled needs.

The reality is that the team has been at its best drafting best players with future needs -- not current needs -- in mind. Jon Ogden played guard until Tony Jones left to play out his final four years in Oakland. Ed Reed played out of position while Rod Woodson finished out this stay in Baltimore. Todd Heap was drafted while Shannon Sharpe was still in the fold. Hell, Joe Flacco was drafted with two veterans ahead of him and no plan to play right away until injuries dictated otherwise. Ray Rice and Willis McGahee. I'd say most of their best picks were of this type.

Conversely, the plug-and-play top picks were slow to produce, or failed outright. Michael Oher. Jimmy Smith. Mark Clayton. Travis Taylor.

We want first round rookies to come in and immediately fix problems. That rarely works.
    Last edited by Shas; 05-12-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Rest assured, there is no comparison between us.
    I surely hope not!

Well I think we'll know a lot more about this draft by next year. If one of the WR's we passed on turns out to be a stud (like Alshon Jeffrey or Keenan Allen), and we don't resign Torrey Smith, then this draft will be considered a missed opportunity. The thing is, there were a lot of WR's we passed on, we'll see how they do.

WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE FREAKING OUT????
    I disagree. Most Ravens fans I know appear to be relatively happy with the draft. Many, like me, look to the current year draft to be not particularly important to the upcoming season. Sure, we could always name a few stand-out rookies, but most are just lucky to get in for a few plays. The impact of the current year draft will more like be felt two/there years down the road.

Obviously there are a few who find fault. Oz can't please everyone.

We have the potential to be a much better team in 2014 and REAAALLY good in years to come…
    Key word is "potential". I don't see this team to be as strong as the 2011-2012 teams. I agree that this team should be better coached - hopefully that would make the difference between wild-card and division champ. I am cautiously optimistic that our guys will win/tie the division at 10-6.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Sorry, but no, it's not.

You are just as entitled to hold your opinion as he is to hold his, or Oz to hold his. However, they are clearly not equally "valid"--though it might take several years for their relative validity to become clear.

His "logic" is fairly comical.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Sorry, but no, it's not.

Do you understand the word "valid"?

It means that a point of contention is based on logic. Since neither Joe or myself are NFL scouts, our opinions are equally valid. I could argue that since my stance involves more than just spouting "Oz is right", it could be considered more valid. However, none of us have access to the scouting reports of the Ravens, and I'm willing to concede that point.

In a few years, after we see how this draft turns out, then the arguments will be based on facts, not opinions. For example, if Donte Moncrief becomes a Pro-bowl player and Jerrigan is out of the league, the fact will be we should've taken the receiver. At the moment, without all the facts, we can only offer opinions.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Of course not. But don't you think that winning would prove easier if we had an offense ranked higher than 29th?
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock