Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Why all the hate...??

So offense was neglected in this year's draft? I would argue that outside of the draft their was a conscious decision to improve the offense and that started with the hiring of Kubiak and several coaches he brought with him not to mention a few players who played under them.

They must really believe in Ricky Wagner as they've been watching the practices and film.
    We still have OTAs and training camp to get through. Let's take a step back and wait until June 1st when Ozzie starts scooping up players cut from other teams who don't figure into the compensatory calcuation

My theory is that the front office realizes they're not that great at scouting offense. So from now on they focus on defense, and just sign free agents from offense that have been vetted in the league

Blog Entries

The media has turned the draft into Christmas. So all the good boys and girls run downstairs to see what it waiting for them under the tree and it doesn't always live up to expectations. Every 1st round pick is described as franchise player or someone who will solidify the position for 10 years or even become the face of the franchise. It's complete BS.

Half these 1st round picks will be average at best and out of the league in a short time at worst. Only a handful will become stars. The Ravens won a Super Bowl 2 years ago without even having a 1st round pick. The Seahawks won a Super Bowl with a 3rd round pick QB and 7th round pick won the MVP of that game and by the way also didn't have a 1st round pick. The 2011 Super Bowl Champion Giants had a 1st round pick who was hurt most of the season and played very little in just 7 games. The fact is that you can completely blow it in round 1 and still win a Super Bowl.

No teams year has just been won or lost because of how they drafted last week. Very few of these players will even have a major impact and the ones that do could come from anywhere as we've seen from Alfred Morris, Anquan Boldin, Ben Roethlisberger, Kiko Alonzo etc... No one knows how good any teams draft was no matter what grade they want to give out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The media has turned the draft into Christmas. So all the good boys and girls run downstairs to see what it waiting for them under the tree and it doesn't always live up to expectations. Every 1st round pick is described as franchise player or someone who will solidify the position for 10 years or even become the face of the franchise. It's complete BS.

Half these 1st round picks will be average at best and out of the league in a short time at worst. Only a handful will become stars. The Ravens won a Super Bowl 2 years ago without even having a 1st round pick. The Seahawks won a Super Bowl with a 3rd round pick QB and 7th round pick won the MVP of that game and by the way also didn't have a 1st round pick. The 2011 Super Bowl Champion Giants had a 1st round pick who was hurt most of the season and played very little in just 7 games. The fact is that you can completely blow it in round 1 and still win a Super Bowl.

No teams year has just been won or lost because of how they drafted last week. Very few of these players will even have a major impact and the ones that do could come from anywhere as we've seen from Alfred Morris, Anquan Boldin, Ben Roethlisberger, Kiko Alonzo etc... No one knows how good any teams draft was no matter what grade they want to give out.
    The speaker of truth strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    This is why you don't work for any NFL franchise.
    And yet my opinion is just as valid as yours. Amazing how that works, isn't it?
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post

With all due respect, I'd argue that Ozzie's opinion is more valid than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by PIEtuned View Post
    WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE FREAKING OUT???? We have the potential to be a much better team in 2014 and REAAALLY good in years to come…
    Go O’s!
    When you say EVERYONE, are you talking to me? (In my best De Niro voice)

I think there might be a couple of posters who are not happy, but certainly not everyone.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    The comparison does not work, but nice try.

People want sizzle. Everybody wants to be the Manning Colts. Everybody wants to be the 2007 Pats. I get it. I watched those teams, and it was beautiful. I remember watching jealously that 2007 Pats team. They didn't just win games. They looked like Madden football games on the basic setting. Game was over at the end of the first quarter. People were saying that about the Broncos this year. They just didn't look beatable. Yet somehow, they don't make it to the finish line.

And here we are, year after year. We never get to see a blowout. Even though we absolutely own the Browns, somehow we are always up by a point in the fourth quarter, watching them drive, wondering if we will hang on. You watch other teams with receivers running wide open down the middle of the field and wonder why every single Ravens pass seems to be from a QB under pressure to a receiver with someone all over him.

So everybody wants the sexy pick. Get the splashy WR, even though those guys never seem to win championships. Get the next Jonathan Ogden. Instead, all we get is Art Jones, Dennis Pitta, Lardarius Webb, Marlon Brown, Justin Tucker, Kelechi Osemele, Jimmy Smith, Matt Elam, CJ Mosley.

But you know what we do have? Lombardi's. Two of them. More per year than any franchise in the NFL. We are crazy spoiled with the success we have had.

"It's never pretty, it's never perfect, but it is us." --John Harbaugh
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

Teams are built through the draft. I'm not arguing that a sixth rounder could be more valuable than a first rounder in a few years. My point is that you have to make an attempt to improve the offense through the draft, at least occasionally.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Not sure why you say everyone is freaking out. I'm very happy with the draft and so are a lot of others. I've really only seen one or two guys who hate it but their post count has to be in the millions in the past few days :)
    You nailed it!

I think it is reasonable to assume that Oz, Harbs, and the rest of the FO are aware that last year's O was not all it should have been. Required changes will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    The comparison does not work, but nice try.
    Rest assured, there is no comparison between us.
    ProFootballMock