Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How good are the other RBs at receiving?

Kubiak's offenses have used passes to the RB fairly frequently and Ray Rice hasn't been a stranger to catching passes either, but now that Ray is facing a possible suspension (and a possible decline in general) does anyone know how good Pierce/Taliaferro/Forsett are at being receivers? I say this because part of Ray's ability to be a three-down back was his receiving ability and it could be a potential factor in the RB competition.

Re: How good are the other RBs at receiving?

Disagree with the premise that Kubiak uses his RB's as receivers ala Rice.

Foster only cracked 60 receptions once and has about 60 receptions the past two seasons.

Kubiak is about play action to set up the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Foster only cracked 60 receptions once and has about 60 receptions the past two seasons.

Strong point, but Ray has been used as a safety valve a good bit here and RBs are expected to be receivers now and even here in the AFC North there is Ray Rice, Gio Bernard, Le'Veon Bell, and now Dri Archer and Terrence West.

Good question and I'm not sure. But sure hope if they have to we are good in that area.
    I would be more concern about, how good are our backs at Pass protection. That would be my question!
    I'm pissed off for greatness!!

Twitter Bmore Finest

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    Good question and I'm not sure. But sure hope of they have to we are good in that area.
    I would be more concern about, how good are our backs at Pass protection. That would be my question!
    Taliaferro excels at pass pro. Its literally the only thing he does at an elite level.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

If that's the case Spammy, here's something you better worry about because Rice could be suspended at the start of the season and Bernard Pierce had surgery and isn't anywhere near ready according to the Ravens site. He'll miss all the OTAs and possibly a good part of training camp and pre-season.

So we might open with the rookie as the main RB but as for blocking, they're supposed to be going away from running anyway in this pass happy league. Maybe DeCosta knows something after all about football by bringing in a RB that can just block. :)
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-17-2014 at 11:17 PM.

From what harbaugh said at the rookie camp pressed was that he had good hands. I think that may be an underrated part of his game. Harbaugh also said that he's 230 lbs without an ounce of fat on him, seems as though he could excel in this offense since he is a strong heavy north south runner in a one cut scheme. Can it be preseason yet? It will be interesting to see how many snaps he gets considering the various issues with the backs above him on the depth chart

Quote Originally Posted by JCro View Post
    From what harbaugh said at the rookie camp pressed was that he had good hands. I think that may be an underrated part of his game. Harbaugh also said that he's 230 lbs without an ounce of fat on him, seems as though he could excel in this offense since he is a strong heavy north south runner in a one cut scheme. Can it be preseason yet? It will be interesting to see how many snaps he gets considering the various issues with the backs above him on the depth chart
    I'm beginning to think that Taliaferro might be the starting back given Pierce's injury history and Rice's suspension. Unless Forsett or some undrafted looks real good in camp I think it's him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

If anything Kubiak uses the Tight Ends the same way other teams use Running Backs as receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    I'm beginning to think that Taliaferro might be the starting back given Pierce's injury history and Rice's suspension. Unless Forsett or some undrafted looks real good in camp I think it's him.
    I agree. I think rice will get a four game suspension that will be reduced to two. Pierce will have limited snaps throughout training camp and preseason. So he will be the number 2 back behind rice during camp, which is huge because he will have a leg up on pierce with the new offense. Then will be the number two when rice comes back. It seems as though we could be getting back to a three headed monster which I loved in 08 I think it was.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If anything Kubiak uses the Tight Ends the same way other teams use Running Backs as receivers.
    :word

Blog Entries

Where does Juszczyk fit into the equation? He was a 4th round pick in 2013, and he apparently can block and catch. Is he forgotten already? ... Bc