Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 134th Overall Pick: Brent Urban

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    It appears they might be playing 11 Dlinemen next year, particularly after they take two more back to back... maybe 3

BTW, I think the 4-3 is a CLEAR step back schematically.
    Seriously dude, maybe lighten up a bit......name Harbaugh ring a bell?
    Think those folks know a little more about this sort of thing than you do.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

I don't care... I don't want him at all.. he's a terrible scheme fit...
    Okay, scout.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This defense is setting up a certain way and some of you have your panties on too tight to see it. What do Matt Elam, CJ Mosley and Arthur Brown all have in common? They are all speed demons that read and react like heat seeking missiles, who will work best when they are kept clean.

If you go into the season with a starting lineup of Tyson, Ngata and Williams, that sounds good, but where is the depth behind it? They won't be kept clean.
    A breath of fresh air, you are.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

How is Jernigan not a scheme fit? He is a tailor made nose tackle in the 3-4. If your going to trash a pick, you shouldnt be clueless about their abilities.

As for Urban, I love the pick. On day 3 you need guys with upside, not guys who will play right away, and Urban fits the bill perfectly. Great size and intelligence, with the ability to be a starter in 2 years

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    A breath of fresh air, you are.
    That's what the Sword is here for.

They clearly lacked depth on the defensive line the past two seasons and it directly correlates to their run defense struggles and drop in overall defensive ranking.

The Ravens defense was best when they could make teams one dimensional.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    QUESTION : Are the Ravens preparing to go to a 4 - 3 defense? Ngata, B. Williams, Canty, Tyson, Cody, K. Lewis-Moore, Jernigan, Urban, and McPhee (?) OR will a couple of these guys get released and pare the Dline roster down? ... Bc
    Well, it's tough, because they have kind of a mix of 3-4 and 4-3 personnel right now. Jernigan isn't a fit in the 3-4 at all, but B. Williams, Urban, and Lewis-Moore aren't good fits in the 4-3. So of the 4 DL drafted in the last 2 years, I don't really see a clear pattern.

The best reason to move to the 4-3 is to get more interior pass rush. But the Ravens still, even after drafting so many DL, do not have a true quick-twitch 3-tech DT in the mold of a Geno Atkins or Ndamukong Suh--nor do they have a DE they can slide inside to play that role, a la Michael Bennett or Justin Tuck. All of the DL they have drafted are run-stoppers, not pass-rushers.

I do think Mosley and Brown are great fits in the 4-3 as WILL and MIKE backers, respectively. Not sure who plays SAM in that set--they don't have anybody currently. So yeah, I think moving to the 4-3 opens up more holes than it solves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    How is Jernigan not a scheme fit? He is a tailor made nose tackle in the 3-4. If your going to trash a pick, you shouldnt be clueless about their abilities.

As for Urban, I love the pick. On day 3 you need guys with upside, not guys who will play right away, and Urban fits the bill perfectly. Great size and intelligence, with the ability to be a starter in 2 years
    I don't believe he has the size, strength, work ethic, or motor to play NT in a 3-4 and would have been a MUCH better fit in a 4-3 defense, next to a disruptive 1 gapper...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post

Right. The middle rounds are about finding value guys who can contribute down the road. And had Urban been healthy, he may have been a second-round pick. That sounds like an Art Jones situation to me. We nabbed him in the fifth round because of injury concerns, and he turned out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well, it's tough, because they have kind of a mix of 3-4 and 4-3 personnel right now. Jernigan isn't a fit in the 3-4 at all, but B. Williams, Urban, and Lewis-Moore aren't good fits in the 4-3. So of the 4 DL drafted in the last 2 years, I don't really see a clear pattern.

The best reason to move to the 4-3 is to get more interior pass rush. But the Ravens still, even after drafting so many DL, do not have a true quick-twitch 3-tech DT in the mold of a Geno Atkins or Ndamukong Suh--nor do they have a DE they can slide inside to play that role, a la Michael Bennett or Justin Tuck. All of the DL they have drafted are run-stoppers, not pass-rushers.

I do think Mosley and Brown are great fits in the 4-3 as WILL and MIKE backers, respectively. Not sure who plays SAM in that set--they don't have anybody currently. So yeah, I think moving to the 4-3 opens up more holes than it solves.
    Thank you, glad to see I'm not the only one who sees it this way.

I don't believe he has the size, strength, work ethic, or motor to play NT in a 3-4 and would have been a MUCH better fit in a 4-3 defense, next to a disruptive 1 gapper...
    "Work ethic?" And, Harbs and Co. have all said that he is scheme versatile. There is no way Jernigan was anything short of pure value at the spot we took him.

Thank you, glad to see I'm not the only one who sees it this way.
    I am ecstatic that you two are not in the war room.

He has excellent strength and motor on film. Not sure about work ethic, but I havent seen any negative reports about it from a credible source. As for size, he is a bit short at 6 foot 1, but weighs around 300 pounds, which is fine. Nowadays, I dont think you need to be 330 pounds to play nose tackle in a 3-4. Plenty of teams including us use odd fronts which require a smaller, more agile nose tackle. I think drafting Jernigan means we finally get to say goodbye to terrence "Manboobs" cody.