Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mock Draft

Mock Draft

This is just a simple mock draft. No trades (though there is one I think could happen) and perfectly balanced between offense and defense.

Rd.1: Calvin Pryor,FS,Louisville
    I don't believe that any of the big tackles will fall to us. I don't believe that Evans or Ebron will fall to us. The Titans, Lions, and Steelers all pick ahead of us and all of them could take a corner, so I don't believe Gilbert, Dennard, or a corner worth the 17th pick will be there. Also I don't believe that between the Bears and Cowboys won't take Ha-Ha before he falls down. Also I'm not confident in Mosley. With that said the Ravens add a rangy, playmaking, hard-hitting safety to complement Matt Elam in the backfield.

Rd.2: Davante Adams,WR,Fresno State
    Steve Smith is signed to essentially a one-year contract, Jacoby Jones has proven that he can't handle the role of #2 receiver, and unless Marlon Brown explodes in his second year like Alshon Jeffrey I don't believe he can be a #2. However Adams can take the role of #2 in the future after a year behind Steve Smith. Adams is 6'2" which gives Flacco another large target to take advantage of, he's got speed, he can go over the middle, he's a good downfield blocker, he can make those shoulder catches and he fights for the extra yards.

Rd.3 Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    In my opinion Zach Martin is more suited to be an LG seeing as he's too small to play at RT, and also he lacks experience on the right side, however Antonio Richardson has plenty of size to play at RT, and despite being 6'6" and 336 pounds he's surprisingly explosive and athletic. Overall he excels at pass-protection and is a road-grader in the run.

Rd.3 Comp. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
    The Ravens don't have a young,versatile Tight End. Sure Harbs and Daniels can say that there insulted by that comment, but all of the insult talk isn't going to make Daniels healthy (he hasn't played 16 games since 2008) or young (he is 32). Fiedorowicz is young, he's a powerful blocker in Iowa's offense, and while he's not as explosive as Austin Seferian-Jenkins or Eric Ebron, he's still a reliable option in the return game.

Rd.4 Comp. Ricardo Allen,CB,Purdue
    Yes,he's short, but he's a fast corner, who backs up his play with gab and confidence and could form a tough secondary along with Webb, Smith,Elam,and Pryor. He also has good skills with the ball and is good with making plays happen after picking off the ball as he averaged 29.3 return yards after the pick and has a school record 4 interception return touchdowns.

Rd.4 Comp. Anthony Johnson,DT,LSU
    Very quick as a defensive linemen. Even when Mingo was around he would be the quickest linemen to the ball, he knows how to get through the blocks to make plays in the run game, and his athleticism helps him make plays all over the field.

Rd.5 Comp. Tyler Gaffney, RB,Stanford
    Big, powerful runner who also won't go down at the first touch, also has the ability to pass block and work as a receiver out of the backfield. Also has the ability to be a workhorse in a run-heavy offense like he did at Stanford. I'll admit I was divided between making this pick and choosing David Fales, but I decided that the Ravens can take Stephen Morris as an undrafted seeing as he fits Flacco's mold better than Fales

Rd.6 Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut
    Big guy who can work in the pass rush and run defense as well as playing a role in coverage. Also has a lot of awareness and acceleration to help make plays.

Personally I think that this draft fills the Ravens holes in multiple areas on both offense and defense, but I'd like to hear your opinions on it.

Blog Entries

Re: Mock Draft

I would hate this draft.

Ricardo Allen, fast? No. 4.61 40-yard dash at 5'9" 185. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Thanks for putting up these alternatives for consideration. My priority is OT; however, if we miss out on the more touted guys, Antonio Richardson seems to be an interesting option, from your capsule write-up.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I would hate this draft.

Ricardo Allen, fast? No. 4.61 40-yard dash at 5'9" 185. No thanks.

I was torn between Allen,Loucheiz Purifoy, E.J. Gaines, and Antoine Exum. Is the Allen pick the only thing you hate about this draft or is there more?

Quote Originally Posted by RopeRaven View Post
    Thanks for putting up these alternatives for consideration. My priority is OT; however, if we miss out on the more touted guys, Antonio Richardson seems to be an interesting option, from your capsule write-up.
    Thank you, also if Tiny wasn't there Jack Mewhort is projected to go in the 3rd round as well. Or possibly Cyrus Kouandijo might seem like less of a reach in the 3rd than in the 1st, but personally I think that Kouandijo in the 3rd is a little generous. Maybe I might flip around Fiedorowicz and Kouandijo.

6. Re: Mock Draft

This actually seems realistic. Better than most mock prayers I've seen posted.

With these types of mocks, it would help to know what other players were available in each round so we can see who you bypassed to make your selections.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    I was torn between Allen,Loucheiz Purifoy, E.J. Gaines, and Antoine Exum. Is the Allen pick the only thing you hate about this draft or is there more?
    Out of that group I would prefer Gaines or Exum.

I'm not big on Calvin Pryor and Davante Adams as a succession of picks. I think Pryor is a good player, but I'm not sure a backfield of Pryor and Elam would be much better than we had last year. Pryor, like Elam, is more of an athletic SS with average cover skills. If we needed a SS? Pryor all the way.

Adams...just not sure about. I don't think he played a lot of top competition, so I'm not sure I see someone that can step in and compete right away. I'd be a little miffed if they went Adams over guys like Moncrief, Matthews, Robinson, and so on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    With these types of mocks, it would help to know what other players were available in each round so we can see who you bypassed to make your selections.
    :word

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I dont know if you consider Martin to be one of the "big" tackles but I absolutely expect he will be there at 17. I am not personally that high on him but given our need on OL that's probably a pick you have to make. (esp if the big CBs are gone and if you think 17 is too high for a DT) Pryor is solid but I dont know if he would be a fit here...... and Im not crazy about going S (really SS) round 1 in back to back years.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Blog Entries

I don't like the Pryor pick, mainly for the reasons Wicked mentioned. The Ravens are going to move Elam to SS, which is a more natural position for him. Pryor is another safety best suited for SS and drafting him would recreate the problem that the Ravens had last year.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Out of that group I would prefer Gaines or Exum.
    I could be wrong, but doesn't Antone Exum have the ability to play safety as well? That's another one of those versatile guys that provide options to a creative defensive coordinator. I think he would be a good pick at 134, 138 or 175. My only concern would be the injury history.